O/T? Trouble with my Remington .22 cal Nail driver

I haven't had a need to use the above tool for a while. But it worked like a charm when last I used it. I loaned it to a friend, since then and haven't even looked at it. I had a small job to do the other day and when I tried to fire some nails into metal and cement block, the cartridge wouldn't fire. I tried a number of them thinking I had gotten some duds. Still no luck. I thought maybe the firing pin is broken and tried to disassemble the tool. There is a nut on the top of the handle that I think needs to be removed to gain access; however, it just turns. The nut is smashed down pretty heavily on the rod that it secures and don't know how to get it off yet. I would have to clamp the plastic handle and then try to use a wrench on it. It could well ruin the plastic handle.
Anyone with some suggestions as to how to proceed on this? Another site to go to? Thanks,
Leif

Try going to the manufacture's site to get the various trouble shooting instructions, manuals, etc. Check the breech to make sure that part of a used casing isn't stuck in it. I had a similar problem several years ago and it seems to me that that's where the problem lay. The new load wouldn't fully seat thereby preventing firing.
Leif Thorvaldson wrote:

Contact the friend you loaned it to to discuss replacement?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Have you tried fresh new loads yet? Is there an indentation near the rim of the cartridge?

That's why I thought the problem lay with the firing pin. Only problem now is: How do I get it out of the tool? Will I have to clamp the plastic handle in a vise and wrench off the nut. I can't seem to find any tech support for Remington on this tool. Any ideas? Thanks,
Leif
If the thread is mushed over from hammering, you will never unscrew it. Last time I looked these things were only about $20.00, just buy another one, possibly this time go for the more expensive trigger operated version.

ws: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Buy the HILTI (albeit just slightly more expensive).
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

======> Thanks, guys. The HILTI is a bit pricey for my use; however, the trigger operated Remington seems to be the way to go. As usual, great advice on this group!
Leif