O/T: OLd Farts

Page 1 of 4
Old but still funny. +++++++++++++++++++++
Don't mess with the older generation!!
HOW TO CALL THE POLICE WHEN YOU'RE OLD AND DON'T MOVE FAST ANYMORE.
George Phillips of Meridian, Mississippi was going up to bed when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window.
George opened the back door to go turn off the light but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.
He phoned the police, who asked 'Is someone in your house?' and he said 'no'. Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be along when available.
George said, 'Okay,' hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again.
'Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed
Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I've just shot them.' Then he hung up.
Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response Unit, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence and caught the burglars red-handed.
One of the Policemen said to George: 'I thought you said that you'd shot them!'
George said, 'I thought you said there was nobody available!'
(True Story) I LOVE IT - Don't mess with old people!!

And still not true, Snopes.com is real useful when checking out these urban myths.

I presumed it was a joke.

It was widely circulated as fact, some versions even naming the newspaper where it supposedly originally appeared.
It's at the point where I'm beginning to suspect not everything one reads on the internet is true, shocking, but it sure looks that way. ;^)
DGDevin said:

Tis what happens when the Internet ceases to be the domain of academics and engineers and turns into a tool of commerce for idiots.
Greg G.
I hate seeing AlGore's invention getting abused this way.
Glen
--
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes
and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's
Glen said:

Minorly amusing. Except that Al Gore never actually made that claim. Just another media-created load of BS.
Greg G.
"Greg G." wrote

Personally, I love seeing Al Gore's creation getting abused this way.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Swingman said:

:-)
Better watch it, another dose of the Christmas 2005 rant is brewing.
Greg G.
AL GORE CLAIMS TO BE "THE CREATOR"!
GORE EMBRACES CREATIONISM!
"THE DECIDER" VS "THE CREATOR" - REMATCH!
"I DID NOT HAVE @#$% WITH THAT INTERNET", SAYS AL GORE!
INVENTOR OF ALGORITHM DISOWNS NAMESAKE!
(be careful with what you say, 'cause nobody else will be...)

Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Greg G. said:

And before I am accosted by either right-wing or left-wing hyperbole, look here: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
I am living in a nation of media polarized, out of context five second sound bite consuming, non-analytical minded, bandwagon jumping sheep.
Beam me up, Scotty...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

...and http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/create
to create (third-person singular simple present creates, present participle creating, simple past created, past participle created)
1. to make 2. to manufacture 3. to put into existence

Doug Winterburn said:

Well, Doug, in your zealous frenzy to further promote pointless, polarized animosity, you obviously didn't read the article or hear the original statement in context. As well, most of the infrastructure of what is know as the "Internet" was already in place as ARPANET/DARPANET - which clearly precludes Gore having "invented" the Internet from scratch. I witnessed its existence while providing computer services to the military in the mid-late 80s. I also think he was fully aware of this at the time of the interview.
Even then, Gore was instrumental in "putting into existence" the Internet _as we currently know it_ from its origins as ARPANET, so I conclude that even taken verbatim, his statement is not completely erroneous. Either way, it is a niggling nit to pick.
Intelligence is what allows one to extrapolate genuine intent to deceive from clumsy wording - not looking up words in an Internet encyclopedia that you can thank Al Gore and others for helping to bring into your home so that you may childishly argue politically motivated linguistic semantics.
See below:

Fits well, don't you think?
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Dear Greg,
I argued nothing. In fact, I was trying to point out that the meaning of Al's words didn't mean "invented". You seem to be the one going off the deep end.
Doug Winterburn said:

Sorry about that, Doug. See how easy it is to be misunderstood, even in print? :-o I have to admit to have been watching Norm, so I didn't scrutinize as carefully as I should have. It appeared that you were arguing the use of the word "created" as being tantamount to the same thing. My bad! Perhaps I'm just used to being jumped on by counter arguments, seldom does anyone agree on anything.
Namaste,
Greg G.
thanks. at the risk of dating myself, I was involved with an early incarnation of the internet in the late 60's early 70's. I think around that time there were several versions, BITNET ( memory's dim but I think this came a bit later and was the genesis of USENET), APRANET, DARAPNET, etc.
I don't know how old Al Gore is, but suspect he was still in diapers around then.

Greg G. wrote:

Better check Snopes - I don't think Scotty's real either.

If you read the actual quote, the word "created" was used by him. Sloppy (or cunning) use on his part. Red what he said and see how it can easily be interpreted as such http://www.snopes.com:80/quotes/internet.asp
Edwin Pawlowski said:

I heard and have read the text of the interview. As I pointed out above, and when considering the massive amounts of BS modern political players spew from both sides of the fence, a minor obfuscation even when taken at its worst.
Still far less damaging than, oh, say, Iraq has WMD's and mushroom clouds will be seen over a major American city. Or Ohio's coingate scandal, or "I am not Gay", or ...
I hate to point this out, but they are mostly all lying idiots. Some are just wose than others.
Greg G.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, that along with his having "discovered" Love Canal, and he and Tipper being the inspiration for "Love Story" were all about conflating his somewhat minimal achievements as a US senator into being worthy of the office of president.
Of course he has grown beyond that now and is working to fight the Earth's "fever". Anybody have any ideas where he intends to stick the thermometer?