O/T: The Hammer Dropped

Page 2 of 5
On 11/26/2010 9:41 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Got stopped, at machine gun point, in Venezuela in 1963 at least half a dozen times because my thumb was not green.
When you voted in their elections, which was compulsory, your thumb was dipped in green ink that stayed visible for days. If you were a citizen of voting age, you damned well better have a green thumb for a few days after the election.
Then again, look where that practice got the Venezuelans ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

The first time I voted in Holland after coming of age, so to speak, it was also compulsory. Maybe we should get a $25 tax credit for voting, but unfortunately that doesn't guarantee candidates that you wold want to vote for.
--
Best regards
Han
"Han" wrote in message

How about they add $500 to your taxes, and you only get it refunded if you attach your voting receipt to your tax return.

If someone needs financial incentive, they shouldn't be voting to begin with.

a) I have so far never received a receipt for voting, either in NY or NJ.
b) I really do think that financial incentives are very important in voting behavior, though so far mostly indirectly. "Tax the other guy, not me".
--
Best regards
Han

IDIOT! Don't give them ideas!
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure they'll give it back. They're from the gov't and they're here to help you.
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Do you actually think that voting for the lessor of two evils is better than not voting at all?
You have 3 choices, play the game you cannot win, play the game and loose, or don't play the game.
IMHO voting for some you you don't believe in sends the wrong message.

I think just the opposite, you vote, you don't bitch. Goes with the adage, you made your bed, now lay in it.
Well said.
If you never apply the stain you can't bitch about the colour (ooops. color)
Do you actually think that voting for the lessor of two evils is better than not voting at all?
You have 3 choices, play the game you cannot win, play the game and loose, or don't play the game.
IMHO voting for some you you don't believe in sends the wrong message.

I think just the opposite, you vote, you don't bitch. Goes with the adage, you made your bed, now lay in it.
<...snipped...>

I'm wondering, what is the difference between the 1st & 2nd choice there?

You see the point! Voting for either is a loosing proposition if you don't like either candidate.
On 11/26/2010 7:53 PM, Leon wrote:

Which is precisely why the ballot should have "None Of The Above" as a choice.

Actually, I'm kind of liking the loose and loosing proposition part more and more...

I much prefer the "tight" ones.
Actually, I'm kind of liking the loose and loosing proposition part more and more...

I much prefer the "tight" ones.
Actually, I'm kind of liking the loose and loosing proposition part more and more...

I much prefer the "tight" ones.
Actually, I'm kind of liking the loose and loosing proposition part more and more...

Not true, Leon. Voting for the candidate which most closely represents your own views is the first step into turning that guy into the candidate you want (by popular demand), and changing the system to match (something we need DESPERATELY right now in this country.)
Don't be so damned defeatist. MAKE change happen, and I don't mean that in the Obamunist way. It's up to us voters to make the gov't we want and need.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
On 11/27/2010 7:50 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Driven on an urban freeway lately?
Are those scofflaw idiots the kind of "voters" you want to "make the gov't we want and need"??
Arguably the same that got us into this mess ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Once annually, if I'm lucky. I make the trek to the Bay Area of CA.

Why are they scofflaws? Speeding, tailgating, or felony phone use?

Um, so who do -you- want to vote for us, Swingy?
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
"Robatoy" wrote:
Oh, I agree. More involvement is a good thing. but there are people who carry the banner of "VOTE!! CHANGE!!"...and all *I* want to know who has been voting these losers into power all along?
..nothing personal, you understand.. ---------------------- Guess it depends on your definition of "loser".
IMHO, a whole bunch of losers are headed to DC this term.
Looks like lots of grid lock for the next 2 years.
Lew
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:42:43 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

At least 525 by my count.

That will certainly hold our costs down. And if the Reps actually knock off the Full Pork Lane, it'll be a considerable amount to reduce the deficit. Now all we have to work on are the gazillions of debt.