O/T: Pirate Rifles

Page 2 of 5

True. And the 1911s we were stuck with in the Marines were far better up close where you could whap someone on the head with the thing, or throw it like a rock.
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:01:23 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

...I managed to wangle a 1911 as a sidearm in VN, seeing as how we flew around with virtually no armor I figured a good place for a large hunk of metal would be between my legs. I even shot it a few times...once at a 55 gallon drum not 25 feet away; the round clanked out and missed by 5 feet...I *swear* on my expert rating with a .38 that I was aiming true (come on, it was a 55 gallon drum!). Which led me to believe that that particular hunk of steel was one Sgt York had contact with...
cg

I was issued one in Nam and carried it for a month, until the time came to use it.. YUK.. I've heard good things about "sporterized" 45's, but the one the gave me was a POS..
Used it one time.. At a backlit target about 10 or 12 yards away, laying prone with the 45 on a sandbag.. Emptied the sucker and when the "target" was recovered the next morning, I'd only hit it 3 times.. Went to the airbase the next time we were in base camp and bought a .38 and never regretted the change.. YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:31:36 -0700, mac davis

...heh...well, as far as accuracy you're right on the money, but *my* needs were satisfied with the added "armor"...I was a Barney Fife-type...after finding out how it fired, I only carried one round chambered, that one was for me (the VC didn't like scout pilots...)...we had lots of other ordinance and different firearms, plus I was invulnerable. ;0) cg

The military issue .45 auto was designed to do two things. One, deliver a lethal pill to the enemy's body. Two, do it every single time the trigger is pulled. Failure on either point is almost always a case of operator error. In short, ya' gotta be smarter than the tool.
nb

...uh, yeah? That's exactly what a mentor of mine once said as I was cursing at a door I couldn't make work right. Difference is, I had the tools and time to make that door work (and realize I was truly smarter than *it*...after all) and in the case of the weapon no amount of skill on my part was going to make it shoot better...luck, maybe so. My intent in my post was a little humor, nothing more.
...are you sounding condescending on purpose?
cg

Yes. I'm a dick. ;)
nb

Design and execution are often quite far apart.
Even a simple tool knows that.
No doubt the military has all kinds of exotic sighting systems, but even on the high seas, a 30 yard shot from a sniper grade M14 shouldn't be beyond the capabilites of the marksman who were helicoptered to the Navy ship.

Larry W wrote:

Correct. Last night 20/20 showed how routine the shots were for a trained sniper.
http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?ids67613
Unfortunately it's not until the last ten seconds of this clip.
Take off the tin foil hats. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:05:06 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Hell, the snipers in Nam' were getting kills from over 1,000 yards and with the high tech stuff they're using in Iraq, the range, accuracy and lack of recoil is flat incredible..
Check this out: http://www.ftatalk.com/showthread.php?t '8186
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

We are so enamored with technology that we completely blank out any possibility of a skill requirement. You can have a rifle that could nick the butt-hole off a fly at one mile (eye-roll), but if the shooter can't hold steady, it's no better than a tossed biscuit. Try acquiring a target in ANY boat! I can hit a metal chicken (18" at 200 yds) with a 100 yr old bolt action rifle, but put me in a boat and all bets are off. I think I could do a kill maybe one out of 5 at 30 yds. I doubt even the best SEAL could do better. Jes speculation, but feel free to continue the fantasy.
nb
nb

Amen to that.
But, if your hundred year old rifle is a 1903-A3, you have a significantly better chance than a guy with your average M16.
Regards,

Swedish Mauser, 6.5x55, 1898. I have no experience with current AR/M/16s, but the same lessons apply. It's the shooter. ;)
nb

Sweet weapon.
The Swedes used them generalyl until the late seventies and the sniper version was still being used in Bosnia.
Wouldn't mind having one of those M/41B's.
Yeeha!
I believe you gat a neener there.
Regards,
notbob wrote:

Really? How about ten for ten?
http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?ids67613
--

-MIKE-

How about it? "Ideal" shooting platform shooting at "ideal" floating target platform. I've no doubt the actual scenario wasn't even close. Yes, SEALs are trained to be excellent in this bobbing environment, which is no doubt why they are "da bomb" and why it all worked. I'm not saying it didn't. I'm saying the bullshit fantasy that some of you envision is just that. As for the ABC story?.... these ppl can't even distinguish between auto and semi-auto firearms. When it comes to the news media reporting ANYTHING about guns, you can take it to the bank, they're clueless.
nb

I'm not sure things were any less ideal shooting from the Navy ship. And the water conditions looked about the same. I'm guessing it was pretty darn close to what they were dealing with, and even if it wasn't, that sniper made it seem like a walk in the park.
And don't lump me in with the "fantasy envisioned."
I'm trying to give proof to the tinfoil hat society that thinks it's impossible, when it was obviously somewhat routine for trained snipers. And the same evidence discredits the fantasy crowd that thinks there were all kinds of high tech gismos involved.
Bottom line is, if you "doubt even the best SEAL could" routinely make those shots, then you're the one in fantasy land.
--

-MIKE-

Me also.

See. Here we go. "I'm guessing"

"even if it wasn't".... "seem"....

Then quit coming off as same.

So far, you've failed.

Obvious to who?

who are you arguing with? I never said anything "doubt.... best SEAL"
nb
notbob wrote:

Obvious to anyone who's seen what the military can do in the last 20 years.

You didn't? This doesn't look familiar? You wrote it this afternoon.
"Try acquiring a target in ANY boat! I can hit a metal chicken (18" at 200 yds) with a 100 yr old bolt action rifle, but put me in a boat and all bets are off. I think I could do a kill maybe one out of 5 at 30 yds. I doubt even the best SEAL could do better."
How about you put down the bottle before continuing this discussion. :-p
--

-MIKE-