O/T: Still Smoke?

Page 2 of 2
\ This time I didn't do it. According to headings I am credited with changing the title line to "O/T: Still Smoke?"
Didn't do it but this seems to happen now and then.
RonB

Ron, I quit about 14 years ago after 25 years. I had a heart attack about 4 years ago. My cardiologist told me I would not have survived it if I had not quit smoking when I did. One doctor told me many years ago that the lungs begin healing as soon as you quit.
Whether you fully recover depends on a lot of things such as how young you started, how heavy you smoke and how long you had the habit. So maybe we're carrying some damage around with us now, but it is a lot less than if we still smoked, and I believe it gets a little bit better each day.
Congrats, and best wishes for 30 more healthy years.
Roy
On 6/16/2012 10:56 PM, Roy wrote:

Maybe, but I have my doubts. Quit smoking almost 15 years ago after a 2-pack+ / day habit for 35 years. I do have emphysema, lungs of an 85-year (will be 69 this week), and it's not getting better, if anything, worse. No second-hand smoke to blame it on either.
Matt

That, as I said, is my concern. Luckily I am married to a very health- conscious wife who is fighting an unmediated (and so far successful) fight against genetic high cholesterol. We eat right and try to walk 3.5 to 6 miles a day with some cycling. As long as we keep going with this maybe I can push the effects off for some time.
RonB

Sorry - should have said "un-medicated"
On 6/17/2012 12:22 PM, RonB wrote:

She doesn't like Statins either, eh?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

She started with Lipitor years ago and did OK for about a year. Then the joint and muscle pain started. It progressed until she could barely get off of the floor in her mid to late 50's (she is not heavy). After talking to her doctor he pulled her off of the Statin and recommended a dosage of fish oil, some red-rice yeast, some slow release niacin and very restricted red meat. He also pushed exercise which is easy for her. After about 6 months her cholesterol level was still in the lower to mid-200's but her HDL was above 100 and LDL was in the 60's. Triglyceride numbers were good too. Frankly this blew the doctor away and he told her to keep it up. He told her the reason her overall number was still high was the higher than normal HDL was elevating it and that was not bad.
A few years later we moved and changed doctors but her new doctor was supportive of her approach. However, wifey decided to switch out her fish oil and other supplements a little and her numbers went up: and her HDL/LDL blend got worse. Her new doc scolder he a little, put her on Crestor until she got her supplements back in order and guess what - Crestor is gone now and her numbers are back in a healthy range.
We tell our kids not to use their bodies as an experimental chemistry set and she admits she was playing a bit herself but now she is doing well. She has walked about 450 miles since early February and I am at about 2/3 that.
RonB
On 6/17/2012 11:08 AM, RonB wrote:

Good for both of you! I too cannot tolerate the statins either (had the same problem with Lipitor). My totals were always in the low 200s but the HDL in the 60s, which is higher than "normal" - weight is a problem, but since I retired my total has dropped under 200, and my doctor isn't complaining.
Do time somewhat regularly on the treadmill (summers are way too hot to get out and walk), but am somewhat limited by the emphysema. Things should improve if I can drop the excess weight, but that's easier said than done.
Matt

I don't tolerate statins at all, zero, zip.
You do know that the ingredient that makes red-rice yeast work lowering cholesterol is a statin? Lovastatin is a natural product of that fermentation process, so if you don't tolerate statins, you probably should not consider red-rice yeast as a supplement. Her ratio is good, even though the total may be "high" (hell, with that ratio, is it really "high"?) ... too many doctors just treat the numbers and not the patient these days. AAMOf, there is a good deal of research out there now that seriously questions the need, or advisability, of most women even taking statins.
Amazing how the simple act of walking will bring all these levels down to normal levels. I wore out about 15 pair of shoes the past ten years, but took a break last year. Just started back up walking about a month ago and dropped about ten pounds thus far without doing anything else.
Beats the hell out of Big Pharma dictating to the doctors who are prone to treat just the numbers ... "better living through chemistry", I suspect, equates more to "more profits through chemical marketing" these days.
Besides, I'm highly suspicious of this profitable statin business in any regard ... Caveat emptor.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On Sunday, June 17, 2012 4:25:20 PM UTC-7, Swingman wrote:

Yes, but the patent on Lipitor is expiring this year, so they'll try to sell us on something else.
However, the evidence is absolutely clear: Atorvastatin (i.e. Lipitor) is associated with increased life span after a heart attack. I did do a lot of research on the scientific literature on all drugs and treatments after my heart attack in June 2008. The benefits of using it just to lower cholesterol are not established; most studies show little effect on life span or frequency of MIA (myocardial infarctions or heart attacks). Little evidence for using the other cholesterol-reducing statins. And the relationship between cholesterol and heart disease is not all that straightforward: while people with high cholesterol are more likely ot develop heart disease, most people who develop heart disease do not have high cholesterol. I didn't.
I smoked for 40 years from age 12 until seven month before my heart attack. (Life is not fair!) I do have COPD, which will only get worse, but I live in a place with little air pollution, and am installing a really good dust extraction system in the shop. Unlike Larry, I still like the smell of cigarettes and tobacco, but I am not really tempted to start again; it looks my addiction has been overcome
I ride my bike a lot, which probably raised my carbon footprint when I breathe hard. :-)
Luigi
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:11:27 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

I remember vividly my folks chain smoking. My Mom packed 2 packs of Chesterfields in Dad's lunch pail every day. When we got in the car, the routine went: key in ignition, push the cig lighter in, pull a smoke out of chest pocket, light cig, put car in reverse, and go". EVERY time. And Dad would sit on the can and spit tobacco bits on the opposite wall. The worst came after we got a car with air conditioning and Dad wouldn't let us roll the windows down. I breathed their second hand smoke from the day I was born until left for college at 18. I have reason to believe I'm paying for it now.
Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer the day afer Thanksgiving 1990, and died in January 1991. His dying mantra: "They haven't proven anything". Mom died from smoking-related cancer in 1994.
Funny thing, my 2 sisters and I have NEVER smoked ONE cigarrette (aside from second-hand smoke).
Deemed chid abuse, here, now. Not sure what the penalty is but it's child abuse in our legal system.
--------- "Zz Yzx" wrote in message
[...]
I was a pack and a half puffer from the age of 15. At 61, I was diagnosed with a blocked carotid and quit at 2:45 p.m. EST on 1/4/06. I still miss 'em, but I know if I have one I'll be back to a pack a day within a week.
Here's the good news: The docs say lungs repair themselves over time. Mine should be nice and pink by now, but there's only one way to find out ... and I'm not ready for that.
I'm 66 and outside of some arthritis and diabetes I enjoy very good health. Hoping to retire next spring if the economy doesn't collapse and spend more quality time making sawdust.
On 6/15/2012 11:11 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Hade I not quite when I did, the results of my chemo might have been very different. I quit smoking 10 years ago and I was never a heavy smoker 1/2 pack a day max, most of the time 5-6 cigarettes per day.
Lung cancer can bite you in the ass from many angles, just ask me. I beat it back this time.
I previously wrote: .

--------------------------------------- He died on 07/28/12, just 43 days after being diagnosed.
Doctor's estimate was eerie for it's accuracy.
He has donated to body to Case-Western medical school in Cleveland.
Something I also plan to do to a med school here in SoCal.
Lew