O/T: Post Turtles

Page 1 of 2
I don't write 'em, just 'post em
Lew ........................................................................ While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75-year old Texas rancher whose hand was caught in a gate while working cattle, a doctor struck up a conversation with the old man.
Eventually, the topic got around to former Texas Governor, George W. Bush, and his elevation to the White House.
The old Texan said, "Well, ya know, Bush is a 'post turtle'."
Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post turtle' was.
The old rancher said, "When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle."
The old man saw a puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to explain.
"You know he didn't get there by himself, he doesn't belong there, he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, and you just want to help the dumb sh** get down!"
Off topic posts like really screw up the newsgroups. I'm sure there's another venue somewhere for you to vent. Dick

We're amongst friends here, Dick. We share all kinds of stuff. So... what part of OT didn't you get?

Lew wrote O/T - maybe that threw him.

Maybe it did throw him, but obviously not far enough...*EG*

You did the following: - top-posted - complained about an off-topic post that was clearly marked as off-topic - quoted the entire thing in your response
Your nickname may just be appropriate.
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:18:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

One other thing, he responded to the OT post by first deleting the "OT" in the subject line, thus creating an entire thread of OT stuff which is thus not marked OT.

I agree.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote

Used to piss me off when folks did that until I realized it was MSFT, in their infinite wisdom, removing the control character, ":" in the subject header.
Best way to insure that "OT" stays in the subject header is to use it without the colon, as you did.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

I don't think that's it. I just posted three test messages with replies at alt.test.
One was with "OT: test" in the subject. The second was with "O/T test" in the subject. The third was with "O/T: test" in the subject.
Then I replied to all three. In each case the subject was fully preserved complete with the "OT" or "O/T",
I vote that he removed it.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote

It depends on your newsreader/client ... even the "version" of same may be the culprit.
See my recent reply to the original post for proof that this is indeed the case.
All I did was hit the reply and what you see is what you got ... I most certainly did not remove the OT, my newsreader did.
AAMOF, the RFC calls for removal of the control characters and anything preceding them ... IOW, MSFT is actually following Internet protocols, for a change.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Imagine that.
I'm using (Free) Agent, by the way.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote

Yeah ... I noticed. Good man. :)
(I'm too damn lazy to load it up these days)
I hate to do it, but this is probably worth one of those "do gooder" "FWIW" posts, since it seems to be a common problem, so forgive me. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

I appreciate it, I did not know that. But Microsoft has done everything in its power to screw up the internet. The removal of the OT just leads to two threads instead of just one. Not that Microsoft gives a damn.

I used Free Agent for a number of years and then upgraded to Agent 4.0. It has a little bit of a learning curve, but there's a number of downloading enhancements that blow Free Agent out of the water.
I don't understand, why did you restore the turtle to the top of the post?
--
FF

It was in the chicken's way.
Puckdropper
are you a turtle? ross turtle club of america
"Ross Hebeisen" wrote:

you bet your sweet ass I am.
Lew
thats great Lew, I didn't know if there was any of us around anymore ross I owe ya one
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:42:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:

My card disappeared years ago. Haven't heard the call in a long, long time.