O/T: The Decision is in

Page 1 of 3
The ninth circuit court just handed down a decision allowing same sex marriage here in California.
Time to watch the bible thumpers knee jerk reaction like they just had a 2300 Volt probe stuck where the moon doesn't shine.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

But first we get to see religious intolerance here....lucky us.
Having a state Supreme court act as King without regard to both the CA legislature and the CA 2000 public initiative should give anyone pause. This is clearly a arrogant attempt to place their view above the will of the people, a fine example of the all knowing all powerful Big brother. Even worse the imagined "social injustice" doesn't exist as CA has a very comprehensive domestic partner act. Possibly a insight as to what kind of federal judges we may get under a Obama presidency. That the highest court in the state chooses to overturn a 5000 year old word or concept definition might also tell you they don't have nearly enough to do in their normal day job. Rod

As put forward in Brown versus the Kansas Board of Education:
"Separate but equal is inherently unequal"
The court system is there to help keep things orderly and interpret what is and is not legal. The voters approved a law that the courts judged went against the state's constitution. Either it was plainly against the constitution or the defense lawyers didn't do a very good job. The outcome would have been the same had the voters attempted to pass a law forbidding a public education to children of rich people. If it's unconstitutional, it's going to get struck down.
That said, the voters are attempting to put a measure on the ballot to make it constitutional in California.
I doubt it'll pass, but there is a chance it will.
-Nathan
"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:

No intolerance, just don't want someone trying to jam the biggest scam job on the planet up my keister.
Keep it to your self and I'll be satisfied.
Lew

That would be organized religion and the right-wing religiofacists..

That's what I'm stressin'.
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

There are *way* bigger scams pal:
1) The government is here to help 2) From each according to his ability to each according to their need 3) There is no important teleology to the physical universe 4) Universal healthcare will be cheaper 5) Do it for the children 6) Do it for the common good 7) If it saves just one life 8) Madonna is a musician 9) Noam Chomsky is a deep thinker 10) Rap is music

That's an interesting crock of shit if ever I saw one. You started this thread Lew, complete with your off-hand jab. None of the very folks you seem so concerned about had poked their heads out of the fox hole before you fired your first round, and yet you are whining about them pushing stuff in your face? Pot... Kettle... Maybe you should just keep your stuff to yourself. Clearly you're just spoiling for the very fight you profess to despise.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Agreed. I was onoce a Baptist, my wife is an SB, and I'm tempted to go to church tomorrow (not seriously, though) to see what the sonorous one has to say about the California ruling. He's been preaching neoconservatism and hatred of Obama and Clinton all along, according to my wife.
One does wonder why so many Christians are so full of hate when they are supposedly strong practitioners of a religion of love.
Charlie Self wrote:

I'm curious if this "hate" your wonder about is not just moral conviction, if someone takes a public ethical stand is it always hateful? My comprehension of religious hate requires something ranging from a Rev. Wright all the way to a Muslim extremist....interesting enough their message is less about religion and more in search of a common enemy to unite and inspire the flock........Incidentally if your wife's minister preaches politics from the Sunday morning service he should be soundly chastised as he will likely damage the very institution he champions. The rest of the week is fair game, although for a healthy church the members should only know his moral convictions and guess his political views. Rod

I am not "wondering" about their hate. No normal person turns red in the face and sprays spit when discussing such things.
Incidentally, that's a small country church where about 99% of the parishioners think he is not harsh enough.
And you're right, for a healthy church, etc. Do you know much about Southern Baptists? Unfortunately, far too many of them talk love and preach and live hate.
On Sat, 17 May 2008 16:51:13 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

I've seen the same, and it is kind of weird.

Yup. A bible thumper hollering that it is all the fault of the liberal media!! (And THAT is because ANY media that points out the the sins of the republican neo-cons automatically becomes 'liberal' so it can be neatly pigeon-holed and condemned... and consequently/conveniently be brushed aside.)
A Palestinian who wants the occupiers to go away becomes a terrorist. How easy is that?
THOSE kind of people, deep-down, want to march and wear brown uniforms with belt buckles that proclaim "Gott ist mit uns!!"
And so the cycle continues. Those who don't learn from history.....
On Sat, 17 May 2008 17:26:41 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Kind of like the way my American ancestors hid in trees and shot the British, and didn't wage war properly?

A close friend of mine, who is still in the navy as a weapons expert (writes all kinds of cool software) says that nothing has changed over the years. A 50 cal can take out an Apache (assuming you know where to hit it), but you're screwed if he sees you first.
So, who is the improper one in that scenario? <G>
Robatoy wrote:

I think it's comes down to, alls fair in love and war!!! and of course who has the bigger guns.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
B A R R Y wrote:

But they were shooting at British soldiers, weren't they? Didn't go over to London and start shooting women and children or blowing up civilians.
This moral equivalence BS is gonna kill us all

On Sat, 17 May 2008 19:20:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Of course.
I'm thinking Afghans in caves, vs. the US or USSR. Or Iraqis that want us out.
I have no problem calling someone who blows up a bus or flies planes into civilian buildings terrorist.

Yup. A bible thumper hollering that it is all the fault of the liberal media!! (And THAT is because ANY media that points out the the sins of the republican neo-cons automatically becomes 'liberal' so it can be neatly pigeon-holed and condemned... and consequently/conveniently be brushed aside.)
Not at all unique to bible thumpers, or even more likely to be found in them. That's pretty much human nature.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

As in the liberal references to Faux News.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Well lets take a look at PMSNBC, and NBC in general, shall we. It is so blindingly liberal, at least most of the time Fox will give you 2 sides of the story. Keith Overbit I don't believe has ever had a conservative on his show, and constantly bashes Republicans. Never points out the abuses of the liberals, except ole Hilary. Where Fox reports on both, usually. I don't think I have ever heard Mr Overbit even mention he is Liberal or a leftest lunatic. Wonder why that is?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"