O/T - This could spark some discussion

Page 1 of 2
http://tinyurl.com/y54uynf
Article entitled: "Why work when I can get 42,000 in benefits a year AND drive a Mercedes?"
For reference, http://www.xe.com/ says that 42,000 is just over $65,000 in US dollars.
Who knows if Mail Online is a legit paper or not? Foreign newspapers all seem like the National Enquirer to me...
On 04/15/2010 02:07 PM, busbus wrote:

Yikes. I don't know how anyone can think that their behaviour is ethical.
Couple of points:
About 20% of their income (carer's allowance and disability living allowance) is because one of their children has a skin disease.
The "council tax benefit" appears to be a tax break rather than real income.
Chris
On 4/15/2010 3:07 PM, busbus wrote:

As I've stated a number of times, we generally follow the UK about 5 to 10 years when it comes to social and cultural issues.
Thanks to congress, and an ill-informed, under-educated electorate, we are right track.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Not really. We are 62 years behind on health care. Never nationalized the railroads and so never privatized them. Don't have national bans on firearms. Still have the death penalty. Etc.>

On 4/15/2010 5:00 PM, LDosser wrote:

Yes really. Unless you've lived and worked in the UK for some length of time over a 45 year span, it is unlikely that you would have sufficient perspective to recognize the dwindling differences and the growing similarities.
The increasing, everyday, 'nanny state' pervasiveness, and all that it entails (from privacy issues, to government intervention in every aspect of life) that has been rearing it's head here in the last thirty years roughly parallels that level of social phenomenon in the UK some 40 years ago.
Cherry picking a few high profile issues from the web won't debunk the observation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I was born in the UK, spent three years stationed in England and have rellies out the wazoo living there.

We're not even close.

So, give an example.

On 4/15/2010 8:51 PM, LDosser wrote:

So? I was married to a British subject for 15 years, lived in the UK for a good part of that time and worked, on the local economy, WITHOUT the benefit of a US government "stationed there" salary, and also have numerous relatives there, including a daughter and two grandsons.
So, now that you started this little pissing contest, tell us exactly what makes you think your experience trumps mine, eh?

In ten more years, or less, at the current rate.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Did I say that?

This was your claim:

So, got a good example?
On 4/15/2010 11:01 PM, LDosser wrote:

You tried to with your "not really", but it didn't work. You don't get perspective by simply being born somewhere, or being "stationed there".

How about Sharia law adoption for starters? See how we fare here in another ten years. Add ubiquitous surveillance cameras, about 1 for every 14 people in England about ten years ago and rapidly growing here. How about DNA databases of citizens? England already has the largest per capita DNA database in the world, see how long it takes for us to do the same. Hell, you can even go back to the Beatles shaping of our youth culture, or TV programs like The Office, or American Idol, which are only a couple of countless spin-offs of a British programs which did not become popular until they succeeded in the UK.
So, "yes really".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
wrote in message

No, that's what You read into it.

I wasn't just born there, I spent a large part of my childhood there. Right across the Nationalization, NTM Rationing.
And I am deeply connected. My Sister, my parents, before they died, inumerable, aunts, uncles and cousins.

How about an Example, not a prediction? And not inconsequential stuff like the Beatles and TV shows. National Health Care, Nationalization of Railways and Airlines, ban on firearms, ban on death penalty. Something of consequence.
On 4/16/2010 6:49 PM, LDosser wrote:

Nothing else needs be said, than the above exchange, to illustrate your caviling nonsense.
Pity ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
wrote in message

IOW, you have NO examples. The inconsequential flows both ways.

Swingman specializes in the absurd (he regards one-man, one-vote as a regrettable policy) so don't take his bloviating too seriously.
On 4/16/2010 10:20 PM, LDosser wrote:

IOW, You demonstrably wouldn't recognize an example if bit you on the ass.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
wrote in message

OK, you win the pissing up a rope contest ...
On 4/17/2010 11:18 AM, LDosser wrote:

Now, it would be laughable, if it wasn't so damn sad, that it was the following remark in this thread that initiated our two small minded cavilers to get their collective panties twisted in such a fashion:
"As I've stated a number of times, we generally follow the UK about 5 to 10 years when it comes to social and cultural issues. "
Shame on both of you ... one would think you could find something more offending (and you both were obviously looking for an opportunity) to piss your pants and take exception to.
Discernment is obviously not your long suit, particular when it comes to the difference between "social and cultural", and your political and governmental interposition's.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Hey, you're the one pissing up the rope.

It doesn't even apply to your definition of "social and cultural". In fact, more of it goes the other way.
On 4/17/2010 12:22 PM, LDosser wrote:

"Not really" ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You trying to tell us that was rain? ;-)
On 4/17/2010 5:39 PM, LDosser wrote:

Nope, just that, according to some, that particular phrase is apparently the definitive dismissal of anything it refers to. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010