O/T: Opinion

Page 2 of 3

If Somalia had oil there wouldn't be piracy - you can bet on that. What it needs is a working government that can police their own people, and that's not happening anytime soon. The ship ransom's are buying the latest in weaponry and making a lot of big fish in a little pond. Pretty much irresistible to the poor piss-ants.

If Somalia had oil there wouldn't be piracy - you can bet on that. What it needs is a working government that can police their own people, and that's not happening anytime soon. The ship ransom's are buying the latest in weaponry and making a lot of big fish in a little pond. Pretty much irresistible to the poor piss-ants.

If Somalia had oil there wouldn't be piracy - you can bet on that. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But there would still be hostages. See Niger.

The cost is really or should really only really be a few dollars to execute some one. A bullet is all that is needed. I understand the analysis, that in the grand scheme of things, that much more money is spent leading up to the execution however that is not the execution cost, it is the continued defence and accommodations cost. There should be a limit to the amount of money that is spent on both sides.
If our system were more decisive about how to treat the guilty perhaps that in itself would be enough deterrent to cut down on crime.
Sorta'a like your pirate solution you described. ;~)

Overzealous DA's with political ambitions are part of the problem. Those cut-throat bastards are the reason why sometimes innocent people get railroaded into long sentences and even death. If a crime has been committed which deserves the death penalty, you should have two eyewitnesses, and one of them has to perform the execution. That might be a bit 'old testament' but suggest a better way. The reason all those legal/appeal barriers, which increase costs, exist, is that we allowed our friends in the legal professions to create an income opportunity for themselves... you just can't trust most of those who are trained to circumvent the truth.
As long as 'Tough On Crime/ Death Penalty' is a component of an election formula, odds increase that innocent people are going to be executed. Now if *I* were to witness a murder and I knew another witness saw it and confirmed what I saw, I would execute the perp.... if for no other reason than to make sure no scumbag lawyer would be driving an expensive car from the proceeds of a sham appeals process.... paid for by the overburdened tax-payers.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 05:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Crazy, isn't it?

Bullet, sword, pinch of poison, etc.

Agreed. Mandatory appeals are a travesty in themselves. Even if that asshole has confessed and there is a video tape of him doing the killings, the law demands an appeal. FTS!

When you consider all the people the bad guys are going to kill, inside prison or out, losing a couple innocents (as horribly distasteful as it is) is still a winning proposition, though not for these particular innocents.
I kinda liked the scenario in Escape from New York. Put up a wall, dump in the hardened criminals, and then just forget 'em.

That's a position many of us could agree with, and we'd sleep comfortably at night.
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales
On 3/29/2011 7:49 AM, Robatoy wrote:

What he said ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

No Kidding, well said
Mike M

Why use a bullet? A hangman's noose can be reused many times.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:09:55 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Bbbut, isn't the cruel and unusual punishment?
I love the "suicide watch" on Death Row, too.
Oh, the Muckin' Forons.
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

I heard George Carlin once question the procedure of the lethal injection. Why do they wipe the injection spot with an alcohol swab?

Why use a bullet? A hangman's noose can be reused many times.
You could use the gun in a court room and it would be easily concealed until needed. The rope would take a few seconds longer, why waste time? '~)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How would you feel about a more efficiently applied death sentence?
When I was in China 25+ years ago, a Chinese court sentenced a fellow to death. Twenty minutes later, he was (dead).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Actual conversation as reported by the London Gazette:
Condemned man: "Whatcha hangin' me for, gov'nor? Hangin' me won't bring Charlie back!" Lord High Mayor of London: "Oh, we're not hanging you for killing Charlie. We're hanging you so that others won't kill."
In article

Q-ships
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/q_-_ships.htm
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

Might be worth retaking the bounty and returning to rightful owners.

Portable tactical neutron bombs would keep the hardware, mush the software. Problems solved, probably at the cost of a few rounds of artillery.
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Neutron bombs are totally cool weapons, with a few drawbacks. Along the lines of a nuclear hand grenade, one must have one helluvan arm to throw it far enough so it won't mess up yo'own-ass. A neutron bomb shell in artillery form must have a serious range as well. Also, keeping those bombs fresh is difficult as their content's half- life is about a decade.

Dumping neutron bombs always seemed like a stupid decision to me. Mostly all you want to do is get rid of the people who are attacking you.