O/T: Warm Enough

Page 2 of 9

===============================================================================Think it's bad now? Wait until they figure out that it is caused by our orbit. There will be people saying that we need to build rockets to push the earth back into a comfortable orbit.
On 7/2/2012 5:00 PM, CW wrote:

The government can't take on that task in the foreseeable future. Even the elected cannot fathom adding 3 more zero's to the word trillion.
"Steve Barker" wrote:

------------------------------------ Your command of the language to document your lack of knowledge of existing information is comical.
Lew

Will you change your mind next Winter? I didn't think so.
On 6/30/2012 8:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The main "greenhouse gas" is water vapor, so by your logic forest fires are caused by high humidity.

Whether or not part of the warming trend is NOT man-made, it seems clear to me that recklessly adding greenhouse gases to the atmosphere is not smart. So stop farting. Ride you bicycle more, etc, etc.
--
Best regards
Han

AFAIAC, global warming is already a fact. At the very least I cannot escape logic that with all we do (have done), there ought to be global warming. The reason to be alarmist is that the global changes appear to be going on rather rapid for "regular" climate change, and so it is much more difficult for flora and fauna, including agriculture etc, to adjust. Add to that the thought that some of the reasons for speeding up global warming may be a feed-back (or feed-forward) mechanism by which it goes faster and faster, like a rock rolling down a mountain, and it becomes real scary. Everything humanity does depends on agriculture, and if that needs to all move to higher latitudes, ...

Yes.
You got it!
--
Best regards
Han
On 6/30/2012 10:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

On 7/1/12 8:00 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

Expect that, it's been hotter.... much hotter. Hint: Greenland... it was green. :-)
And tell me this, why is it ok for man-caused GW alarmists to use weather to support their claims but when when GW opponents use it, the alarmists smugly chastise us for confusing climate with weather?
--

-MIKE-

On 7/1/2012 11:13 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Observations
1. Those caught up in the hype are only interested in the here and now, using past data and trends is way too complicated to form a logical reality. They want to use the information from those that are making money off of the hype.
2. Those caught up in the hype believe that cleaning up the air and environment will lessen the worlds annual Summer season. Like #1 above they don't like to admit that this so called "change" has happened on their watch. Prior to cleaning up the environment and pollution there was no "change".
tiredofspam wrote:

Tobacco causes cancer? Science has YET to define the mechanism. All that the health folks can say is that there is a very, very strong correlation. But science also holds that correlation is not causation.*
Fracking is harmless? Again, geologists and others have not yet shown whether fracking is or is not harmless.
SS will be there for us? We have no way of knowing for sure whether SS will be there, and we cannot know until the time arrives.
Your examples are based on speculation, guesses, perhaps a tendency, but not on reproducible experiments. Just like global warming, er... "climate change."
--------- * There is strong "evidence" (if you hold that correlation implies causation) that pickles are hazardous! Virtually everyone who ate at least one pickle before 1900 is, today, either dead or has white hair and no teeth.
On 7/1/2012 1:12 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Really... you are a total misguided idiot.

So the fact that people can light their water coming out of the tap on fire is nothing. No fact. You stick your head in the ground... far in the ground..

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 13:31:35 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

The fact that people can and do commit fraud is no surprise to anyone. The fact that this fraud isn't reported by the press, isn't any more surprising.
says...

Nope. If tobacco was the cause then everybody who smoked would get cancer. It's not a cause, it's a predisposing factor. George Burns was seldom seen without a cigar and lived to be over a hundred. If "smoking causes cancer" he would certainly have gotten cancer. There are many other examples of people who smoke heavily and live to ripe old ages and never get cancer.

shown
Prove that it was caused by fracking. Pennsylvania had high methane levels in the water long before fracking. Heck, prove that the various videos that are being shown are even tap water. For all you know there could be a gasoline tank on the other side of the wall.
One could only hope that it happens to you, that a gas company puts a well near your home, and you find out first hand.
That would be the only way you'd believe.
I'm done with this thread. I guess I started it, but some of you have really way out thinking, that it's all fabrication everywhere. You believe the companies first where I don't trust the companies.
I guess you didn't watch any of the investigative reporting on some of these fracking issues. Yea sure there are gas tanks attached to peoples water. It's called the ground water and fracking.
Colorado was the study location. And the problem was clearly documented, including how far the problem had spread. Previous water tests were looked at, and of course the drilling companies said it must be something else.
Colorado has seperate mineral rights from land rights. So the people have no control. And wherever they are drilling the water gets polluted and contaminated. And eventually the problem spreads out much farther.
But you're right, and I'm wrong.
I can't prove anything to any of you. So I'm done with these arguments. I only hope you learn firsthand. Then you'll be enlightened.

On 7/3/2012 10:31 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

Well, you are most definitely suspect in your condemning an entire industry (an industry which has brought you the building blocks of most of the modern conveniences of life since the late 1800's) based on your above blanket belief/sentiment.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Just limiting my discussion to fracking. By itself, the process should be just fine. It's the unintended parts that are the problem. It is without doubt that this type of mining can generate small earthquakes. Thus it is entirely possible that at some point a path is generated by which the gas that is the aim of the drilling also gets into groundwater or aquifers rather far above the intended mining area. On top of that, there is the pollution generated by the waste water and waste chemicals that are now most often just dumped in situ or trucked away and dumped in the nearest legal area. All legal pollution that isn't helping anyone. Add to that probems with insufficient sealing of the drill holes, and the disturbances of the neighbors.
I'm all in favor of getting the gas, but there needs to be far more control over the consequences. It may indeed be proven that the water coming from the faucet isn't flammable from the gas the drillers went for, but ther is gas there now, where it wasn't before. Etc, etc.
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/3/2012 11:06 AM, Han wrote:

I'm not a geologist, but I was raised by one (who was intent on teaching me continually about the exploration end of the business from day one), grew up in the oil and gas "bidness", and have hired a few in a past life. I agree about the potential for frac'ing, particularly in some formations, causing problems.
I also think that corporate misbehavior, particularly of the criminal kind, like yesterday's announced GlaxoSmithKline settlement, should be punished by prison time for those personnel in the corporate hierarchy who both authorized it and/or looked the other way.
I spent two tours in the Army as the Commanding Officer of a military unit, one in a combat zone. In each case it was _I_ who was ultimately responsible for everything that happened in that command during my tenure.
Had there been criminal activity of which I had even a suspicion, there is NO doubt that I would have been held accountable and paid the price in military prison.
I expect our congress, and legal system, to hold corporate involvement in criminal activity, regardless of the industry, to that same standard ... unfortunately the lobbyist, lawyers and legal system work to insure that will never be so.
Another cause for disillusionment, as age and somewhat more wisdom set in ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I spent some vacation time on the same trip as a member of the unit that investigated the Massey mine disaster <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Big_Branch_Mine_disaster> I asked point blank whether the higher ups in the mining company were responsible. And he said Oh yes, they were, but it is all about plausible deniability, they are too insulated by lawyers etc. Now the company that bought Massey did get saddled with much more liability than they had counted on ...
And yes, I think that higher ups in companies like SKF, Barclays, JP Morgan, &tc, &tc should spent some time in the klink.
--
Best regards
Han

Poor baby ... bless her little pea picking heart. LOL
http://preview.tinyurl.com/86lbrg5
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010