O/T: One Down

Page 12 of 14

If you seriously want to, then I hope you succeed In fairness, I should relate some of the other side of the coin.
Both mining and construction have been very good to me over the years, the former driving the latter. Therein lies the problem. Mining is the main driving force behind our strong economy. (Basically, Australia is a great big quarry.) Whilst mining is booming, the construction industry follows suit and the effect flows right through our economy. It is also our Achilles heel. China has become our most important customer for iron ore, the big money earner. As a result we are largely dependant on the Chinese demand for our raw materials for our continued growth. A slowing down of demand will have dramatic effects on our economy. Not least because we have little to replace it with. Manufacturing here struggles because of our tiny population and consequent small labour pool. Who is going to want to work in a mundane city environment earning minimum wages when the mining and construction industries are offering three times the money? If China sneezes, Australia is going to catch a really bad cold. Then we are really only left with agriculture for any large scale export earnings.
Secondly, it can be a very tough environment to be in mentally. Newcomers to the industry can very often find it difficult to assimilate. Aussies are by nature fairly open gregarious people. When we go mining, there seems to be a transformation. There are some very aggressive people in mining. Perhaps because it is a pressure driven environment, it attracts a disproportionate number of aggressive, competitive types. (Of which I'm probably one.)
Thirdly, there is no job security whatsoever. If a mine has to close, because of falling prices or the ore-body is exhausted, then everyone loses their jobs. This happens more frequently with gold and nickel mines, which results in a flood of experienced miners looking for work at the iron ore mines. A precarious existance, at times.
I like it because I'm a risk taker. In spite of several of the mines I have worked on over the years closing down, I've always been lucky enough to find work. Not so for everyone.
diggerop

Heh. Yes, it's been really good. Ironic too, when many plant operators earn more than the engineers, surveyors and geologists that control the pits. It's all about supply and demand. Huge demand for materials (think China) huge resources in the ground and a seemingly perpetual shortage of skilled operators to fill that demand.
Those figures are the best of it, it's fair to say, but almost anyone working as an operator in mining over here would get no less than $110,000 per year. Some rosters are not as good at some sites, two on and one off is more common.
Those of us that have been doing it for many years and can produce, get offered top dollar. After I stopped contracting in my own right, I went back to machine operating. My sig comes from that more recent period. The top operating job is as a production excavator operator. In mining over here, we call them diggers. Therefore, I was a "diggeroperator," which the crew traditionally shorten to "diggerop."
It's not all beer and skittles. Production digger operators in high production outfits generally only stop for a break once in a 12 hour shift, while the machine is being fuelled. Responsibility is huge. Pressure to perform is unrelenting. Competition between operators to be the "top gun" is never ending. (That's the fun part.)
The job involves sitting on a a piece of machinery that is the most technologically advanced available at the time, weighing anywhere from 120 tonnes to 4 or 500 tons in big mines. They cost several million dollars each for the small ones and truly obscene amounts for the big machines. It operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Always. Christmas day included. Breakdowns, servicing, accidents or pit closures due to bad weather are the only exceptions. For as much of that shift as possible, that machine must keep loading at the maximum rate it is capable of. Iron ore is the easiest to produce from, but even that involves knowing exactly what is ore, what grade of ore and where to send the truck once it is loaded. Waste, the material that is not suitable for processing, is sent to a separate location. Getting them mixed up, even for a short period can cost thousands or even millions. (Waste mistakenly sent to the ore dumps can contaminate the ore enough that the whole stockpile has to be condemned and removed. That could result in the loss of several thousand tons of high grade ore.) Digging gold ore is even more critical.
Damage to the machine or the truck being loaded is also the operator's responsibility. A moments inattention can result in huge losses. (With the cost of these things, not many mines have a spare machine available.) High production is achieved by digging in exactly the right spot, filling the bucket to maximum capacity (20 to 80 tons of ore) and then lifting and swinging the bucket over the back of the truck waiting to be loaded, just missing the side of the truck by a few inches, as hard and fast as that machine will perform. For 12 hours. Nonstop. Misjudge that and production is lost, or more seriously, the truck will be hit, resulting in damage, possible serious injury to the truck operator and an inevitable accident investigation. I equate it to a tennis player serving aces continuously for 12 hours, not once being allowed to hit the net. It requires that level of concentration.
When I get my little health problem sorted, I'll go back to it if I can : )
diggerop
Greg G. wrote:

If you mean the teacher's union and not the Federal arts supporter, they've been suspect forever. I remember when I was a kid, the day before they went on strike, my algebra teacher told the class "we're striking to improve education, not for more money".

I've done myself out of a couple of good paying jobs with good benefits that way. Also missed out on a couple of good women.

J. Clarke said:

I have acquaintances who are teachers and a good friend who is a professor of microbiology so I've not put them in the same class as the cock worker's union.

< Big Sigh > Ditto. But at least I still have my finger to keep me warm.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Ask your friends what they think of the union. Personally the only thing they ever did for me was negotiate a pay cut.

Tim Daneliuk said:

More like a dead one. Since I'm not FDR it's not really my business. ;-)
Greg G.
Tim Daneliuk said:

I can empathize with that, for sure. Hope things get better.

Cool - and an interesting pipe collection. My Dad and several relatives smoked a pipe - I can still remember the colorful aromas and the fancy woods used in their construction.

Cool isn't all it's cracked up to be. I hang with a pretty introspective lot, the "cool kids" are usually grating.
Greg G.

He's also an outright liar. On several occasions he's called me evil and a thief solely on the basis of my receiving medical support in the Canadian medical system.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Try to argue fairly and truthfully. What you said above is utterly false. I said it was immoral and thieving to *continue to support such a system actively and not oppose it*. I made it very clear that - since you had to pay into it - there is nothing wrong in receiving benefits from it. BTW, lying *is* wrong ...
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:13:08 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

Along the way you amended your description and only when you were called on it. Shall I post some examples of your direct attacks?
On second thought, forget that. Your standard practice of not directly answering to examples of proof and changing the course of the subject is well known. You are a liar (a clever one admittedly) and a bullshit master on par with the best. That I'll admit.
I ask you again. You don't discuss woodworking so what are you doing here? Post as many images as you want. Even on the slight chance that they are yours and you're no longer capable of doing woodworking, every image you post fails to explain why you can't type about woodworking. No one is asking you to build anything. You're being asked to participate in the charter of this group by TYPING about it.
Now, you can type your misdirecting message and FAIL AGAIN to answer the question.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Please show me an example where I told you that taking what you'd already been forced to pay for was wrong.

Because I am not doing any ATM.

What question was that.
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:10:08 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

(Here with the redirection game.)
The questions is: Why do you not type about woodworking? You type about politics. You've claimed to have woodworking experience.
I'll ask it again. Why do you not type about woodworking?
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Work to date: http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworking /
Nothing new to report.
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:41:17 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

Dodgy reply. No one can actually confirm those are pictures of your projects. Try actually talking about them and demonstrating some knowledge.
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:53:49 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

I'd say "Bullshit" and you want to know why? If you've built all those things, (and I use the word "if" with serious doubt") then you'd have plenty of knowledge to share and tips to offer. Whatever affliction you have or might have or imagine you have is irrelevant. You can obviously type and shit disturb every political conversation known to man, so why can't you type about woodworking?
As usual and par for the course, you manipulate your answer into something else. You never answer a question directly, but instead redirect it into something almost the same, but essentially a different direction.

This media is just a platform for him to start politically related arguments and inflame discussion as time goes on. He has no practical involvement in political affairs other than discussion and doesn't seem to have anything to do with politics at all, other than whining and criticizing incessantly about the state of affairs. Hell, the last election he didn't bother to vote for *anybody*. Basically, Tim is a shit disturber par excellence when it comes to discussing politics. That appears to be his sole function and purpose.

Shunning works.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

No it doesn't.
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:14:31 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

Obviously. You're still here and too caught up in you're own devices to leave. The only reason I don't take the advice to shun your rhetoric is that you infect, misdirect and aggravate people. I'm here to tap you on the should and let you know you're not going to get away with it carte blanche.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Please show me one OT thread I have started.

Utterly false. I vote in all major and most minor elections.