O/T: The Hammer Dropped

Page 4 of 5

Is it Australia that Fines you for Not voting?

On 11/26/2010 8:18 AM, Leon wrote:

Not a valid assumption. A failure to vote could mean "Any of the candidates are fine by me." OR it could mean "I'm just not interested in politics." OR it could mean "I abstain because I don't know enough to cast an intelligent vote."
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

I'd like to see "shoot 'em all" on the ballot as an option. Possibly "horsewhip 'em all" as well. Be interesting to see what that did for voter turnout.
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 06:05:04 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

I'd settle for "none of the above".

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:18:03 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

It would probably net the closest to 100% turnout in history. I -like- it! <evil grinne>

How about electing 1 person from each 1,000 seen in Google Earth's photos? I'm sure anyone, from a homeless beggar on the streets to a CEO of a corporation, could do better than the fecal material we have representing us in CONgress today, though today is better than last month.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:26:49 -0800, Larry Jaques

Um, today's bunch is the SAME bunch as last month. The new guys don't start for another five weeks, or so. ;-)
@swbell.dotnet says...

...but the effect is one of saying yes to the worst of a bad lot.

I think +50% of "Eligible" voters to win. If not enough voters show up the election is not counted and the person in office steps aside.

Who, do you propose, would fill his place?
Simple answer, the person that is doing all the work now. The people that are actually making things work despite the elected officials desires. Except now he makes the decisions of what needs to be done instead of carrying out orders form a politician. He does so until some one is elected.
I don't have all the answers and there are probably better solutions but the system is compromised and will never work for the people as a whole.
Why can't every issue have a referendum online. It can be done but somebody wants to have the glory.
Simple answer, the person that is doing all the work now. The people that are actually making things work despite the elected officials desires. Except now he makes the decisions of what needs to be done instead of carrying out orders form a politician. He does so until some one is elected.
I don't have all the answers and there are probably better solutions but the system is compromised and will never work for the people as a whole.

We might very well still have slavery in this country had a similar system been implemented instead of our republic. One of the most important reasons that our constitution has a bill of rights and created a representative form of government was to prevent (I believe de Tocqueville's phrase) a "tyranny of the majority."

So you want a lifetime bureaucrat making the laws as well as enforcing them? Silly.

The system of voting is not what's broken.
...and forcing people to do *anything* is NOT a solution. If they're too lazy to vote, personally, I don't want them to. ...and "early voting" just simplifies fraud.

You might think so until you realize the systems that actually work and please the most people are actually run that way.

Too lazy to vote. LOL... What effort does it take that you would think it is hard? I am simply not going to vote for the sake of voting.

Name one.

Voting isn't hard but plenty can't be bothered. KNOWING who to vote for is a lot harder. If the lazy bums can't be bothered to vote they're certainly not going to bother to figure out who to vote for. That's exactly how we get government by sound bite. It's why politicians promise "free" stuff. ...and you want more of it.

I cannot divulge that information, there is a personal risk involved and we are talking politics. Hope you understand.

;-)
@swbell.dotnet says...

A big problem with the current system is that nobody alive today had any real say in its creation, we inherited it and nobody ever asked us if we were cool with continuing it.

There are many problems wiith the current system, the biggest (IMNSHO) is the amount of money, much of it unaccounted for, that is involved. Elected persons should be accountable for performing for the best interests of the people (broad classification). The next biggest is (again IMNSHO) that candidates nowadays have to aim for the lowest common denominator, ie the most people who don't object. There is little if any room for the consideration of more than 2 viewpoints. Any 3rd of more viewpoint is immediately a "spoiler" for one or the other.
That being said, the current system is constantly being revised (redistricting), and the elcting systems for at least US Senate and President has definitely changed (at least administratively).
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/26/2010 5:16 PM, Han wrote:

Do not expect rational processes from an essentially dumbed down, ignorant electorate.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010