O/T: Vista

My local telephone company was Southern New England Telephone and had nothing to do with the development of operating systems. However if your view of Bell Labs is that it was "a money-losint division of your local telephone company" then I don't care what the problem is, you are part of it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A REAL computer and DELL in the same sentance???

Reply to
clare

For those not in the know, when measuring memory, 1 KB=2^10 bytes, 1 MB=2^20 bytes, 1 GB=2^30 bytes. For measuring most everying else, like network speed for instance, 1 Kb = 10^3 BITS, 1KB =10^BYTES, M =10^6, G=10^6.

You can generally trust manufacturers to choose units which make their product look it's best.

Reply to
Bill

Oops G = 10^9.

Reply to
Bill

It also lacks the urgent need for them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

This explains the confusion pretty well:

Puckdropper

And why not, they are made in China, just like most HF stuff.

Bob...

Reply to
Bob/Barb Alexander

Yeah, somewhere in the industry the computer people decided to redefine what k,M and G mean based on powers of 2.

Typo correction: G=10^9 (US Billion, most other's 1000 Million)

For those not in the know, when measuring memory, 1 KB=2^10 bytes, 1 MB=2^20 bytes, 1 GB=2^30 bytes. For measuring most everying else, like network speed for instance, 1 Kb = 10^3 BITS, 1KB =10^BYTES, M =10^6, G=10^6.

You can generally trust manufacturers to choose units which make their product look it's best.

Reply to
Josepi

So is the iPad, one of the best made electronic devices out there.

It's not always where it's made, it is always the attitude with which it's made.

Reply to
Swingman

File allocation tables need room, not sure what replace those but some type of index is needed on the drive.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:Lq6dnYPkkd- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

More likely, the video chip is stealing system RAM for its own use. It's extremely common in machines without a separate video card. (Even if you have one, if the on-board video isn't disabled it will still steal the RAM.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Doh! Most likely NOT what I said. I was suddenly thinking of a drive being reported smaller in capacity than sold as.

Reply to
Leon

Southern New England Telephone was, and is, an operating division of AT&T. The company now does business as AT&T Connecticut.

Bell Labs never made a proft; it was an expense division.

Reply to
HeyBub

Check again, moron.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Check YOUR facts. Prior to 1986, The Southern New England Telephone Company had been a minority holding of AT&T until February 1986, when AT&T withdrew its

23% holding. SNET then became its own company, operating a telecommunications sales division, Sonecor Systems Division, which began operations on January 1, 1983 and sold equipment in competition with AT&T before the Bell System divestiture. SNET also operated SNET America, which sold long distance services within Connecticut.

Under threats of a hostile takeover, Southern New England Telephone underwent a restructuring in 1986, creating Southern New England Telecommunications as the holding company of SNET and its related businesses.

Southern New England Telecommunications was acquired by SBC Communications in 1998.

SNET Corporation was merged into AT&T Teleholdings, formerly Ameritech, in 2006 and ceased to exist.

Reply to
clare

If AT&T owned 20% of MY company, you bet I do what they said.

Reply to
HeyBub

Even if whoever owned the other 80 percent told you not to?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Depends how many "owners" the other 80% was spread over.

Reply to
clare

So how many "owners" would it take before you obeyed the 20% instead of the 80%?

Reply to
J. Clarke

If none of the others owned more than 10% I'd "consider" listening to the one that owned 20, but it would depend on how well the 80 agreed.

Reply to
clare