O/T: One Down

Page 3 of 14
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You could string them around your neck, like library matrons.
A better solution might be contacts. I wear ONE contact (+2.5). I can read or work the computer (with one eye) and drive with two eyes. The single contact doesn't interfere with distance depth perception, although depth perception up close does suffer slightly.
I use AccuVue continuous wear lenses. Six cost about ~$30 at Sam's or Costco and each one lasts about a month. It therefore costs about $60/year not to have to fuss with glasses.
I guess you could experiment by breaking out one of the lenses on your existing glasses and wearing the result for a few hours to get used to the difference.
HeyBub wrote:

I agree that if you can wear contacts they're the way to go. For some reason though I have a reaction to them--I can wear them for a couple of weeks then something changes in my eyelids and they start sticking like crazy, and that's so even for single-use disposables so it's not my cleaning.

I knew that someone on here must have the same problem.

I guess it depends on how you use them. I've been wearing plastic for years and the light weight makes quite a difference with my prescription. I get the high index too.
The problem with Two Pairs is the distance. About a 150 mile drive each way so that add quite a bit to the cost. Two trips needed. My requirements don't fit the "in about an hour" deal some places have.
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:43:25 -0800, the infamous "CW"

Do you work over a forge, grind metal in enclosed spaces, or do you just weld without a mask? ;)
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------

Machine shop. Grinding is one place where plastic lenses are superior. If sparks from a grinder hit plastic lenses, it just bounces off. With glass, when a spark hits the lens, it causes a, for lack of a better word, bump. This bump is glass and cannot be removed. Guess how I know.
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 22:45:44 -0800, the infamous "CW"

I thought sparks pitted glass and melted plastic. BUT, why aren't you wearing goggles or a face shield when doing this kind of op?
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:53:15 -0800, the infamous "CW"

A closer look at Zenni showed that they use mainly polycarbonate. I don't like it because it has more distortion than other plastics. But if you want real distortion, try a pair of progressive lenses. OMG! 80% of them isn't even prescription lens, and the transitions left me dizzy and sick to my stomach. I forced my opto's office managerette to put me into bifocals and a pair of single vision readers. She wouldn't even let me pay the extra for going bifocal for the readers, so I never went back to that office again. I was mad as hell about the whole thing. Varilux SUCKS!
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------

Matter of opinion. I hesitated with my first pair of bifocals and then next time around tried the progressive lenses. I'd never go back to standard now. Varilux ROCKS I'm on my fourth pair in about 12 years.

I'm still resisting going to bifocals. Did it take you long to get used to using them?
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

My first pair of glasses were progressive bifocals, about 10 years ago. They took about a week to get used to, on my third pair now, newer prescriptions each take a bit of time to get used to, but not that bad. I never had *normal* glasses before that.
My prescription is mainly for close up work though, with just a very minor distance correction, so your mileage may vary.
--
Froz...

Depends on the person.
My dad had a tough time, myself, not so much.
BTW, the length of your arms will have a dramatic impact on your decision to accept bifocals.
Lew
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:28:16 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Ok, you're going to have to explain that one to me.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Finding the proper focus point for reading various sizes of type, or doing really fine close up work.
I'm 6'5" so arm length isn't an issue.
--
Froz...

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:50:02 -0500, FrozenNorth

Understand, but doesn't it bring up another issue? Considering the length of your arms, isn't there all sorts of distances you'll be doing stuff where you won't be able to focus minutely? Obviously, you want to work at an arm length that's generally most comfortable. *That's* probably the length you'll want to predetermine and then get glasses to accommodate.
When you can no longer hold the paper far enough from your face to read it, you get bifocals, then ultimately trifocals.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Don't really need reading glasses, and can see to drive during the daytime without glasses, but the dimmer the light, the more nearsighted I become.
Have a pair of trifocals that were relegated to the shop for a long time. After breaking my old single vision glasses about 18 months, switched to the trifocals and have been wearing them exclusively.
I can finally say that I've gotten used to them ... except for watching TV anyway but sitting upright in a straight backed chair.
:(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The more nearsighted you become, the further away you have to hold something to be able to see it.

You have that backwards. The reason old folks get reading glasses is because they become more FAR sighted.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in

They also become more hind-sighted as they get older.
Puckdropper