O/T: TWEET OF THE DAY

TWEET OF THE DAY
"We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact checkers."
-Romney pollster Neil Newhouse
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The "fact checkers" to whom Newhouse was referring were self-appointed main-stream media types. The issue involved a Romney ad in which the ad stated "Obama quitetly announced plans to eliminate work requirements for welfare recipients." The New York Times asserted that the claim was false. Others picked up the chant, including Politico, Huffington Post, FactCheck.org, and others.
"The argument stems from the decision by the federal Department of Health and Human Services that it can grant waivers to states relating to the law's mandated work requirements for welfare recipients." http://www.theroot.com/views/working-understand-welfare-debate
The claim was not false.

Here is a more nuanced discussion: <http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/mr-romneys-welfare - politics/2012/08/09/81f89368-e24b-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_story.html> Of course, it would be moot if in the name of less government, states would just refuse federal assistance. Sort of like a real "we built that".
--
Best regards
Han