O/T: SawStop

Page 2 of 3
Great. I think the saw is an excellent tool, and has a very good chance of saving more than a finger.
Glad to hear that it is working and not firing off randomly has many surmise.
On 1/16/2012 7:15 PM, dhall987 wrote:

On 1/16/2012 8:59 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood fab shops. I could false trip that junk bastard in less than an hour.
--
Steve Barker
"Steve Barker" wrote:

---------------------------------- Since the insurance industry is driving the installation of the technology, best get on board and embrace it.
It's not going away.
Lew
On 1/16/2012 11:05 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

there will never be one in my shop.
--
Steve Barker
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:23:01 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

If it will help you, then *fear* of the insurance companies is driving it. Fear of increased rates from lawsuits. Fear of having all insurance terminated. It doesn't matter how you slice it, when the end result is money, or the very real possibility of losing it because of an injury, then there are only two choices. Comply or go broke/out of business.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:05:29 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

There doesn't have to be noise about it Mike, but I know it's in the back of the minds of every business owner. As it should be if money and/or injuries are of a possible concern.
When Robin Lee was giving me a tour of the new Toronto flagship store a few years ago, part of that tour included the seminar rooms. When I commented on the SawStop in one of the rooms, he commented that he'd be adding SawStops to all his Lee Valley Tool stores.
What other reason could there be for doing this? The public and his employees would be using this saw. It was a protective act and that's what insurance is all about ~ protection against something unfortunate.
He didn't
-------- "Dave" wrote in message
When Robin Lee was giving me a tour of the new Toronto flagship store a few years ago, part of that tour included the seminar rooms. When I commented on the SawStop in one of the rooms, he commented that he'd be adding SawStops to all his Lee Valley Tool stores.
What other reason could there be for doing this? The public and his employees would be using this saw. It was a protective act and that's what insurance is all about ~ protection against something unfortunate.

You couldn't know. A few years ago, you weren't old enough to tie your own shoes. Are you able to tie them now?
I won't copy your lies. Try to act grown up Davey.
-------- "Dave" wrote in message
You couldn't know. A few years ago, you weren't old enough to tie your own shoes. Are you able to tie them now?
On 1/17/2012 8:50 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Yeah I said that about cordless drills over 9.6 volts. That was a silly thought.
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

-------------------------------- See Dave's post.
He saved me the trouble.
Lew
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

------------------------- Try the old saw, "An iron fist in a velvet glove".
Lew
On 1/17/2012 10:23 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Another fine mess you've gotten us into . . . brought to you by lawyers. If you want the facts look up Osario / lawsuit / Ryobi
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 1/16/2012 8:59 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood fab shops. I could false trip that junk bastard in less than an hour. ========================================================================Another one of these people that think that breaking things makes them a real man.
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:19:08 -0600, Steve Barker

Actually, they are. Our Workman's Comp insurance carrier is advocating their use and has managed to get a few places to switch to them. Talking to the guy that visits our plant, he told me on one instance of a trip where it saved a serious injury.
I'm sure you can make it false trip, but I'm sure if you were serious about its use, you'd also prevent that from happening. I bet you can make your airbags go off too.
On 1/17/2012 5:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

With the comment he made it sounds as if he did set his airbag off, the hot air one.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:07:40 -0800, Larry Jaques

So? Which is it? You need new glasses or you do it just because you can?
On 1/16/2012 10:19 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

You would be wrong to doubt that. Google to find comments from commercial shop owners.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:51:07 -0600, Leon wrote:

Indeed. I know of one local commercial cabinet shop that had over 10 of them the last time I talked to them about 3 years ago. They probably have more by now.
Their employees do repetitive work all day and get careless. According to their equipment maintenance guy, he replaces a SawStop cartridge about once a month. According to him, they've paid for the saws many times in reduced Workmans Comp claims.
OTOH, I agree with those who object to the maker pushing for a law requiring the use of his invention. Maybe we should push for one making the technique public domain in the interest of public safety :-).

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:42:12 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

What did he say about cost of damaged blades, hmmm?

If it becomes law, the invention should be sequestered by the gov't. lest the speaking weasel's invention become a monopoly.
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman