O/T: Shredded Pork

Too bad you did not start with a 10 pound butt, that would have been funnier.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, but airport security won't allow big butts

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

NO, NO, NO........You missed the point. He cooks with WOOD CHIPS!

This is totally on topic! :^}

Reply to
RonB

This is totally on topic! :^}

It certainly is, I use my scraps for smoking meat. Cherry, oak, maple, walnut are all good. I've also given them away to the hardwood deprived.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have gone as low as 17 degrees F at the start of smoking two 12 lb turkeys for Thanksgiving (sunrise, Thanksgiving Day). Think the temps hit like 35 that day.

That was some good turkey.

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy

I'm going to drive my daughter to work, and then pick up a nice pork shoulder for the smoker.

Pulled pork sammiches for supper tonight!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

In news:DyDom.1372$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net, Lew Hodgett spewed forth:

no smoke complete blasphemy

Reply to
ChairMan

On 9/5/2009 5:41 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

[snip]

OK, time for my $0.02. DISCLAIMER: I am a barbecue dummy. Don't know nuttin' about it, really, except that, well, it tastes really good if done right.

Case in point: I used to live in East Palo Alto. (Those familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area will know the significance of that place.) In our little "downtown" area, now bulldozed, was a great temple of barbecue, Goldie's. Out in back, Goldie had this amazing machine. At least that's what I called it. It was a big black contraption, welded up out of 55-gallon drums and such.

What happened within that contraption was always a mystery to me. The only way I could describe it was thus: in one end went chickens, firewood (oak) and other substances. Out the other end came the most sublime food one could ever hope to taste. Somewhere in the middle, smoke was involved.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Currently underway at Chez Balderstone:

pound pork shoulder, dry rub of salt, pepper, cumin, cloves.

Rosemary spears inserted.

Hickory, mesquite and apple wood.

In the smoker at noon, pulled pork sandwiches about 7:00.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That last photo looks like your oven is all smoky.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Indeed...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

RE: Subject

The Smoker Gods have admonished me.

How dare I call what I did "Bar-B-Cue?

Store bought sauce?

Surely you jest.

OK, I stand admonished; however, you play to your audience, which in my case is the unwashed masses when it comes to smoked meat since I don't have access to a smoker.

The unwashed masses liked it.

So lets just call it:

"Oven slow roasted pig, covered with foil, then shredded and drowned in store bought bar-b-cue sauce, served open face on a bun".

Any way you describe it, It got the job done.

Who knows, maybe there is a smoker in my future.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There is an old joke about how you barbecue ribs.

"First you steal a shoping cart and a 20 gallon drum..."

When I was back in Cleveland and you wanted good ribs, in the summer time you went to the "hood".

Quite common to find a homemade grill built on a shopping cart with one half of a drum holding the hot coals and the other above it with the ribs.

These rigs were common on the sidewalk in the summer time.

You could find ribs for lunch, but the later in the day, the more ribs that were ready.

Late in the afternoon, not uncommon to go to the "hood", buy a couple of racks of ribs and head home for dinner.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In news:060920091409584696%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca, Dave Balderstone spewed forth:

looks good I've got a #5 #7 & #8 sittin in the fridge rubbed w/cayene,Bsugar,garlic,salt,cumin,smoked paprika and some other stuff. They'll be goin on in the morning with some ribs and snausages. snausage fer lunch, pulled pork and ribs fer dinner And smoked only with pecan.

Reply to
ChairMan