O/T: Ramblings of a Retired Mind

Page 3 of 4
Swingman wrote:

Really? Something like this: <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd7MOYYoaoA
?

Rob Leatham

Be careful in England when you see chicken on the menu in an Asian restaurant! Might be anything from cat to rat to canned cat food. Oh, well, I'll have the tandoori rat today ...
LDosser wrote:

According to the authors of "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", "bakers", as culinary rat was known in the Royal Navy in Nelson's day, is actually not bad at all.
Greg G. said:

For a blast from the past...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPzydJ7xKlo

Greg G.

Dunno about rabbits. I haven't grown it for about 15 - 16 years, but I've had pet rabbits in that time period (have one now) and them bastards will eat about anything that grows.
It's actually a quite attractive plant. Kinda blueish green, small lobed leaves with small yellow flowers. When I was in Vancouver we had it in the garden and it grew about 3 foot high by 3 foot wide. Very aromatic smell. Horrible taste.
Dave Balderstone said:

Yep. It did.

I've quite a few ornamentals, but it would rot in the ground here. High humidity, clay soils, wet roots. Might just help in warding off the evil spirits, however. I mess with garden/horticulture stuff too:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/images/Garden1.jpg
Greg G.

WTF, Morris.. are you Dutch? <G>

Keeping your hands wet with water while working with garlic and onions won't allow any of the stinky juices to get into your skin. Same thing goes for cutting boards. Wet first, then use. Makes sense when you think about it.
Robatoy said:

Good idea worth trying. When I cook I end up smelling like garlic and onions for three days. Wonder if that works with hypoid gear lube...
Greg G.
Robatoy wrote:

Only after genevers :-D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

Don't get the idea I eat potato chips and beer at home. I keep a half dozen varieties of beans and peas, potatoes, rice, cheeses, breads around. Things with a short shelf-life don't make it often. Sometimes I'll make a large batch of spaghetti or lasagne and freeze it in meal sized blocks. Sometimes I don't feel like messing with it at all and eat a to-go burger. Eating out could be the only predictable social life I would have otherwise. :) I'd never leave the house. Hey, I even have Raman noodles. ;)

I'm always open for something easy and good. (Like THAT ever happens.) But when traveling you gotta go out just to meet the locals and such. I hate to cook, and eat to live. Mostly. If could take a green pill each day and dispense with eating I probably would for most meals. But I can make biscuits that are fairly edible, and great popcorn! One reason I avoid cooking is that while waiting on something or another to steep, boil, or bake, I'll get distracted by a project or book or... and whatever I was preparing burns to a crisp. Less of a problem now with electronic times and such, but if you only knew... Besides, isn't that women are for? <g,d,&r) Send 'em on! (the recipes, that is.)
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Want to liven up your life? Pick up a bag of salad at the supermarket and invite one of the gals from work over for a (pot roast) supper sometime. She _will_ tell her friends about it, and you should be prepared to deal with the other gals trying to wrangle dinner invitations. :)

Friends don't let friends eat Raman noodles. Yes, they'll keep your belly button separated from your spine, but they have _zip_ nutritional value. You can find Raman noodle soups (just add water and microwave) and they're about as nutritional as the water you add. Don't do that to yourself!

I've seen a fair number of recipes here - but not a lot of good basic fare. I have some favorites and will post 'em here for peer review. I'm really not much of a cook, but know for certain that eating well is a fundamental requirement for thinking well - I just heard on PBS' "Becoming Human" series that 25% of the human energy budget is used by our brains, and that's worth more than just passing consideration...

I hear you - but it doesn't work that way. There's just no way to sustain a 100+ pound human body on 1/10 ounce of anything - much less keep it healthy and functional - and if eating is necessary, then it might as well be enjoyable.

You think I don't? I have a cheap little electronic timer with a belt clip (bought at the recommendation of a PHLX software analyst) that solved the problem for me. I'd put the food on to cook and go make software in another room...

Hmm. You think your ex was the only gal who couldn't cook? Here's a flash for you: of the women who _can_ cook, 50% have /below/ /average/ cooking skills!

I posted my first. More to come later...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

I tried that when I was young - never any women. Tried working two jobs to meet a sane one, but technical jobs in the south attracted zero women. The girl I work with and I code from home, so that wouldn't work too well. Her only unmarried friends live in MA and PA and CA. Customers are scattered over the country, none even in this state. And that's why I go out! And that has its own share of evils... And I won't /even/ elaborate there... And as one girl told me last year, "You are geographically undesirable." Gee, thanks! (I don't live in yuppy single's land, neighbors are Married With Children, and I /really/ don't think they want their daughters messed with :) )

Ha! I know, that's why the smiley. Good for sodium and a trace of niacin. Not much else, except when the sheilas and rug-munchers get sick and can't keep anything else down..

Yes, mother. :)

And as usual, I beat the odds. :)

I've actually had something very much like this - it was pretty good and tender. I don't own a crock pot though. Kitchen utensils take a back seat to tools/flight. Used to own kitchen stuff, and a cookbook or two to boot, but life is a roller coaster & I'm a rolling stone...
Greg G.

Ramen = college food when the allotted food funds have been 'wasted' on getting 'wasted'.
Now, I read the salt content on a raman package and I pretty near get heart palpitations. That shit will killya!
I did learn to prepare KD in 142 different ways though. (Ah yes..those days when you could still buy 8 packages for $ 1.49)
Robatoy said:

Deja vu. Had this exchange two days ago. As I was "cooking" one of the 6 for $1.25 packs - I'm guilty and fully aware of my crime.
142 ways, eh? You do realize you should publish a college cookbook. There's money in them salt mines.
Greg G.
In just over 30 minutes you can feed a group of 4 BIG eaters.(From waaaaay back)
1 lb Italian sausage 1 large jar of spaghetti sauce 1 box of favorite pasta Loaf of favorite bread
Slice up sausage in bite size pieces brown in Large frying pan Dump in sauce Simmer for 30 minutes
Cook Pasta.....(try to read directions)
Serve sauce w/sausage over pasta.......
Greg G. wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

We keep one of each. Fire before last, the cell towers burned down. Last fire, the phone wires (poles) went. Great stuff.     comm whiz,     jo4hn
jo4hn said:

Where do you live? Seminole, Florida or the Sierra Nevadas? That's a lot of fires...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Southern California. East of LA about 70 miles on I10, then turn left and go up to 7000 feet elevation in the San Bernardino National Forest. Desert mountain mixed conifer and deciduous (mainly white oak) forest. We get some rain in the fall and 5 to 20 feet of snow in the winter. No other precipitation.
The forest service and local forestry groups have finally started to try to maintain and thin the forest. It's tough to let stuff burn if there is a chance that it will get out of control. Our town now has a ring around it of areas with little brush and healthy trees. All we have to do now is maintain it. A small price for living in paradise.
    good luck to us,     jo4hn
jo4hn said:

Helped watch over a friend's B&B a couple of years ago in the Sierra Nevada's; there were fires and warnings all around. Dry as heck. Great weather, out in the middle nowhere next to a National Park, lots of hummingbirds, a stocked rainbow trout stream, and dry as heck. Puddling butterflies, big-ass sequoia trees, no traffic, mountains, smoke, and dry as heck. ;-)

I'll say.
Greg G.

I can and if I lived in tornado alley like you do, it would be even more important to me. Cell phone providers generally oversell their systems by about 75%. Their thinking is that no more than 25% of their subscribers will be using the phone at any one time. They are right, usually. In the case of natural (or unnatural) disaster, the cell system gets so jammed that it is useless. Many people will try to claim otherwise but I have seen it time after time. Same will happen with emergency services due to the trunking system many places are using. At least around here (Seattle) they were smart enough to plan for that and they retained their old frequencies for backup. I have a land line ($55 per month). I also have a cell phone ($16.50 per month) that I use for most everything (including texting which is half rate and long distance which is no additional charge) but I will not give up my land line. In a disaster situation (such as the earthquake we had here some years back) cell phones were, as usual, useless. Between my land line and 2 meter radio, communication was no problem.