O/T: Snow

Page 1 of 2
About all you can say about the east coast snow fall is that "It won't stick".
A month from now, maybe.
BTW, it was 83F outside my window today here in SoCal.
I'll take it.
Lew
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 23:11:55 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

All around me got 5" to 15". I bought a new snowblower this year so it melted in my driveway on contact. Trees caught a lot of it. I was able to do my neighbor's driveway though. At least I got to play with my new toy a little.
I got 12" mine came in handy. Now I get to play with my chain saw. Lots of downed limbs. Pretty much destroyed some nice trees.
Damn Bradford pears are beautiful in the spring, but so weak. Wind, hail... all destroy them... This devastated them. Right down to the main trunk...
Pin Oaks... split like dried stika spruce....
Going to sharpen the chain and wait for the snow to melt. I was like a drenched rat out there yesterday trying to save them. Broke my pruning pole trying to beat the snow off.
On 10/30/2011 10:18 AM, Ed Pawlowskio wrote:

tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in wrote:

Damage was severe here too. Many biggish as well as smaller branches came down. No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches that with Irene. We were 24 hrs without power. Many around us are still without. NJ07410, <http//radburn.org>
--
Best regards
Han

Damn. I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy gigantic storms every year, don't you? If it's not hurricanes, it's tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. Say, you're about ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?
Condolences, guys. Hang in there!
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

And me and mine will suffer in the shade of banana trees(bushes).

<snip>
Dat's echt vreselijk, Rob! Ik heb medelijden met je!
<grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

Erg, h?

Yep.
--
Best regards
Han

Hey, I took a look at Sarnia on the map the other day and couldn't believe it. It's farther north than Detroit! Brrrrrrr!
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Hurricanes, somewhat. Generally it's more the flooding than the winds. We're away from the shore here a bit. Tornadoes, not generally here, yes to bad windstorms at times. THis storm was an early Nor'eastern, as such not that bad at all, but with almost all trees still fully in leaf, the wet snow loaded them up with too much weight, just like icestorms could/would. After some years rather quiet, the last couple of years are trying to catch up. Back in Holland in the 50's and 60's I remember bad storms, wind, rain, ice (skating on the street is fun!), but power outages not much, at most a few hours. Of course just about everything is underground over there, so it has to be a large transmission line getting hit to stop the power.
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/30/2011 6:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in

Our basement is rather dry, certainly after the sewerline was fixed.
--
Best regards
Han

So are we, old chap. Then there are the volcanos. And I'm sure your elderly neighbors have regaled you with tales of the Columbus Day Storm.
On 10/30/2011 09:06 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Ah, yes - I was in high school. We were playing a football game against Seattle Prep in the new Bellingham Civic Stadium and led 14-13 when the lights went out. Wish they hadn't come back on as we were going into the wind and had 4th and 5 at the 50. The punt I snapped for was a huge mistake as the kick ended up going the wrong way - we lost 19-14 :-(
Not only that, but I lost my ham radio tower and the Hood Canal floating bridge sank!
--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs

See, what'd I say!
--
" Well you can't trust a special like the old time coppers
When you can't find your way 'ome"
On 10/30/2011 5:18 PM, Han wrote:

tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in

Some schools in our district are closed, others late opening. All because of power problems, not flooding.
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/30/2011 9:06 PM, Han wrote:

says...

I think that people who weren't out in it don't realize how bad it was. A friend of mine asked me to check on one of his friends (he doesn't drive anymore). I asked him for her address. He started to draw me a map. I told him "I don't need a map, I need a street name and house number--with that and a GPS I can get there, with your map I can get to a downed power line or a tree across the road".
Later in the week I gave him a ride somewhere (and I had to argue with him to get him to call and make sure that his destination was actually open) and it wasn't until I had to take an unmarked detour because of a tree still across the road that he got it through his head that this wasn't just a couple of power lines down.