O/T: Nuclear Reactor Problems

Page 6 of 16

Not really. Along the way they're boosting their own economies and getting an edge on us with alternate/renewable energy. BTW, the Chinese are doing a massive amount of said work themselves while they spew more carbon per capita - and with a hell of a lot of capitas. The US is pretty much behind the eight ball on all of this.

"dpb" wrote:

---------------------------- You're hung up on wind being unreliable.
There is more than one form of renewable energy.
Lew
On 6/3/2011 8:57 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

_ALL_ of which suffer the problem. The sun still goes down at night and isn't always out even during the day.
And, one still has to have the reliable sources whether you can build enough diversity in the others or not, the more of those you build the even higher level of additional capital burden you create for the privilege.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Right. Wind, hydro, tidal, geothermal, nuclear, etc.
Name ONE as versatile, economical, or available as petroleum. By every objective standard, there is no current substitute for oil. Nor does anyone claim there will be in the foreseeable future.

Now THAT is some foreward thinking there Francis. How typical for a republican.
Robatoy wrote:

Thanks. You're right. My concise statement would serve admirably as an introduction (foreward) to a book. Added to the other "C"s (Clear, Cogent, Convincing), it should be a best seller!
My previous two books did not, frankly, take the market by storm. I still have some copies I'd be willing to let go on the cheap.
* Toilet Tissue Origami - The Ultimate Book for the John, and * The New Testament in Morse Code - The Translation for the Scholar Who Has Every Other Translation
Let me know.
P.S. I'm currently working on "Collecting Locomotives for Fun & Profit." It's going slowly.
On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:32:34 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Truth!
-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Looks like the Germans are going back to coal. No doubt they'll come up with some overengineerd baroque monstrosity intended to be "clean".

"J. Clarke" wrote:

--------------------------------- Probably be a good idea to have your eyes checked along with learning how to understand what you think you read. ---------------------------------
"The plan calls for more investment in natural gas plants as a backup to prevent blackouts, the chancellor said."
Lew
"dpb" wrote:

As far as nuclear power is concerned, except for the navy, nuclear power is a dead issue, IMHO.
GE had the smarts to walk away in the early 1970's.
Westinghouse stayed in the nuclear business for a while.
Where are they today?
The industry has had almost 50 years to reliably solve it's safety issues and has failed miserably.
The world is quickly becoming fed up with the nuclear industry's bull shit.
It's time to move on.
Lew

The oil industry has had 100 years and actually has failed miserably. Coal has had at least 200 and as for safety, really needs no comment. Nuclear power has had an extremely safe history, relative to fossil fuel, with far fewer deaths, illness, and environmental impact. Think of all the people who would be healthier or alive today, and the land and enviromment that would not have been ruined for future generations, if the USA produced electricity from nuclear power in the same proportion that, say, France does.

"Larry W" wrote:

------------------------------------ You help to make the case for renewable energy sources.
Lew
On 5/31/2011 9:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

That's news to them and Hitachi, I'm sure...

Indeed they did...

Same place they've always been, Westinghouse Energy Center, Monroeville, PA (amongst a zillion other facilities worldwide)

And we are.
At present there are 20 applications for 24 units submitted and docketed for licensing before the US NRC.
Of these 6 are GE/Hitachi ABWR or ESBWR, 12 are W AP1000 and the remaining 6 are Areva EPR designs.
B&W has just recently formed a new NPGD headquartered in Charlotte, NC
"dpb" wrote:

----------------------------- GE got out of the new reactor business in the 1970s, while I was employed by them; however, they remain active in the renewal parts business to support the units they had sold. ----------------------------------

-------------------------- Is there anything else remaining of "Circle W" as a business after the nuke business? ------------------------------------

---------------------------------- They will never get off the ground.
Lew
On 6/2/2011 12:54 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

The plan isn't to build airplanes... :)
On 6/2/2011 12:54 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Well, the market went away for a while but they've licensed technology to Hitachi and are majority owner of GE/Hitachi and are selling building and operating ABWR/ESBWR.
Evolved to conditions but didn't actually get out of the business.

The pieces are mostly active but CBS dismantled the W company while they owned it by selling various business units off. Nothing that had anything to do w/ anything except the corporate mentality of CBS being a communications company having no clue of what to do about actually building anything.
On 5/31/11 10:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Not quite. Alive and well here in Wilmington, NC. Half my neighbors work there, and I have done some work in their fuel rod production as well.
"Jeff Waldyke"wrote:

Lew
Han wrote:

but it's much windier elsewhere in europe than germany. without a european-wide energy producer, they're going to have to buy power from elsewhere. that elsewhere is going to have to use nuclear, so they're just exporting their problem to another country.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2011/06/german-energy
On 6/1/2011 1:02 PM, chaniarts wrote: ...

Hmmm....where have I heard that model before? Oh, California and Colorado come to mind.