O/T: Sandy

Page 3 of 3

If you mean the one in Breezy Point, no. While only maybe 8 miles as the crow flies, it would probably take me a half hour to drive there. Breezy Point is on the tip of the Rockaway peninsula, a very narrow strip of sand. While technically part of Queens, you can most easily access that area via a bridge from Brooklyn.
"Greg Guarino" wrote:

Breezy Point is on the tip of the Rockaway peninsula, a very narrow strip of sand. While technically part of Queens, you can most easily access that area via a bridge from Brooklyn. ---------------------------------------------------------------- All we got was some video showing a high-rise on fire identifying the building as an apartment complex in Queens.
Lew
Something I can relate to.
Lake Erie is experiencing 10'-20' waves as a result of Sandy.
I've been sailing on Erie in 6'-8' waves.
Those were big enough to tighten the old sphincter.
Lew

I haven't heard about that. Queens is a pretty big place with just shy of 2 million residents and lots of apartment complexes, so perhaps that particular news bit got lost amid all the rest. My part of town is almost entirely 1 and 2 family houses.
On 10/29/2012 9:14 PM, Greg Guarino wrote: Snip

Good for you Greg, preparation is 99% of the battle in most cases.
With Manhattan under water does this mean we are going to have to bail out wall street - again?
On 10/30/2012 1:27 AM, Richard wrote:

No, It will soon drain all on its own.
On 10/30/12 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:

I think we need another bailout of Wall Street.
thank you... thank you... I'm here all week. Tip your waitress.
--

-MIKE-

On 10/30/12 10:43 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

It's better when you add the pizza parlor/comedy club ambiance. :-)
--

-MIKE-

We went to a Hallowe'en party of sorts last night, which was planned well before the storm. The hosts asked that we transform the party into a donation event for some colleagues that lived in the Rockaways ( a barrier peninsula). Apparently their houses survived, but the contents were badly damaged and there is a tremendous amount of clean- up to do. We were asked to bring cleaning supplies, canned goods, etc.
My wife went this morning to help cart the donated items. As she was leaving I tossed in a hand saw and a hammer, figuring they might come in handy in a place likely to be out of electricity for a while. As a novice woodworker, I don't really have the skill to use more than three hammers at a time anyway.