O/T:Seat belt fastened?

No, seated at puter, selt belt not fastened, but would not hurt if it had been.
Quake just came thru here in SoCal.
No apparent damage in my world.
Will await magnitude and duration data.
Film at 11:00 PM.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

According to Maggy's magic web page, it was about a 5.0 near the beach cities. Called number 2 daughter and she said that it shook them up but had nothing broken. Just a fun shaker.     twitch,     jo4hn
"jo4hn" wrote:

Makes sense, reporting from Huntington Beach tonight.
Lew
On 5/17/2009 9:07 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

I posted something earlier (here? or maybe rec.home.repair) about our (Bay Area) last earthquake, which was apparently nothing compared to yours (TV nooz says 5.0; ours was 3.0).
How'd it feel?
There's a useful USGS page for reporting and getting reports of quakes in the Bay Area (http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/SF_Bay.html ); there's probably one for SoCal too if you look around for it. Interesting to see the reports to come in, and to see how people perceived the quake in different places.
Hey, just found after drilling up/down on the site: http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/Los_Angeles.htm

On 5/17/2009 9:07 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Here's the "did you feel it?" page for the quake: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/dyfi/events/ci/10410337/us/index.html
Looks like they (USGS) got reports from Clovis to Tijuana.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Magnitude 4.7
IOW, nothing serious. If you want to live in quake country, get used to it.
Epicenter was in Inglewood (Close to LAX) on a fault line from the Hollywood Hills to Newport.
Last time on that fault line was 1933 and it was serious.
This time was just shake, rattle and roll, mostly roll.
Couple of aftershocks reported.
Lew

Sometimes, Appalachia gets its share. Salem, VA had a shaker yesterday, 2.6 magnitude. Most people thought it was an explosion nearby, something like a chemical plant going up. That's 50 miles west of me, so I knew nothing of it until the news came on.
On Mon, 18 May 2009 03:05:50 -0700, Charlie Self wrote:

I'm surprised anyone felt it unless they were right on top of it. When I lived in Torrance, the fault across the base of the Palos Verde peninsula was always throwing off 2s and 3s. I was about 3 miles away and felt only one of them because I was standing out on a balcony.
Maybe limestone vibrates easier :-).

Larry Blanchard wrote:

According to Lucy at Caltech, the epicenter was 8 miles down so the closest folks were still 8 miles away.
The news folk were happy to find a few downed shampoo bottles and to the chagrin of every Irishman about, some broken booze bottles.     sigh,     jo4hn

Note to self, set the whisky down in 5 gallon bucket.
basilisk

Reminds me of an earthquake in the Seattle area a few years ago. It moved strongly in one direction. So all the wine/booze bottles on the store's shelves either fell to the floor, or did not, depending on if the shelves faced north-south or east-west.
When asked about it later, a retail consultant said it was something that nobody ever thought of. Can you see it now? Wine/booze earthquake resistant shelf design. How is that for a specialty?
Lee Michaels wrote:

If you can come up with the design, I have a name for it: the "basilisk bucket". Can't you see the adverts now?     j4

Hey,
I like it!
basilisk

You guys out in LaLa land are always moaning: I just saw a headline with really bad news for you. " Man arrested in shooting of rapper at L.A. mall." What a time to find out shooting rappers was out of season and illegal.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Felt it in Ventura County, strong enough

Glad to see you are able to report back.