O/T: The Decision is in

The operative word being "Normal" which unfortunately is seldom the case.

The "Hell Fire and Brimstone" bunch don't appear to be able to get over the lions yet.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So it sounds as if it is from this that you have derived your visceral hatred of anything Christian. The sad thing is that based upon the actions of your exposure to extremists of a denomination, you have jeopardized your eternal soul. This is where I will partially agree with you in that by attempting to legislate certain morality with the objective of making a society more "Christian", one of two things happen a) people think that they are right with God based upon their following those codes (secular righteousness) and thus don't need anything else to be saved, or b) people are repulsed by this approach and reject the earnest attempts to reach them with the gospel message because all they see Christianity as is a bunch of rules and laws that restrict their fun. Neither of which is really what Christianity is about. Christianity is about the fact that after one dies, the only answer that a righteous God asking why he should let you into His heaven is that one knows that although a sinner, Christ paid for his sins and it is by that sacrifice that one can expect salvation.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Can you think of any other reason why that might be a bad idea?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

WOODWORKING!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
James Silcott

Pretty much sums it up for me, and the foundation of my faith is exactly that.

But I can't reconcile Christ's teachings and the behaviour of the thugs in the White House. Allowing the slaughter of civilians in Gaza alone is just plain wrong. And many other examples.

But you, Mark, are so dug in, that any further discussions on these issues feels futile.

It took 19 terrorists to pull off 911. They came from 'over there'. How many Muslims on this planet, Mark? Take that number and divide the number 19 into that. You'd have to eliminate 50 million+ to reduce that number from 19 to 18. You have, by some estimates, 5 million in your country..so that would make a nice start? Kill them all so 911 can't happen again? Is that the logic? Ooops, we have to kill those who could spawn the likes of Timothy McVeigh too.

Listen, I know my argument is ridiculous and there are times when rising up to defeat an enemy is warranted, but it should never be a decision made by the money lenders.

These are all the words I am going to spend on this in this thread.

Robatoy

I'm thinking Afghans in caves, vs. the US or USSR. Or Iraqis that want us out.

I have no problem calling someone who blows up a bus or flies planes into civilian buildings terrorist.

**
**

B A R R Y

Yup. A bible thumper hollering that it is all the fault of the liberal media!! (And THAT is because ANY media that points out the the sins of the republican neo-cons automatically becomes 'liberal' so it can be neatly pigeon-holed and condemned... and consequently/conveniently be brushed aside.)

Not at all unique to bible thumpers, or even more likely to be found in them. That's pretty much human nature.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer.

Albert Einstein

Reply to
Woodie

As in the liberal references to Faux News.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Well lets take a look at PMSNBC, and NBC in general, shall we. It is so blindingly liberal, at least most of the time Fox will give you 2 sides of the story. Keith Overbit I don't believe has ever had a conservative on his show, and constantly bashes Republicans. Never points out the abuses of the liberals, except ole Hilary. Where Fox reports on both, usually. I don't think I have ever heard Mr Overbit even mention he is Liberal or a leftest lunatic. Wonder why that is?

Reply to
evodawg

:>

:>Having a state Supreme court act as King without regard to both the CA :>legislature and the CA 2000 public initiative should give anyone pause.

: Typically republican claptrap when they disagree with a court decision.

: The supreme court found that the law was in contradiction to the : constitution. The constitution wins. Purely a matter of law.

: I think any real American should rejoice in the decision. The state : is refraining from involvment in the affairs of the people, shouldn't : that be the way it is? If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry a : gay. But don't take your biblical fundamentalism and personal beliefs : and attempt to apply them to the rest of the populace.

Very well said. The Founders would approve.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Because rabid leftist think that their position is "middle of the road" they are so disconnected from Western History and tradition.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

My 84 yr old aunt does on politics (Democrat) but nobody could accuse her of normal.

Nope ....West coast here..... Although we do attend a large(5000-10,000) Baptist church here but the pastor strongly preaches the bible and I'm yet to see much on baptist doctrine. I do have 3 brother-inlaws as preachers and one as a hospital chaplin (former minister) and a now passed away father-inlaw with a 60 yr career as a minister(always small churches and if he had one winter coat he'd find someone to give it to). I have a Grandfather and a Grandmother as well that preached and have never heard any of them or anyone preach hate or intolerance.....I have snoozed a time or two in church but doubt if I missed it. I have no doubt it happens but my experience shows far from the norm.......Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote

That depends .... or you old, or young, and do you want a city of "Laws", or a city of the "Republic"?

Re-read your Plato, dude! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I know what I don't want: Someone deciding that their moral code is so right, they get to jam it down my throat...

P.S. I am neither old nor young.

P.P.S. Plato had his betters, Locke leaps to mind. Plato is essentially obsolete. He was replaced by Marx for people on the political left and by guys like Hagee for people on the right.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Tsk, tsk ... "An intelligent man will prize those studies which result in his soul getting soberness, righteousness, and wisdom ..."

Reply to
Swingman