O/T: Snopes

Page 1 of 2
I often see references to www.Snopes in the Wreck. I was under the impression that it was kind of investigative legal outfit.
Not so:
----------------
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2008 SNOPES.com With Caution
For the past few years http://www.snopes.com/ has positioned itself, or others have labeled it, as the 'tell all final word' on any comment, claim and email.
But for several years people tried to find out who exactly was behind snopes.com. It is run by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators and researchers, no team of lawyers. It's just a mom-and-pop operation that began as a hobby.
To the best of my knowledge that was not a secret. I've known that for a long time. Apparently, for many people it was a secret.
David and Barbara Mikkelson in the San Fernando Valley of California started the website about 13 years ago - and they have no formal background or experience in investigative research. After a few years it gained popularity as people believed it to be unbiased and neutral, but over the past couple of years people started asking questions; who was behind it and did they have a selfish motivation?
The reason for the questions - or skepticisms - is a result of snopes.com claiming to have the bottom line facts to certain questions or issue when in fact they have been proven wrong. Also, there were criticisms the Mikkelsons were not really investigating and getting to the 'true' bottom of various issues.
A few months ago, State Farm agent Bud Gregg in Mandeville hoisted a political sign referencing Barack Obama and made a big splash across the internet, 'supposedly' the Mikkelson's claim to have researched this issue before posting their findings on snopes.com. In their statement they claimed the corporate office of State Farm pressured Gregg into taking down the sign, when in fact nothing of the sort ever' took place.
Lt Colonel Ed Cathcart USMC (Ret), a customer and friend of Bud Gregg's contacted David Mikkelson (and Mikkelson replied back) thinking he would want to get to the bottom of this and gave him Bud Gregg's contact phone numbers - and Bud was going to give him phone numbers to the big exec's at State Farm in Illinois who would have been willing to speak with him about it. He never called Bud. In fact, LTC Cathcart learned from Bud Gregg that no one from snopes.com ever contacted anyone with State Farm. Yet, snopes.com issued a statement as the 'final factual word' on the issue as if they did all their research and got to the bottom of things!
As I said, the mom and pop operation was not a secret to me. Here's what was the secret to me;
It has been learned the Mikkelson's are Jewish - very Democratic (party) and extremely liberal. As we all now know from this presidential election, liberals have a purpose agenda to discredit anything that appears to be conservative. There has been much criticism lately over the internet with people pointing out the Mikkelson's liberalism revealing itself in their website findings.
So, everyone who goes to http://www.snopes.com/ to get what they think to be the bottom line facts...'proceed with caution.' Take what it says at face value and nothing more. Use it only to lead you to their references where you can link to and read the sources for yourself. Plus, you can always google a subject and do the research yourself.
It is apparent that that's all the Mikkelson's do.
POSTED BY ICE CREAM SOLDIER AT 18:50
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:44:07 -0400, Robatoy

The Mikkelsons are very upfront about their website. They don't hide anyting, or pretend to be anything they are not. Here are just two of the items from the FAQ portion of the site:
Q: Who creates the material for this site?
A: With very few exceptions, all of the material on this site is prepared by the same people who operate this site, Barbara and David Mikkelson.
Q: How do I know the information you've presented is accurate?
A: We don't expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic, which is why our site's name indicates that it contains /reference/ pages. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced e-mail messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we've used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources for themselves.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 31, 10:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: [snipped for brevity]

I know that and you know that. This post was for those who don't know that Snopes is not the authority on the truth that some people simply accept as such.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 07:25:02 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Okay. I just thought what you posted made it sound as if they had some sort of political agenda, which they don't.
Add pictures here
✖

Heh,heh, EVERYBODY has a political agenda.
Max
Add pictures here
✖

Perhaps personally, but those with ethics are able to keep that separate very easily.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

What does ethics have to do with politics. All you McCainoids remember to vote early and often.     no agenda known,     Sarah
Add pictures here
✖

???
Add pictures here
✖
"jo4hn" wrote

So, when you die make sure you're buried in Texas so you can remain politically active, wot?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
jo4hn wrote:

Yeah, ACORN has really helped with that on the Republican side -- registering the Dallas Cowboys front line in multiple states, the DEMOCRAT Ohio secretary of state sitting on 200,000+ mismatched registrations and not sharing that with the county election judges, thus denying the election judges a tool to assure that DEMOCRATS don't cheat at the polls. We all know how the Republicans control Chicago machine politics and how "dead people vote, vote early and vote often" Dayley was a Republican.
Unless your post was meant to be humorous shifting who really has a long history of this kind of shenanigans, given the massive fraud that appears to be in work to assure that the Marxist Obama wins this election, it's far from funny.

I'll take no agenda over the agenda of a marxist whose own words have talked about "the fundamental flaw" of our constitution (and he's going to swear to uphold and defend it?), the tragedy of the civil rights movement not addressing re-distributive remedies. His agenda will destroy our country as we know it, it's that simple. With an Obama presidency and a Reid and Pelosi with solid majorities in the Senate and House, we will not recognize our country by 2012. I certainly understand those who have voted democrat all their lives planning to continue to vote democrat. But this guy isn't your father's democrat -- he has an agenda and it isn't anything that supports the liberties this country has enjoyed. People voting for this guy are voting for a Saul Alinski styled marxist who is telling them what they want to hear now in order to sieze power. They are doing so with no real idea of where he stands, what he stands for, or what he intends to do. McCain is closer to democrats like JFK and/or Truman than Obama.
The media has done its best to cover up his background and past comments. Would the LA Times withold information like the tape they are holding about Obama if it were about McCain instead? We have the answer -- it's "no". They fought to have information unsealed and then disseminated it to be used against Obama's Senate rival during Obama's Senate run. In so doing, they enabled Obama's defeat of his rival. The media parachuted 300+ reporters into Alaska to dig up dirt on Palin after her selection for VP -- how much effort have they put into researching Obama's past and his views? The NPR interview from his 2001 appearance is chilling in his view of the constitution and redistribution: <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iivL4c_3pck
. If a similar interview were
found for McCain on some hot topic, this would be on every news station 24-7 until November 4. How much air time is this getting? This is Obama's own words, his own viewpoints and it isn't that long ago -- he was way more than 8 years old when he did this interview. How much is The One being hounded by the press for explanation over this? It seems that the press has humbly accepted the BS line from the campaign that this was "just a comment over some esoteric constitutional court decisions" [this is not the issue you seek, move along]. How meekly would the media accept a similar explanation from the other side? As bad as the media push for the Dems was in 2006, this year it is exponentially worse. There is no objectivity from the mainstream media at all in this election. In 2006 all we were exposed to was "macaca" and Mark Foley e-mails with the Pelosi soundbite of "culture of corruption". This year, no words or coverage on the continuing issue of William Jefferson (democrat - louisianna) and his freezer full of cash, very little coverage of Murtha calling his consituents racist, and no national interest in the case of Tim Mahoney doing things much worse than Foley. There's coverage, but not the continuous coverage we suffered from in the Foley case.

✖

That's some pretty potent Kool-Aid there, Mark.
Add pictures here
✖
Mark & Juanita wrote:

[massive bandwidth snip]
Sweet Jesus Mark. Thank you for posting this stuff yet one more time. Conspiracy theories can be lots of fun but all this dreck coming not only here but from others with whom I correspond, is long since boring. Surely a person with your imagination can come up with some bogus theories regarding McCain. I do sincerely hope that this stuff stops with the election. But then, should Obama be elected president of OUR country, I doubt it.
Apologizing in advance for annoyance, I remain     yours truly,     jo4hn
p.s. Please count to 1000 before replying.
Add pictures here
✖
jo4hn wrote:

Wish it was conspiracy theory, unfortunately, them's his own words in his own voice. Did you even listen to the link?

After the re-institution of the new "fairness" doctrine? Who knows what any of us are going to be allowed to say and where.

How far did you get before replying?
Yeah, I'm a bit passionate about this; I frankly like my liberty and would like to see that preserved. I don't need to concoct any kind of conspiracy theories to see the threat to both liberty and the lack of fair press. After all of the bleating regarding the Patriot act to prevent terrorism, where is the 24/7 outrage over government employee use of government database computers to dig up dirt on Joe the Plumber? *That's* frightening stuff and that's real police state tactics. Where's the ACLU? I guess they are too busy at Gitmo trying to free terrorists who were shooting at our troops.

✖

Yup, Bush preserved your liberty. Yup.
Add pictures here
✖

Daley would roll over in his grave if he thought people remembered him as a "Republican". And ACORN would be be asked by the Democrats to give back the $800,000 they got to register Democrats if they had actually been registering, (fraud or no fraud) Republicans.
PS> check Snopes :-)
Add pictures here
✖
Tom G wrote:

Yeah, that was *very* tongue in cheek, driven by the comment for McCain supporters to remember to vote early and vote often.

✖

Speak for yourself, Max.
When you say "Everybody", you're including me and you have no basis for that assertion.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Add pictures here
✖
Tom Veatch wrote:

Or perhaps you just aren't aware of your agenda?
--John
✖

Much of what passers for authority on the Internet is suspect. Why single out Snopes? And why did the fact that they are Jewish figure so prominently in your denouncement?
Add pictures here
✖