O/T: Veal

Page 1 of 2

I recently said I refused to eat veal because of how the animal was forced to live it's short life.
The current bru ha ha showing a secret video tape of actual living conditions and now involving Bob Barker was shot at a farm less than 3 miles from where my mother lived.
Have driven past this farm on many occasions.
For those interested:
http://tinyurl.com/2bbhv77
Lew
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 05:48:03 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Did anyone find a link to the video they were discussing? I didn't.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2bujv4l
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 09:42:47 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

I imagine that most of us feel that those sick bastards belong in prison, or worse. But that was dairy farm abuse, not a veal pen abuse video.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

....and you are imposing your views on of this totally unrelated subject to this newsgroup, why?
nb
On 9/02/10 12:49 PM, notbob wrote:

It is clearly marked as off-topic. If you don't like off-topic stuff, don't read it.
--
Froz...

If you don't like my reply, ignore it.
nb
On 9/2/10 12:17 PM, notbob wrote:

What grade are you in?
--

-MIKE-

Have you considered hiding your Cheerios so no one can piss in them?
Max
On 9/2/2010 7:48 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Wow ... something on which Lou and I agree ... I have to go lay down and rest now ...
Tim Daneliuk

Mr. D,
You're an eclectic and enigmatic person. I admire that .And agree with you, kinda', sometimes, despite it all.
-Zz
On 9/2/2010 11:36 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

Shhhhhhh don't tell anyone - it'll ruin your reputation :)

Yes, there is some pepper in the fly shit sometimes.

Let the punishment fit the crime. Stuff the perps until they collapse! Don't know if it does much good, but we only buy eggs from free range, medication free chickens & same for the chickens we eat. Friend has some hens and we get as many of our eggs as possible from her.
On 9/2/10 10:03 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

I forgot what chicken tasted like until the wife started getting free range, hormone-free birds from whole foods. The difference is very noticeable on the palate.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Okay, I'll bite. Wait til I get hold of one. I can't eat the flavor-enhanced versions they sell in most stores without sweating from an allergic reaction.
Bill

The difference in the taste and color of the eggs is astonishing. You'll never order eggs in Elmer's again.
On 9/3/10 2:47 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Eggs are eggs to me... maybe I'm not refined enough. :-)
But I think anyone would notice the improved (or should I say, "un-degraded") taste in the meat.
--

-MIKE-

I can't say that I have really tasted the difference between the two types of eggs, but the visuals are very obvious. The ones we get from a farm, cook up much nicer, as the yoke sits proud like a golfball and the colour is a healthy bright dark yellow. The store-bought ones are snotty and the yolk can barely hold itself together without oozing into the whites. A much healthier egg preparation experience...AND... they're lower cost.
Now meat, on the other hand, is a whole different story. I have had free range turkey fed on proper corn and stuff and I actually like it somewhat. Store-bought turkey has that ...errrmm... turkey taste I don't like. Just like lamb. I have had it fresh and it doesn't have that hand-cream-lanolin taste I despise. Pork, same thing. I have enjoyed small farm piglet....to die for. The store-bought pork around here is pretty decent, but. Beef, well, you get what you pay for. Costco here is finding some good suppliers. I also find pork freezes better than most meat. Of course we use a vacuum-sealed system. That makes allll the difference in the world.
Now... WTF is with those chicken- leg and wing prices? That used to be garbage. (Still is, unless they happen to be attached to a BBQ chicken... but to pay a buck-a-wing? And then burn your lips off with weapons-grade sauces? Call me uncool.)
9 out of 10 people prefer the taste of frozen tuna in their sushi over the fresh stuff.
"Robatoy" wrote:
Now... WTF is with those chicken- leg and wing prices? That used to be garbage. (Still is, unless they happen to be attached to a BBQ chicken... but to pay a buck-a-wing? And then burn your lips off with weapons-grade sauces? Call me uncool.) ----------------------- Around here, all fresh meat prices have increased about 50% in the last year.
Can still buy family packs of chicken thighs (12 pieces) for $0.99/lb.
Lew