O/T: Sandy

the crow flies, it would probably take me a half hour to drive there. Breezy Point is on the tip of the Rockaway peninsula, a very narrow strip of sand. While technically part of Queens, you can most easily access that area via a bridge from Brooklyn.

---------------------------------------------------------------- All we got was some video showing a high-rise on fire identifying the building as an apartment complex in Queens.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Something I can relate to.

Lake Erie is experiencing 10'-20' waves as a result of Sandy.

I've been sailing on Erie in 6'-8' waves.

Those were big enough to tighten the old sphincter.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I haven't heard about that. Queens is a pretty big place with just shy of 2 million residents and lots of apartment complexes, so perhaps that particular news bit got lost amid all the rest. My part of town is almost entirely 1 and 2 family houses.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:508f1f44$0$34181$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Slowly recovering from 99 hrs of blackout. We were lucky that we got power back Friday evening, some parts of town are still without, expecting to get it back tonight.

Yes, underground has disadvantages, especially if (like the Manhattan VA) you put emergency generators and electrical substations where flood waters can reach them. The VA had a flood that got into the subbasement some 2 or 3 decades ago (East River rose up and put the cars in the parking lot underwater to over their hoods). That lesson wasn't heeded when they put the new and improved emergency generators in the subbasement ...

I would have thought that normally underground utilities (for distribution) would be reasonably water proof.

The fairly rapid recovery in lower Manhattan proves that underground utilities do work properly. Now if the expletive deleted will plan better for proper placement of the essential equipment ...

Reply to
Han

We went to a Hallowe'en party of sorts last night, which was planned well before the storm. The hosts asked that we transform the party into a donation event for some colleagues that lived in the Rockaways ( a barrier peninsula). Apparently their houses survived, but the contents were badly damaged and there is a tremendous amount of clean- up to do. We were asked to bring cleaning supplies, canned goods, etc.

My wife went this morning to help cart the donated items. As she was leaving I tossed in a hand saw and a hammer, figuring they might come in handy in a place likely to be out of electricity for a while. As a novice woodworker, I don't really have the skill to use more than three hammers at a time anyway.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Most IT generators are located on tops of buildings. But most battery backup systems are in the basement due to weight.

Do you see a problem with salt water and batteries???

I worked at AT&T years ago, the NOC had the batteries 3 floors below... just can't see that being bad where that building was located. But put it closer to the shore and I can't see that being smart.

Reply to
tiredofspam

tiredofspam wrote in news:- I2dnXoEjsnOMwvNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Ummm, salt water would only be a problem if it formed a path between battery terminals or wiring. But that could indeed become a problem if the pumps failed ...

You mean the old ATT building close to the Brooklyn bridge?

Reply to
Han

No, in NJ...

I w> tiredofspam wrote in news:-

Reply to
tiredofspam

tiredofspam wrote in news:OsydnaIL7aIrJgvNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Way back when Floyd hit us, an ATT station near Rochelle Park got flooded and put out almost all phones in NE NJ ...

Reply to
Han

There are some types of lead-acid storage batteries that are sealed, however, most are vented in some fashion.

Reply to
Larry W