O/T: Score Card

Let's see, on one side of the ledger we have:

Over $1 trillion of borrowed money was spent,

Over 4,000 lives were sacrificed,

Over 30,000 were wounded.

This is only the USA and doesn't include our allies or the Iraqis themselves.

On the other side of the ledger we have:

Saddam Hussein is gone,

No WMDs were found,

No democratic form of gov't exists in Iraq,

In fact, at this point, Iraq still does not have a functioning gov't,

We built our largest embassy.

As a lyric from long ago goes, "When will they ever learn?"

Off the box.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I would argue that one doesn't exist here either.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Shouldn't it be:

on one side of the ledger we have:

Over $1 trillion of borrowed money was spent, Over 4,000 lives were sacrificed, Over 30,000 were wounded. No WMDs were found, No democratic form of gov't exists in Iraq, Iraq still does not have a functioning gov't,

Saddam Hussein is gone, We built our largest embassy.

But that's only in your terms and is taking a pretty favourable view of the outcome.

Why ffs do americans think only american lives count? The Iraq body count is now around 100,000 civilian deaths. You don't mention the wrecked cities, the polluted waters, the unexploded ordnance. You don't mention the total loss of respect that america has suffered world wide from abu graib, from videos on youtube of marines killing civilians, from the top level idiocy and deceit of it all, so that US citizens abroad often pretend to be canadian rather than have taxi drivers and waiters incessantly telling them what jerks they are, so that if there actually was a reason to form invade a foreign country nobody, not even Tonga would join you or support you. You don't mention the cost to servicemen who come home uninjured who will be spending the rest of their lives mentally unhinged.

And actually it was all totally predictable. Look at what Gen Norman Schwarzkopf had to say about invading Iraq a few short years before Bush jr did it.:

Tim W

And with Obama's actions we fall short again.

Reply to
Leon

Robatoy

Actually, about $740 billion.

And no lives were sacrificed. Our volunteer military is made up of people who knew the risks - the same as mountain climbers or sky-divers or race car drivers - and eagerly enlisted for the opportunity to kill people and blow things up. The military is our warrior class: They were born to do this, they were trained to do this, they need to do this.

Fully 85% of those who've served in Iraq or Afghanistan reenlist at each opportunity. The remaining 15% retired, were invalided out, or married harridans.

If you get a chance, watch the movie "Hurt Locker." Fairly boring, but the screen periodically interjects "330 days remaining," "200 days remaining," "35 days remaining." Then we get to the last five minutes of the movie as the main character gets back home.

Various scenes of him helping with the dishes, mowing the grass, feeding the baby.

Then the last scene: The BDU-dressed main character walks down the ramp of a C-130 carrying his gear as the screen says "365 days remaining."

Reply to
HeyBub

This was what Schwarzkopf was told to say. He had originally said that he wanted to go after Hussein. He said this publicly, on TV. The next day he retracted that.

Reply to
CW

A few thousand potential underwear bombers buired face down in the sand and not dropping planes out of our skys.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Was the KoolAid at least chilled?

Reply to
Robatoy

Nobody has provided me my talking points. I dream this shit up all by myself.

I remember back when I was so anti-war during the Vietnam era (luckily I was a little to young to die). Then I learned about the millions of Cambodians that paid the price of us giving up too soon. Just one example of the outcome of childish simplistic "can't we all just get along" thinking. I've grown up now and come to realize that America cast her lot back at the time of the Civil War. We will forever line up to die to try and right wrongs in the world wherever they exists. We have been pretty good at it although it is clearly an imperfect game in an imperfect world.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

We didn't give up too soon. We concluded a Peace Treaty with the North Vietnamese, complete with handshakes and everything. Henry Kissenger got the Nobel Peace Prize for the effort.

A year after our last combat troops had left South Viet Nam, the Democrats in Congress cut off all military assistance and funding to the country. The North Vietnamese invaded the South again. With no bullets, the South fell.

I'm still conflicted over who was the most perfidious: The North Vietnamese or the Democrats.

Reply to
HeyBub

You saw the film, huh. Whooosh.........!!!

Max

Reply to
Max

Long before the last of our troops left, the Demonrats cut funding to the war and thousands of our soldiers died as a result of being over there without any way to defend themselves.

Demonrats. When will they ever learn?

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A pretty lame troll. Almost qualifies as chumming.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

In all fairness, that was rank stupidity, not perfidy.

Reply to
Just Wondering

In a legislative body, the difference between incompetence and malice is undetectable. Often it is both.

Reply to
HeyBub

Fairness my ass. They continue to know what they're doing and they don't care. It's beyond perfidy, it's treasonous. I'd prefer beheadings or drawing and quartering, but what's going to happen to them in November will at least help stop our losses. IF America as we know it survives until then.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ah yes, the voice of moderation. perhaps we've forgotten why the Bushites got kicked out in the last election. Herewith a reminder:

Iraq = 9/11 WMD Mission accomplished You're doing a heck of a job Brownie

etc.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Perhaps it's time to bring back the crusades...

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The mission WAS accomplished until W allowed his administration to get sucked into nation building (aka Fixing What We Did Not Break In The First Place) by our fine US State Department.

Speaking of keeping score ... I'd say the less than $1T spent on this war is rather minor compared to the multiples of $Trillions President Changeium has had to print to keep up his profligate vote buying.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk