O/T: Vista

Page 2 of 4
On 12/18/2011 10:41 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

In the choir .. XPS has always been pushed by Dell as a quality, _business class_ machine.
Had I been in the habit of buying their consumer Inspiron label, I would likely have not been informed enough to even remark on the experience.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

So far I like my Asus X53E. It was not expensive. Core i3 2.1GHz, 8 MB RAM, Win7 Pro 64 bit.
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/18/2011 11:37 AM, Han wrote:

The components in the Dell are fine, it is the construction that is below par. Keyboard rattles and flexes, there are gaps where the parts fit together, etc. Put those two machines side by side, the new one and the one built six years ago, and the difference _quality_ can be both seen and felt.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Allow me to be the first to shockingly exclaim "8MB RAM?"
No wonder it wasn't expensive. ;-)
On 12/18/2011 5:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
in

Kinda skinny, ain't it. Mine has 1,000 times more RAM. ;~)

<sheepish grin>
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

It's really 2^10 = 1024 times as much. Geeze... : )
On 12/18/2011 11:11 PM, Bill wrote:

No, a gig is 1000 times more than a meg. He probably should have said 8.192 meg. ;~)

Actually, the properties under mycomputer says: 8.00GB (7.79 GB usable) </story>
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

For those not in the know, when measuring memory, 1 KB=2^10 bytes, 1 MB=2^20 bytes, 1 GB=2^30 bytes. For measuring most everying else, like network speed for instance, 1 Kb = 10^3 BITS, 1KB ^BYTES, M ^6, G^6.
You can generally trust manufacturers to choose units which make their product look it's best.
Bill wrote:

Oops G = 10^9.

This explains the confusion pretty well: http://xkcd.com/394 /
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Yeah, somewhere in the industry the computer people decided to redefine what k,M and G mean based on powers of 2.
Typo correction: G^9 (US Billion, most other's 1000 Million)
------------ "Bill" wrote in message
For those not in the know, when measuring memory, 1 KB=2^10 bytes, 1 MB=2^20 bytes, 1 GB=2^30 bytes. For measuring most everying else, like network speed for instance, 1 Kb = 10^3 BITS, 1KB ^BYTES, M ^6, G^6.
You can generally trust manufacturers to choose units which make their product look it's best.
On 12/19/2011 7:25 AM, Han wrote:

File allocation tables need room, not sure what replace those but some type of index is needed on the drive.

More likely, the video chip is stealing system RAM for its own use. It's extremely common in machines without a separate video card. (Even if you have one, if the on-board video isn't disabled it will still steal the RAM.)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 12/20/2011 3:53 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Doh! Most likely NOT what I said. I was suddenly thinking of a drive being reported smaller in capacity than sold as.
On 12/18/2011 10:55 AM, Swingman wrote:

I believe that Dell's top of the line computer is http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx?~ck=mn
On 12/18/2011 12:55 PM, Leon wrote:

The Alienware line is for the Apple fanbois who were forced to switch to a PC ... much too fancy for any business. :)
Their standard business line is Vostro, which is basically much less expensive than either the XPS or Alienware machines.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 12/18/2011 10:41 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Because of the quality issue and ESPECIALLY because of the Indian tech service my 8th Dell order was my last. My last computer was built by my neighbor, he runs his own computer business.

I had to stop that when I moved to Oregon. There are no Asian computer stores here to work with. I used to build my own from selected components but can't do it any more, at least not inexpensively.
And speaking of the complete other side of the world...
A guy called me at 4:51 this morning to tell me that he was Charley Dunn and he wanted to talk to me about my computer maintenance. His Indian accent was so strong, it took a few seconds for me to even recognize it as Indian, with inklings of English mixed in. I said "Thank you, but I don't need your services. Goodbye." As I was hanging up, I heard him continuing his spiel. I get 2 or 3 of these Indian marketing calls every week, and I tell most of them to put my name on the Do Not Call list. Every one of them tells me they will. Uh, huh. I usually stop them in midstream when I hear the Indian dialect, and ask if this is a sales call. Half are honest and say yes, when I tell that I'm not buying, and PPMOYDNCL. The other half start their spiel anyway so I yell "PPMOYDNCLthanksgoodbye" CLICK, until next week.
I'm still waiting for someon to put a 60kV button on the phone so we can let these obnoxious marketers (who won't take no for an answer) exactly how we feel about their calls.
-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold