O/T: Shake, Rattle and Roll

Shake, rattle and roll, but no Jolt.

A 4.3 earthquake, whose epicenter was about 5 miles west of me, hit at

04:03AM this morning.

Lasted about 15 seconds and provided a nice vibration to the bed.

Other than that, NBD.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Did your house pass the nickel test?

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Let's just hope like hell that wasn't a warmup ...

Reply to
Swingman

Been surving quakes since the 70's when it was built.

They have developed a construction method that survives quakes.

Walls are studs covered by Celotex type sheeting on the outside followed by chicken wire, then plaster.

First time I saw it, it was a WTF moment, then it was splained to this dummy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------- When the big one comes, California is going to miss the loss of everything east of here.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If things get really tough, you must have a spare boat in your back yard??? : )

Reply to
Bill

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:40:20 -0500, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Has anyone else seen the movie "10.5"? It was about the HelL.A. area, the San Andreas Fault in particular. Lotsa fun.

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:15:27 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

That's right, Lew. Murphy says "When the Big One hits, everything east of the San Andreas will fall into the Atlantic."

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got it last week on one of those double feature disks at BiMart, but have not yet watched it. I think the other one on the disc is "Category 7". Forgot to buy popcorn while I was there ...

Reply to
LDosser

My family and I were active participants in the 1963 Skopje earthquake, We were vacationing in a small town south of Genoa. *I* was tossed from my bed. Then in '71, I was rollin into LA...

Reply to
Robatoy

...hahaha, that's rich...actually, tho, when the *big* 'un hits we LA folk start moving, a taste quicker than we are now, to San Fran and north! All of my life here, I've enjoyed the ride!

cg

Reply to
Chasgroh

My family and I were active participants in the 1963 Skopje earthquake, We were vacationing in a small town south of Genoa. *I* was tossed from my bed. Then in '71, I was rollin into LA...

Was in a smallish quake in Goleta. Working in what amounted to a two story mobile home. There was blood and hair on the door jamb ...

Reply to
LDosser

Glad to hear you are OK.

In the news this morining,

After having successful test runs of the new USA earth quake machine tested on Haiti, Chili, and Turkey, the shot taken at Iran misfired and hit California this morning.

Reply to
Leon

I went through the '71 Sylmar quake as well. Mother Earth wins.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

So that explains why you's guy's keep holding on, y'all think "we" are going down! LOL

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:03:36 -0700, the infamous Chasgroh scrawled the following:

You're a native Hellatian? Imagine that. Both my parents were, but moved away. We used to fly into exLAX every Xmas to spend the holidays with my grandparents, and it was like flying into a milk chocolate pudding back then. Smog is much better nowadays, though you can still see the brown haze when driving up I-5 from the south.

When the big'un hits, you won't be moving anywhere but under the ground, as it liquefies. The fault also runs right by SanFran, so don't be thinking of moving there if you happened to be out of town when the big'un hit.

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:34:04 -0700, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

I get the BiMart dry roasted peanuts instead of popcorn any more. (Now that I've discovered my allergy to corn. After 25 years away, I can now eat some potatoes again. NOGO on the tomatoes, though. )

You'll love the strategic domestic use of the nukes. It fails the authenticity test, but it's a fun movie showing some creativity.

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:07:25 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Dad woke me one night to ask if I'd felt the earthquake the week we were in Puerto Vallarta for a vacation. I hadn't. He also came out of the house 3 different times when I was mowing the lawn in Vista to ask the same question. We'd moved out from Arkansas and I wanted to feel an earthquake but I never seemed to be doing nothing at the time. I think it was ten years that I was in CA before I felt one, and then it was a real letdown. A 3.3, close and high, felt no more troublesome or scary than the old sonic booms I heard in the '60s.

To be honest, I'm now _glad_ that I haven't felt a big'un.

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Isn't this the same research group that has had so much trouble with the volcano eruptor and hurricane generator?

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Watched part one last night. Wow, Kim Delaney bloated up like Sally Struthers!

Reply to
LDosser