O/T: Ramblings of a Retired Mind

Want to liven up your life? Pick up a bag of salad at the supermarket and invite one of the gals from work over for a (pot roast) supper sometime. She _will_ tell her friends about it, and you should be prepared to deal with the other gals trying to wrangle dinner invitations. :)

Friends don't let friends eat Raman noodles. Yes, they'll keep your belly button separated from your spine, but they have _zip_ nutritional value. You can find Raman noodle soups (just add water and microwave) and they're about as nutritional as the water you add. Don't do that to yourself!

I've seen a fair number of recipes here - but not a lot of good basic fare. I have some favorites and will post 'em here for peer review. I'm really not much of a cook, but know for certain that eating well is a fundamental requirement for thinking well - I just heard on PBS' "Becoming Human" series that 25% of the human energy budget is used by our brains, and that's worth more than just passing consideration...

I hear you - but it doesn't work that way. There's just no way to sustain a 100+ pound human body on 1/10 ounce of anything - much less keep it healthy and functional - and if eating is necessary, then it might as well be enjoyable.

You think I don't? I have a cheap little electronic timer with a belt clip (bought at the recommendation of a PHLX software analyst) that solved the problem for me. I'd put the food on to cook and go make software in another room...

I posted my first. More to come later...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Don't mean to hijack your recipe, but let me "Cajunize" it a just bit, cher:

Add fresh sliced mushrooms and one chopped bell pepper to the mix, make slits in the raw roast with a paring knife and insert a few peeled garlic cloves, and replace the water with red wine. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I tried that when I was young - never any women. Tried working two jobs to meet a sane one, but technical jobs in the south attracted zero women. The girl I work with and I code from home, so that wouldn't work too well. Her only unmarried friends live in MA and PA and CA. Customers are scattered over the country, none even in this state. And that's why I go out! And that has its own share of evils... And I won't /even/ elaborate there... And as one girl told me last year, "You are geographically undesirable." Gee, thanks! (I don't live in yuppy single's land, neighbors are Married With Children, and I /really/ don't think they want their daughters messed with :) )

Ha! I know, that's why the smiley. Good for sodium and a trace of niacin. Not much else, except when the sheilas and rug-munchers get sick and can't keep anything else down..

And as usual, I beat the odds. :)

I've actually had something very much like this - it was pretty good and tender. I don't own a crock pot though. Kitchen utensils take a back seat to tools/flight. Used to own kitchen stuff, and a cookbook or two to boot, but life is a roller coaster & I'm a rolling stone...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Southern California. East of LA about 70 miles on I10, then turn left and go up to 7000 feet elevation in the San Bernardino National Forest. Desert mountain mixed conifer and deciduous (mainly white oak) forest. We get some rain in the fall and 5 to 20 feet of snow in the winter. No other precipitation.

The forest service and local forestry groups have finally started to try to maintain and thin the forest. It's tough to let stuff burn if there is a chance that it will get out of control. Our town now has a ring around it of areas with little brush and healthy trees. All we have to do now is maintain it. A small price for living in paradise.

good luck to us, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Not sure how Cajun that is, no rue or crayfish? :) But sounds good. I have bell peppers growing outside alongside some unknown Scovel Latin American red peppers. One of the last things still growing.

Seems like an ongoing stone soup recipe.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Helped watch over a friend's B&B a couple of years ago in the Sierra Nevada's; there were fires and warnings all around. Dry as heck. Great weather, out in the middle nowhere next to a National Park, lots of hummingbirds, a stocked rainbow trout stream, and dry as heck. Puddling butterflies, big-ass sequoia trees, no traffic, mountains, smoke, and dry as heck. ;-)

I'll say.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

It's a Cajun touch alright, cher. I touched it, and I are one.

.... and that's "roux" to you! :)

Reply to
Swingman

It's a Cajun touch alright, cher. I touched it, and I are one.

.... and that's "roux" to you! :)

Reply to
Swingman

I believe ya; prolly stole it from the Poms, though. :)

Yea, I caught that - too late. My French/Cajun sucks. Rue /is/ an aromatic medicinal herb, however; and less fattening. :-o (Though about the same as red-eye gravy slathered over ham in Dixie.)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

WTF, Morris.. are you Dutch?

Keeping your hands wet with water while working with garlic and onions won't allow any of the stinky juices to get into your skin. Same thing goes for cutting boards. Wet first, then use. Makes sense when you think about it.

Reply to
Robatoy

Good idea worth trying. When I cook I end up smelling like garlic and onions for three days. Wonder if that works with hypoid gear lube...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

You mean roux, not rue... rue is one of the bitter herbs from the bible and tastes HORRIBLE.

Good for keeping cats out of gardens, though.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Ramen =3D college food when the allotted food funds have been 'wasted' on getting 'wasted'.

Now, I read the salt content on a raman package and I pretty near get heart palpitations. That shit will killya!

I did learn to prepare KD in 142 different ways though. (Ah yes..those days when you could still buy 8 packages for $ 1.49)

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, yeah. I caught that, and and course, so did Swingman. Reminds me of Justin Wilson on PBS. I gar-on-tee!

Does it work for rabbits? Cute little bastards...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

My neighbours asked my daughter to "feed the rabbit" while they were away to Florida last week. It seems that their little girl has been taking good care of that rabbit. Farking thing lives in a cage originally designed for a family of Irish wolfhounds. I looked and thought..."how cute that the little wabbit is hiding behind the big black bean-bag chair in that there walk-in cage." It *is* the bean-bag chair.... I never knew those things got to be that huge. Oh... and those cute 'wabbit' poop-pellets?....GOLF balls!

Reply to
Robatoy

For a blast from the past...

G.

Reply to
Greg G

Deja vu. Had this exchange two days ago. As I was "cooking" one of the 6 for $1.25 packs - I'm guilty and fully aware of my crime.

142 ways, eh? You do realize you should publish a college cookbook. There's money in them salt mines.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

There are varieties that get awfully big. A friend in NJ is a bunny aficionado. When she posted a picture of a huge Labrador-sized rabbit, my comment was that it would feed a family of 4 (poorly) for a week.

A month ago some prankster dumped their kid's pet white rabbit in the garden. It was helping itself to the carrots when found and it stayed inside (caged) for a few weeks while the owner was sought. Cute but the dumbest animal ever born. Ended up in a rabbit stew.. err... farm.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Dunno about rabbits. I haven't grown it for about 15 - 16 years, but I've had pet rabbits in that time period (have one now) and them bastards will eat about anything that grows.

It's actually a quite attractive plant. Kinda blueish green, small lobed leaves with small yellow flowers. When I was in Vancouver we had it in the garden and it grew about 3 foot high by 3 foot wide. Very aromatic smell. Horrible taste.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yep. It did.

I've quite a few ornamentals, but it would rot in the ground here. High humidity, clay soils, wet roots. Might just help in warding off the evil spirits, however. I mess with garden/horticulture stuff too:

G.

Reply to
Greg G