O/T: Sticky

At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And at 17:05 hours, it's 109 outside my window, dew point 52, humidity 15%.

This is Phoenix AZ in July.

Yes, it too shall pass.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I guess this is yet another reminder that Arizona is better off than California.

Not to mention the fact that Arizona doesn't have Lew.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Lew doesn't have the right papers to live in Az.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4c40ec96$0$13653 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Our high was only 88F, but we've got a heat advisory because of the humidity. I'm trying to figure out a way to cool the garshop without spending a couple of grand on a whole HVAC system.

Whole house fans are looking attractive, but I'm not sure if there's enough ventillation of the attic space to make it worthwhile. If I have to run a dehumidifier I might as well go with AC.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

A dehumidifier will raise the temperature in an enclosed space, so you might want A/C instead.

John

Reply to
news

Yes, I have noticed that with the cheap ones, especially. The room gets hotter while the humidity gets out.

Those portable ones with the hoses going out the window look like a good idea. A bit expensive yet but a small one could be moved into the shop or wherever you want / need and it would dehumidify without the room heating.

The pros always try to talk you into central A/C that is rated too small. "keeps the humidity down".

I was told by a friend in the A/C business not to do that. The scenario is: You like the windows open on the nice days (who doesn't?) and then one day is starts getting hotter than hell and you finaly stick your head outside only to find it is hotter than blazing hell!.

CLose the windows Turn on the A/C The unit doesn't have the BTU rating to get the humidity out and lower the temperatue for about two days. Toss and turn at night...too humid and damp Wake up at 4 AM with all the covers off hacking and coughing 'cause you're froze! Sore throat for a week...A/C cough for the summer.

wrote:

John

Reply to
Josepi

------------------------------------ What about attic exhaust fans installed in the roof or gable end if you have them?

Getting that hot air above the garage can make a big difference.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Same here in Tucson. My Fedders shop A/C crapped out last Sunday. Had turned it on before leaving for church to get the shop cool for the afternoon, when we got back from lunch, it wasn't running. Initial troubleshooting showed that the compressor was running fine, but the squirrel cage and coil fans were barely moving (they run off the same motor). Took it out and took it in today. Turns out Fedders went bankrupt

3 years ago. If they can find an NOS (New, older stock) fan, it would be about $50 to $100 plus diagnostics plus labor. If not, a new fan would cost $300+ plus the diagnostics plus labor. So, I'm now looking for a new 1 ton window unit. The shop was 105 this afternoon, with the humidity, it's not a fun place to spend time right now.
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Been really humid in Baja this week.. 2 ton AC in the shop and can't get the temp comfortable..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4c413733$0$24422 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

There's an exhaust fan installed in the roof, but it was never hooked up. I'm actually looking at replacing it because it tends to leak when we get driving rains.

Perhaps I'll try hooking it up, at the most it'll cost a couple feet of wire and an extension cord to see if it'll do any good. Right now, there's two box fans in the windows, one's blowing in and the other's blowing out.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Not likely to pass, with all your green goings on you have wiped out the elements that kept humidity out. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

--------------------------------- Huh?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is there to stay, get used to it. LOL You Californians have damaged your environment trying to clean it up.

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------- It only reached 81F today; BUT, oh the "humanditity", it's a hum dinger.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

24 Celsius (75 Fahrenheit??) and 28% humidity today in Canada's True North.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Here in Toontown, we hit a high of 22C (with 54% RH), But are currently at 17C and 83% RH.

Tut, tut... It looks like rain!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
Ed Ahern

Did you ever work in Port Huron?

Reply to
Robatoy

----------------------------------- I know, my son is in St Pete.

Basic reason I came to SoCal, the weather.

It's just been cantankerous the past couple of days.

Face it, here in SoCal, when it comes to the weather, we're spoiled.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett