O/T: Nuclear Reactor Problems

Page 9 of 16
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

---------------------------- The days of the nuclear industry's "Feet up, pat 'em on the po po" approach to dealing with the public are over.
The industry has had 40+ years to develop a reliable and safe waste stream processing method and they are still at square one.
Until the industry gets serious about solving this problem on a world wide basis, there will be no new nukes built, at least if I can help stop them.
There are just too many other alternate renewable energy possibilities waiting to be developed including, but not limited to the next generation of batteries and photo cells..
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:32:37 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Thanks to liberals and other unfounded fear mongers.
Way to go, guys!

So, what do you use to charge up those batteries on windless, cloudy days, hmm? What are the comparative costs, downsides, efficiencies?
http://goo.gl/oqvr7 shutting down wind farms?
--
Just getting back after a farkin' virus ate my computer.
I'm still without any email or usenet archives. <sigh>

And the solar farms, too...
<http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/07/05/solar-showdown-weeds-vs-silicon/
Dead technology...
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 8, 10:46 am, Dave Balderstone

I do think, however, that solar is usable on small-scale installations, but as a major feed to the grid, not so much. Wind? Same thing. Peak loads occur at 7 PM and 7 AM (give-or-take) just when wind is low(er).
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 8, 10:46 am, Dave Balderstone

I followed a few links from that site you posted and I hadn't thought about the vulnerability of such installations. One AK47 and 20 clips of ammo, there goes a big chunk of a farm. One bullet per panel.
Add pictures here
✖

...and all hail breaks loose.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 11:32:43 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Most utilities are vulnerable to terrorism. It's a sad fact of life.
-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Add pictures here
✖
Lew Hodgett wrote:

There are MANY solutions to nuclear waste. None have been adopted because we don't NEED to adopt them. The longer we wait before deciding on which solution is best, the better the chance that an even better solution will be found.

Batteries are NOT an energy solution. Batteries STORE energy, they don't create it. The energy they store has to come from somewhere, presumably nuclear power plants.
Photocells won't work for large scale deployment either. The earth receives about 1300 watts / sq meter of sun energy. At the equator. At noon. With no clouds.
Assuming 50% conversion factor and adjusting for latitude, clouds, 12 hours of darkness, and other limitations, it would take a solar collector farm the size of the Los Angeles basin (1200 sq miles) to provide the 50GW of power used by California.
Consider the cost to manufacture, install, and maintain 1200 square miles of solar collectors. You would NEVER recoup the investment.
Don't get me wrong - alternative, renewable, energy sources have their place, but they'll never do more than nibble at the margins and are almost never cost-effective.
Add pictures here
✖
Germany does the deed.
http://tinyurl.com/3do64xf
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/30/2011 5:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Politics, not science.
Had to laugh at the commentors. This quote says it all:
"Say I wanted broil a steak, which I don't eat because its meat and causes climate change ..."
... nuff said.
Makes one hope they won't live to see the bill for stupidity come due.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

Obviously.
Politics is the vehicle of change.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/30/2011 7:14 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Politics is why your state is in the state its in ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/1/2011 6:09 AM, Swingman wrote:

But if you live in California, that is a good thing. Right? ;~)
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/1/2011 8:03 AM, Leon wrote:

ONLY ... as long as they stay/keep it in CA!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/1/2011 8:25 AM, Swingman wrote:

And it ooks like some are fed up with it:
http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_D_secede01.411b87a9f.html
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Wonder why this doesn't come as any surprise?
http://tinyurl.com/64bgvt8
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Oh hell no... "we're safe - we have a great safety record..."
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Remember the Air France plane that disappeared over the Middle Atlantic some time back? On its way from Brazil, it ran into bad weather. The pilots were not too experienced/trained, and didn't read the malfunctioning pitot tube(s) speed indicators with enough suspicion. Those pitot tubes were KNOWN to be prone to icing up. As a result, they pointed the nose up, not down, and stalled the plane into the ocean. A clear example of a known defect, that normally doesn't result in really bad things, but, obviously, here it did. The same with nukes. There are a number of known bad things in design of the totality of some of the plants and nobody does anything until it is too late. Certainly with Chernobyl and Fukushima (sp?). That does NOT mean nukes are inherently bad, just that some things with some nukes are bad, and should be fixed.
As has been pointed out before, more coal workers have died per year than all the people who have died from nuke accidents.
--
Best regards
Han

OHMIGOD! Poor Lew. His aluminum hat has evidently fallen off again.

A 35,000' drop is an awful lot for a stall without any recovery. I have to question that conclusion. Got a cite for it? If nothing else, even a fairly newly licensed pilot would have a better feel for pitch attitude than that would indicate.

Absolutely, dear sir.

Cars, coal, stairs, pools. The list is quite large.
-- We are always the same age inside. -- Gertrude Stein
Add pictures here
✖