O/T: Ramblings of a Retired Mind

Page 4 of 4
CW said:

Cell phones are no good when the towers blow down in a hurricane or tornado, or are overloaded, as you point out.
You're on the right track with the radio! When the big one falls, HAMs will be among the few not running around like decapitated chickens. Keep a hank long wire antenna stashed for emergencies.
(For a toe tapping dystopian scenario, listen to Steely Dan, King of the World - 1976)
Greg G.

I'm not just arguing but there is still a fair amount of phone service above ground. I would agree though that while cell service is getting much better in our rural area, it might be iffy in a serious weather event.
However, I had the occasion to call 911 a couple of months ago during a hell of a thunderstorm. In addition to 5+ inches of rain in 2-3 hours we took one VERY CLOSE lightening strike. Lit up the entire interior of the house WHITE. I saw sparks and debris flying out of a GFI receptacle in our kitchen and grabbed the phone immediately. The call went right through.
We ended up with about $2,000 worth of electronics and electrical damage not including all of our internet provider's wireless equipment.
However...........This string of messages has given me reason to think about good reasons to have a land line.
Hhhhmmmmmm.
RonB
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:31:02 -0500, the infamous Greg

Battery powered HAM. Almost anyone can get a HAM license nowadays since they took out the keying requirement. You no longer need to know Morris (_or_ Morse) code. The little handheld units are selling for under $100 everywhere. I'm tempted, but so far haven't jumped. My buddy sent me a CD with all sorts of info on it.

Iffen it's a toe tappin' dystopian scenario you're wanting, me boyo, listen to King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man". It's my Fripp and Wesson. </poetic license>
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
Larry Jaques wrote:

If, by "toe tappin'" you mean a song where the band sounds like it's running down a long and randomly winding staircase while they're playing their instruments, then yeah, it's a toe-tapper all right! What glorious chaos. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Had the LP. It's gone. King Crimson, Brian Eno, Talking Heads, BOC. Although toe tapping isn't the first thing that comes to mind... Even Swingman would like the mixes on the Steely Dan stuff. Smooth, layered, harmonic depth. Horns, back melodies, lyrics of sorts. No wall of excruciating sound. Back when producers had ears.
Greg G.
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:20:38 -0500, the infamous Greg

I switched to jazz, but I still have (and listen to) lots of King Crimson, Zep, Black Sabbath (#2), Jethro Tull (#1, my fave band ever) and Steely Dan.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

About four years ago we had a pretty serious blizzard hit the city. White out conditions, buses stopped running, schools closed.
As it turned out, not only was every citizen on their cell trying to sort out picking up the kids, etc., but the emergency responders had decided the cellular system was the way to go for communications in an emergency.
Every radio station in town was asking people to stay off their cell phones so the cops and firefighters could use the circuits!
Idiots...
Dave Balderstone said:

I second that. What the he** was wrong the VHF/FM radios used successfully for the past 40 years? Let me guess, some shill for the telecom industry sold some bribe-taking pink-handed paper-shuffler on the idea...
Greg G.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:37:16 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Proof to Naily that CA isn't perfect! This is wonderful news. ;)

My buddy in LoCal works for the emergency guys, RACES, in San Diego County, CA, USA. They were able to convince the local idiots not to do that same thing your guys did, so the fire, police, emergency crews can now, finally, all talk to one another. Even during emergencies, _and_ all at once! I don't recall the details, but it really helped during the fires in recent years in SoCal.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
on 11/16/2009 11:18 PM (ET) Lew Hodgett wrote the following:

Sorry for the late post, but that is really funny.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY