O/T: Warm Enough

Simple fact, that is what has been happening since the ice age. And those glaciers that are melting happen to be situated over a line of volcanoes. What is under the glaciers is warmer than what is on top.

Reply to
Leon

Nope they cant do that, it has been studied and found to cause cancer.

Reply to
Leon

Got Netflix?

Bring up a copy of "Windfall" and watch it. A small town in upstate NY wrestling with the fallout from wind turbines and the resultant political, health, government and corporate greed issues.

Ironic thing is that to a man, the opponents are all admitted liberals/progressives who vocally support "alternative energy" ... that is, until they experienced first hand exactly what that concept really brings in human costs.

Much more than a NIMBY presentation, it should be required viewing BEFORE anyone runs their mouth on these issue without being fully informed of the human, economic and social costs these programs entail ... including the enormous increase in greenhouse gas emission from the collateral technologies required to run them.

Inform yourself, first ...

Reply to
Swingman

Not true.

1934 was the third warmest year in the U.S. but only ranks 48th warmest globally.

2012 from Jan. to May ranks the 10th warmest with May ranking the 2nd warmest May globally. We'll have to see how the year finishes.

Globally, the 20 warmest years have all occurred since 1987. The temps are gathered from world wide weather service records, include land and ocean temps with the mean being averaged between

1901 and 2000.

Mike

Reply to
Mike O.

------------------------------------ Your command of the language to document your lack of knowledge of existing information is comical.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------- Core samples have documented a thermal foot print that goes back several hundred years.

The last 10 years have shown a continuing increase in annual temperatures.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When we talk of global warming we are talking the whole earth not just a few insignificantly few square miles of the tens or thousands of square miles on earth surface. So it may be 105 here but that has nothing to do with global warming.

I snicker every time I see someone telling me the the total earth's atmosphere has changing 0.2 degree F when the temperature range on the earth surface varies over 100 degree from one end of the earth to the other on any given hour of the day.

OR when the global warming "scientist" say that global warming has raised the sea level on one side of the Atlantic and not the other by

2mm, when the oceans changes 1000 mm on the average with every tide change. I see the water raise on one side of the bowl and not the other every time I get a drink.

OR when they tell me the pH of the ocean has changed less the the accuracy of the pH standards they use in make the measurements.

If they took these "statistical" analysis to generate these numbers to the FDA for the approval of a drug they would be laughed out of the building.

With it so hot there have been days with NO air movement. ( Windmills need steady 12 mph winds to operate. The bigger they are the higher the wind speed.) I am sure the windmills provided a lot of supplemental electricity to assist the conventional and nuclear plant on these days when every ones air conditioners were at a maximum.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

---------------- Nope.

-----------------

--------------------------------- Who funded the study?

Oil? Coal? Other?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mike O. wrote in news:kvr1v71pamehnqrq62pnpir4b14kelm9rn@

4ax.com:

Oddly enough, they've all occurred since the collapse of the Soviet Union -- and the consequent shutdown of a large number of temperature monitoring stations in one of the coldest parts of the world, because the Russians could no longer afford to maintain them.

Ya think that might skew the average a bit higher?

Reply to
Doug Miller

A "factual impossibility"? What pompous certainty an ego. The Gaia religion is heard from.

Reply to
krw

I don't have an argument against greenhouse gases affecting global climate. But I believe the wildfires are as much to do with poor forest management (suppressing files for 100 years has built up a huge backlog of combustible material) than the warmer climate.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

------------------------------------ An even bigger problem is the pine bark beetle which have killed massive amounts of trees, especially here in SoCal.

Once dead, fires can't be far behind.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Doug Miller wrote in news:XnsA083E3E51F3D8dougmilmaccom@88.198.244.100:

I'd hope that they use a correction factor for that of some kind. OTOH, when my parents moved their last time, in 1947, the street was dirt, as were many of the adjoining streets, however small their number was. Since, the streets have all been blacktopped, and widened. Moreover the surface area of paved roads in Holland has probably been increased

10-20 fold if not more. Somewhere there ought to be statistics on that. When you pave dirt with blacktop, build housing (read roofs), you probably increase the heat retention of those surface several fold. That same process has occurred throughout the world. Nowadays every family has 2 cars, where they used to have a few bicycles. Almost everyone now has A/C, which doesn't use up heat, but produces it. Reminder: In 1976 almost no subway cars in New York City had A/C. Now they all do - ergo lots of net heat production. All that without invoking green house gases. Add those to the mix, and it is no wonder that things on average over the whole world are getting warmer. Yes, Earth's climate has in the geological past gotten warmer and colder, even in historical scales. But please, PLEASE, do understand that we are affecting things ON TOP OF NORMAL CLIMATE changes.

As far as sea level changes are concerned, perhaps you don't care now that sea levels are increasing. Rest assured that much planning and preparing is going on in Holland, where half the country would be inundated if all the current sea-defenses were inoperable. Ask London City government whether they like another 1953.

Reply to
Han

Who said anything about a "study"??

... could that possibly be part of the problem? That folks simply don't take the time to read past their preconceived notions and political kneejerk reactions?

Reply to
Swingman

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

AFAIAC, global warming is already a fact. At the very least I cannot escape logic that with all we do (have done), there ought to be global warming. The reason to be alarmist is that the global changes appear to be going on rather rapid for "regular" climate change, and so it is much more difficult for flora and fauna, including agriculture etc, to adjust. Add to that the thought that some of the reasons for speeding up global warming may be a feed-back (or feed-forward) mechanism by which it goes faster and faster, like a rock rolling down a mountain, and it becomes real scary. Everything humanity does depends on agriculture, and if that needs to all move to higher latitudes, ...

You got it!

Reply to
Han

The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is roughly equivalent to comparing the chalk outline of a football referee to the entire field (including sidelines and goals) after he was stabbed repeatedly by irate fans for making three separate bad calls against the home team. The increase in CO2 for the past century corresponds to the stain left on the field as he bled out.

P.S. After this interruption, the remainder of the game, some nine minutes, was played with NO penalty calls at all.

Reply to
HeyBub

This sounds like an obamanism, it is somebody else fault. We all know that the climate changes of the past 1,000,000 years were all the fault of man and his destruction of the environment, in his greedy pursuit of profits.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

That is exactly why people believe in global warming, they believe what the KoolAid distributors are telling them and that is gospel cause it was on TV.

Reply to
Leon

maintain them.

And none of the doomsdayers seem to factor in the that Antarctica is growing by leaps and bounds.

Reply to
Leon

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 08:38:09 -0400, Keith Nuttle

You can try to dismiss it as much as you want, but man as a population is more now than anytime in history and his use of fossil fuels has never been so great.

There always comes a point when the obvious (and common sense) supercedes any other explanation.

Reply to
Dave