O/T: Remembered

It was announced on the news tonight that today was the 65th anniversary of FDR's death.
Did a flash back to that day and the day after.
It was a typical Northern Ohio Mid April weather, cold and overcast.
As I sat in my 2nd grade class looking out the window the next day, saw the flag flying at half mast outside.
Raised my hand and asked the teacher, Miss Zeh, "Why was the flag stuck half way up the pole."
She took the opportunity to give us a lesson in respect that day.
Funny the things you have stored in long term memory.
Lew

Funny, but be thankful you have it ...

FDR was 63 years old when he died, and looked ancient and worn out. I was then 10 years old - in the 5th grade, and wondered if I would live to see the year 2000.
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:37:46 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

What I recall is that they interrupted Terry and the Pirates on the radio to announce it. At 7 years old, I was really irritated by that :-).

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

Didn't get Terry, but Tom Mix, Sky King, The Green Hornet, Sergeant Preston and his dog, and Capt'n Midnight did the job.
Even had Capt'n Midnight's Secret Decoder Ring.
Lew
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:57:34 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

I had Deputy Dawg at that age. I watched it on my Philco with the movable picture tube. http://fwd4.me/LUI
When I was in 4th grade, they came on the intercom and announced that the President had been shot and had all the teachers turn on the class TV sets. We watched the news from the grassy knoll in Dallas, TX until our parents all came to pick us up and take us home for the day. There were lots of tears by everyone as I recall. Sad day.
--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!

scrawled the following:

I consistently get the date wrong. I was stationed in England and got up at 5am the next day for a 6am shift, so it was the 23rd when I got the news and the date got burned into my long term storage..

If you want to hear some of these shows again, visit:
alt.binaries.sound.radio.oldtime (for new encodes)
alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime (for reposts of anything previously posted anytime in the past)
the first group is the single 's' SOUND group. the second group is the double 's' SOUNDS group.
Depending on your ISP's retention there are some high quality Shadow, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Superman, Six Shooter (starring Jimmy Stewart), I Love a Mystery, and miscellaneous others. There is a separate group for CBS Radio Mystery Theater, and several different BBC groups.