O/T: One Down

Page 2 of 14

Then I leave it to you to explain to my boss that I have to go wash my glasses every five to ten minutes.

Spritzer bottle of water and micro fibre rag in top right hand drawer?
Admit it. You're sneaking off to meet that hot new secretary that just got hired. And of course that would explain why you're glasses are always steamed up and need cleaning.
CW wrote:

If you're getting that much crud on them that fast then I suspect that you should be using some type of protective equipment.
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:11:34 -0800, the infamous "CW"

I've been cleaning my plastic-lensed eyeglasses with my t-shirt every hour for 40 years now and I've never had much scratching. After 2 years, it's visible when you look for it, but not when you look through them. Occasional buffing with RainX helps. I haven't tried the swirl remover Maguire puts out, but I'll bet it'd work, too. Give it a try.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:54:24 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

I've been breathing on mine and wiping them with a Kleenex for about the same number of years. If I don't get the scratch resistant coating they do scratch, but still last for 2-4 years. If I do get the coating, the frames usually wear out before the lenses.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

You obviously don't use the aloe-impregnated Kleenex (much easier on the nose when you've got a cold, for cleaning glasses, not so much) ;-)

Rob Leatham
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:37:40 -0600, Larry Blanchard

These days, you would have a hard time trying to get plastic eyeglass lenses that don't have scratch coating. It's pretty much standard.

Yea, standard if you ask for it. Every place I've seen around here it's an added cost option.

Nope. If someone is charging you extra for scratch coating, walk out and go elsewhere. I have news for you. If you don't order that extra cost option, the lenses will still have it. The thing to avoid is the optional anti-glare coating. That is an extra cost option, which they put on OVER the scratch coating, and it's not scratch resistant.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

on my glasses I find I no longer need to have sun glasses, or those silly clipon things.
--
Froz...

Over the past 2 months, I had both cataracts replaced with the inserted lens'. The ones I got are called Restore, and like most nowadays, have a built-in UV coating to stop ultraviolet light. What's cooler is that they are also a yellow color and block a lot of the blue light as well, like the natural lens. The result is that I have built-in sunglasses. Of course, there's always a downside, and the lens' don't let in as much light as one without the blue blocker, but it is supposed to also help prevent macular degeneration.
Now, if they only could act as safety glasses in the shop. <sigh> FWIW, I wore glass glasses since second grade, and that was a LONG time ago. During my teen years, I was drilling a pilot hole for a screw with a 1/8" bit. The bit broke and I suddenly had a line across my glasses. The bit had hit exactly in the center, breaking the lens. I can't imagine what it'd have done to my eye. Years later: over 40 years to be exact, I was preparing to drill a 1/8" hole in some angle iron on my drill press. Years earlier, I'd given up the glasses for contact lenses, and then after LASIK surgery, had done away with corrective lenses entirely. I always remembered the incident as a teen, though I'd become very lax in wearing safety glasses for most actions. In this case, I stopped what I was doing and got my safety glasses out of the tool box. They were almost crusted with dust, so I went to the shop sink and washed them off.
When I started drilling, I pressed too hard and the drill bit shattered. As you may have guessed, there was a smack on my safety glasses and a divot appeared right in the center of where my pupil was (safely) behind the safety glasses.
--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
Nonny wrote:

My optometrist was telling me that the inserted lenses negate the need for glasses (at least for a while). He advised me against lasik since I tolerate my contacts well and there was no reason to take the risk if I'm satisfied with them.
... snip

Rob Leatham

The AR coating makes a difference for vision at times. No reflections and better night vision when driving. I'm willing to pay for the benefits, at least for my prescription.

Maybe, but then no more shirt sleeve cleaning and a cleaning only by approved methods. That pair of glasses of mine that formed a slightly haze vision after several months, had the AR coating. Next pair didn't and lasted to this day. That was the only difference.
On Nov 11, 3:02am, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

My grandmother at age 87, didn't need glasses. . . . . . . . . . The old bag drank right out of the bottle. . . . . . . . . . I'll be here all week Try the veal Don't forget to tip your waitress.
CW wrote:

The Chinese include it in their 8 buck glasses.

That glasses I most recently bought had and extra scratch coating. (at a cost) Naturally, I selected it with the instructions that I wanted the most scratch coating available.
When a pair of four month old plastic lensed glasses looked like they've had some 240 grit sandpaper applied to them producing a constant vague fog, then it's time to look for additional protection.
CW wrote:

You mean you get 6 hours?
You're better than me.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Geez, what do you folks do to the poor things? My polycarbonate Wileys have lasted me three years now on a motorcycle.

Maybe you're a better rider.
My around-the-house pair is scratched because I keep dropping them. My work pair is pretty good because they generally stay on my nose.