O/T: Nuclear Reactor Problems

Page 10 of 16

I read this somewhere. Remember, the plane was buffeted by really bad weather, the instruments gave conflicting readings, probably was near pitch black. There was somewhere a preliminary reading of the black boxes that were finally recovered. A miracle in itselfthat they were found, in the middle of the ocean, no reliable position known until just about then.
--
Best regards
Han

Yeah, if they were in the middle of a thunderhead, I guess their bodies wouldh't have the opportunity to stabilize long enough to discern which was was up.

I _guess_!
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
The black boxes have locating beacon transmitters in them and are designed to be found easily.
------------
"Han" wrote in message I read this somewhere. Remember, the plane was buffeted by really bad weather, the instruments gave conflicting readings, probably was near pitch black. There was somewhere a preliminary reading of the black boxes that were finally recovered. A miracle in itselfthat they were found, in the middle of the ocean, no reliable position known until just about then.
--
Best regards
Han

Yes, but the ocean is big, real big, and I'm pretty sure that a) the range of the transmitter has limits, and b) the powersource is finite. When they did find the boxes they were a bit surprised they still were transmitting after how long, a year??
--
Best regards
Han

Oops, 2 years after the crash. see here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447>
--
Best regards
Han
------- "Han" wrote in message Oops, 2 years after the crash. see here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447>
--
Best regards
Han
"Han" wrote:

--------------------------------- Does that include the long term (25 years) effects of both coal as well as nukes?
BTW, helps to make the case to wean ourselves from fossil fuels as quickly as possible.
Lew

They're still calling them fossil fuels? Dude, they found crude and tars on Titan! Heavy hydrocarbons do NOT have to be from a plant-like origin. Methanes and its derivatives do NOT have to be plant/shit/flesh based.
On 8/10/2011 6:02 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

And replace them with what, Lew? Horses?
There is nothing in the wings that has near the power and portability as gasoline. I would add that our problem is that we are 50 years late deciding to make internal combustion effecent and clean. But we didn't have the computer technology back then to do it.

Reminds me why the automobile was hailed as the solution to horse manure pollution in (at least) New York City.

Apart from nuclear, there is water, wind, solar and more renewable sources. Battery technology is now so far along that even tugboats are equipped and are saving (in hybrid mode) 40-60% of their diesel consumption. I'm not that sanguine about the "greenness" of manufacturing high yield batteries, but that should also improve with demand. For now, I think the only transportation that would be difficult to replace is jet planes.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Batteries are not "fuel sources," they are "fuel storage devices." Just like the gas tank on an automobile.
"Alternative energy sources" can do no more than nibble at the margins. All those you mention make up less than 5% of our energy needs.
Of course if we poured billions upon billions into research and development, we might be able to increase that to 10%.

Right, but they are a necessity for electric automobile propulsion, don't you think?

Not so clear to me. It will take time and money to get alternative energy sources more integrated, but it may not be as expensive as you think, and neither as far away

Refurbishing current energy plants and building new ones does take money, but it should be well-spent, not at the whim of big oil, etc.
--
Best regards
Han
Somebody wrote:

California is all ready approaching 20% of it's electrical energy requirements from renewable sources and is expecting to reach 35% within 10 years.
What is so funny about that is that today Texas produces more wind power than California.
More research is needed, but we are gaining on it.
Lew

I can think of a reason for that. <g, d&r>

Don't hold back, Rob!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/11/2011 12:47 PM, Han wrote:

Do not poke Rob with that stick!

ROTF
The following is an interview with Mark Ruffalo that appeared in the Huffington post today.
As they say, "If the foo s__ts, wear it,"
Lew
---------------------------------------
Mark Ruffalo Speaks Out For Tar Sands Action
Activist and actor Mark Ruffalo has joined the fight against the Keystone XL pipeline, a pipeline from the tar sands in Canada to refineries on the Gulf of Mexico.
In the video, Ruffalo says, Ive seen the kind of damage that out-of-control energy development can do to water and to communities near my own home, where fracking for natural gas is causing widespread pollution ... All these problems are connected we need to get off fossil fuels.
In a past interview with The Huffington Post, he said, "Either we're going to go with some grace into green energy, or we're gonna go kicking and screaming, but we're going by God. The world is already leaving us behind. We're being left behind. America. Because the gas and oil industry has a strangle hold on us. And our politicians."
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

If you read the fine print you find that the electric drive had more to do with the savings than did the batteries. And vessels with electric drive are nothing new--the Navy built its first electric drive battleship in 1918 and had electric drive carriers in service at the start of WWII.
However they were not battery electric, they were steam-electric.
The big downsides have always been weight and cost.
On 8/11/2011 7:11 AM, Han wrote:

So when you mention battery technology being so far along, do you consider the down side that it is a nasty business to be disposing of the spent batteries? Typically the battery cars life cycle from beginning to end today use more energy and pollute more during the manufacturing, consumer operation, and disposal process than the Hummer.
The electrics look good if you only consider the consumer benefit. They are not any better for the environment during manufacture and disposal.
I'm not that sanguine about the "greenness" of