O/T: Veal

Page 2 of 2

On 9/3/10 12:56 PM, Robatoy wrote:

We have a local guy- beef farmer dude with real mud on his boots- who comes to the local farmers' market. He sells flash-frozen hamburger patties from grass fed, free range cows and the difference is night and day. Taste, texture, digenstion and.... ehem.... evacuation... everything is much, much better.
--

-MIKE-

Grass fed beef, properly finished, is WAY better than feedlot (corn fed) beef in just about all ways. Corn fed is "marbled" with fat, making it naturally a bit more moist - which appears as more tender - but also higher in calories etc.
< snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

---------------------------------- You can order online, they ship
HearstRanch.com
Lew

http://www.nikuya.ca
On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 14:09:08 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Hearst is shipping out Patty now? Har!
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:46:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Grass fed beef is also almost totally immune to E. coli. Corn in a cow's stomach is where it originated. Grass doesn't allow it to grow.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
On 9/3/2010 9:26 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yup. And the fat on grass fed is actually good for you - it has some of the same Omegas in it that salmon does.
The enemy of good health is corn and potatoes. Cut those out of your diet and you will (I believe) live longer, better, and thinner...

Unfortunately, in these here United States, cutting corn out of your diet is like trying to cut nitrogen out of your breathing. Next time you're in the supermarket, read the ingredients list in most any processed food. Better yet, watch a couple food documentaries, Food Inc and King Corn. BTW, HFCS is corn.
nb
Is that similar to Soylent Green is Human?
<snip>

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:11:36 -0400, Michael Kenefick

"Food, Inc." was a very scary and thought-provoking movie. I haven't yet seen "King Corn".

Ayup. I'd rather guzzle DDT than HFCS.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

It's more about the all pervasive influence of govt subsidized corn in the US --it's in our cars, ferchrysakes, but in that case not so bad-- and not so much about Monsanto. For a scarier look at Monsanto, look for the French documentary:
"The World According to Monsanto -- A documentary that Americans won?t ever see"
On the negative side, you're not gonna see the DVD from Netlix. On the plus side, you can watch it on the web. This is why a neutral internet is so important and why the powers that be are working so hard to stifle it.
nb

ADM
Mark

What do you mean by "properly finished"?
nb
On 9/3/2010 11:06 PM, notbob wrote:

"Finishing" ordinarily refers to how cows are fattened for butchering at then end of their growth cycle. Personally, I like to "finish" a good steak with a Phelps Insignia or a Sterling Reserve Cab ... but that's just me. A good Montecristo is also a rather nice finish ...