O/T: SawStop

Page 1 of 3
Just received notice from Cerritos College that because of California state budget cuts, all summer WMT (Wood Manufacturing Technology) courses have been canceled; however, money has been found to replace all ten (10), 10" table saws, which includes General, PM66 and Unisaw with new SawStop units.
Would appear the lawyers have spoken.
Lew
OOPS!
Definitely ON TOPIC.
Lew ----------------------------- Just received notice from Cerritos College that because of California state budget cuts, all summer WMT (Wood Manufacturing Technology) courses have been canceled; however, money has been found to replace all ten (10), 10" table saws, which includes General, PM66 and Unisaw with new SawStop units.
Would appear the lawyers have spoken.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
OOPS!
----------------------------- Just received notice from Cerritos College that because of California state budget cuts, all summer WMT (Wood Manufacturing Technology) courses have been canceled; however, money has been found to replace all ten (10), 10" table saws, which includes General, PM66 and Unisaw with new SawStop units.
Would appear the lawyers have spoken. ========================================== Yep. When they come out with a 12 inch I'll get two for my school. My list says a gotta have 12 inch, and I go with that all the way.
-- Jim in NC
Time to keep an eye on Interschola, the company that liqidates old government stuff, usually via eBay. That is where I got my old PM 66 TS and PM 26 Shaper for a song.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

-------------------------------- It is 3-phase equipment.
Lew
Yup. 3-ph. I invested in a 3hp rotary converter. You can run multiple machines at the same time as long as you start them at different times. Having this converter has allowed me to get one other great deal because 3 ph equip is harder to sell in the after market so prices can be great.
I got a Ritter edge sander 132" belt for $300 from a cabinet shop going out of business. It was pretty much the last piece of equip he had to sell and he started at $2k which would have been a good price.

Did they mention when the sale was taking place on the old saws?
On 04/06/2011 06:39 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Michael Kenefick" wrote:

No.
Lew

Great. We now have brand new safe saws but we won't let anyone use them.

They are speaking all over the place. Our rural high school has abandoned plans to re-start their wood program. Years ago it was excellent and they still have some pretty good Unisaws and other equipment.
No-go with the boards lawyers. Too much risk without replacing table saws.
End of story; which is especially tragic since we have the Pittsburg State University Wood Technology program 30 miles away, and two top- end cabinet makers here in town. The owners of those shops started cutting wood in this High School years ago.
RonB
"RonB" wrote:

excellent and they still have some pretty good Unisaws and other equipment.
No-go with the boards lawyers. Too much risk without replacing table saws.
End of story; which is especially tragic since we have the Pittsburg State University Wood Technology program 30 miles away, and two top- end cabinet makers here in town. The owners of those shops started cutting wood in this High School years ago. -------------------------------
Just a thought.
I wonder if there is a reduction in liability insurance premium for switching to SawStop, and if so, what is the time involved to recover the SawStop investment?
Any insurance people on board the list?
Lew

I would think unlikely that a discount for liability would be offered. The TS is only one of the machines in a typical shop that can cause serious injury. A jointer, lathe, and or a shaper are a few that can do as much harm as a TS.

Insurance companies are pushing the use of Saw Stop technology though. I know our Workman's Comp carrier is strongly recommending their customers change over to them. It is just one of many factors in evaluating a company for rates/coverage.

I wonder how many cities and school districts are self-insured.

As a school district business manager (in Pennsylvania) I always have to wonder about these stories. I have never had an insurance agent ask about our tablesaws. The paperwork filled out each year as we get insurance quotes from various firms is very extensive, but that item is NOT questioned. We did however not long ago replace our 1950s unisaws with SawStops when we renovated our High School as that seemed the appropriate thing to provide to a bunch of hormone driven, inexperienced kids that we were going to have using tablesaws. Safety is clearly an extremely important consideration in all things having to do with a school shop program.
In Pennsylvania as in many (if not all) states there is the legal concept of Tort Immunities for state government (of which schools really are even if they seem to be local). In PA that essentially means that we are exempt from tort liability unless the liability results from improper care and maintenance of real estate. That means we would be exempt from liability for a kid cutting off their hand on the saw, unless it happened because he tripped on some defect in the floor that should not have existed. Of course judges tend to be extremely liberal (on the plaintiffs side) in deciding what was caused by improper care and maintenance of real estate.
On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 13:09:26 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

says...

You are going to make the kids or their parents pay for testing the saw stop function with a hot dog?

I wonder how many "tests" (and subsequent repairs) the school board will allow? If I know "kids", and I do, there will be a lot of "tests".
Max

I would hope so!
Seems to me, the saw company could provide the parts Pro-bono one every year. The only downside is getting all classes there at once - but for shop classes - Saturday or before school starts would be easy.
I taught a 2 year, 2 hour program in Electronics. Industrial kind, not Radio/Tv. There was a shop for that. The tricky stuff for me was high voltage, high current and sometimes both. I gave some good demo's that opened eyes and after a couple of 'bites' on lower voltages they knew when to talk girls and when to grit teeth and do the work.
The nice thing, it was over 30 years since I taught in the High School and I get a student every now and then spot me on the net and sends an email. Lots of good men came out and lots of them would not have gotten a GED but managed a real one. I taught math for electronics - as the math classes were later in the year for the subjects - and the first few years the math teachers looked me up. What did you do to xxx - my SAT kids don't know what he does.
Good plans and good laws. Head shed wants to keep Tort zero so they keep up with the shops. Cool.
Martin
On 4/10/2011 9:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Well it has been a long time since I posted this and the sawstops were purchased in or about 2008 or 2009. To my knowledge they have not been activated even once. Certainly they have not been activated enough to use the cartridges that came with the saws as I would have had to approve any POs for replacements. Read into that anything you want about the saws, the kids, the teachers and the program.