O.T. (totally, but don't know who else to ask!)

I'm trying to find information and pictures of the 4-Allison-engined Dragster from the '60s; I've DAGS loads of times but all I can find is Tommy Ivo, and it's not him. Can anyone suggest where I might successfully search,please?

If Google doesn't help then I'd suggest posting in alt.fan.cecil-adams. Even if no-one there can help, the ensuing discussion might be interesting. :-)

I don't recall a dragster, but there was Mickey Thompson's four engine land speed record car. He used Pontiac engines with blowers http://www.nhra.com/museum/features/feature19.html
Art Arfon's Green Monster had an Allison engine http://www.thrustssc.com/thrustssc/Club/Secure/Art_Arfons.html
http://www.landracing.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=L&Product_Code GMP1&Category_Code=SRPC
I cannot imagine a dragster with four Allisons given the size of the engines.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Tue, Sep 27, 2005, 1:55pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net (LimeyLurker) mumbled: I'm trying to find information and pictures of the 4-Allison-engined Dragster from the '60s; I've DAGS loads of times but all I can find is Tommy Ivo, and it's not him. Can anyone suggest where I might successfully search,please?
google Quad Al Jim Lytle
http://img224.exs.cx/img224/5521/picture0100pm.jpg
Anyway, Tommy Ivo used four Buick engines.
JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fred
Thanks, JT, that's the one! (When all else fails, ask on the Wreck!) But, Buick-shmuick, Tommy Ivo's only had 32 cylinders; this one had 96, and 2 plugs per cylinder!

Nahmie
Wed, Sep 28, 2005, 4:16pm snipped-for-privacy@madbbs.com (NormanD.Crow) is puzzled: HUH? 4 times 12 was 48 when I went to school.
He used new math.
JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fred
Wed, Sep 28, 2005, 4:16pm snipped-for-privacy@madbbs.com (Norman D. Crow) is puzzled: HUH? 4 times 12 was 48 when I went to school.
He used new math.
Which gives different results, depending on how fresh the batteries are.
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:16:37 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

He probably meant valves.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Actually, I believe it was 96 spark plugs and 192 valves. If you see one in a pulling tractor, there are 12 straight exhaust stacks on each bank, indicating 2 exhaust valves per cylinder, and more than likely 2 intakes per cylinder as well.
http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20performance/aero_engines/engine_specs/Allison/engine.jpg
shows one without stacks, but you can count 6 "paired" exhaust ports down the side.
--

Nahmie
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:05:03 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

Well, you're right. I didn't realize that was a DOHC, four-valves-per-cylinder powerplant.
Here's a really thorough treatise: http://www.unlimitedexcitement.com/Miss%20US/Allison%20V1710%20Engine.htm
gawd, I love the internet.
--

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/unlock?msg d83ac7e1ff4f15&_done=/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/c88cb61863d9924d/73e6b2fb21281750%3Flnk%3Darm%26hl%3Den

--
Well, I thought they were V24s, like the one George Barris fitted to his trike. I do remember the magazine article pointed out the 94 visible exhaust pipes; 2 were invisible bacause they were routed under the body.

Wow, I did a bunch of searching and all I found is references to various drivers, the builders and owners of the Ivo machine. Are you sure it was a drag car and not one of the Land Speed Record cars?
Allen

No, it was a dragster (at least, that was the idea - it was actually a colossal failure, being far too heavy and vastly underpowered, it could barely get out of it's own way). It today's terminology it would be called a funny car, since it featured a VW Beetle "body" on a purpose-built chassis.
Consider that the car weighed about 7000 lbs (4 allisons alone weigh 5600 lbs, and the chassis on the thing would have been more suitable for a tractor), propelled by a measly 5200 hp, and you can see the problem (a modern top-fuel dragster weighs around 2000lbs, and gets about 6500 hp from it's engine).
John
Wed, Sep 28, 2005, 7:23pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com (JohnMcCoy) who does say: <snip> it featured a VW Beetle "body" on a purpose-built chassis.<snip>
Looks like a Fiat Topolino (sp?) to me. Which is what all references say too.
JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fred
Limey Lurker wrote:

Usenet has a large heirarchy under rec.autos...
--

FF