O/T: Nuclear Reactor Problems

Page 11 of 16
Battery recycling and reprocessing has started. How efficient it is I do not know.
------------------ "Leon" wrote in message
So when you mention battery technology being so far along, do you consider the down side that it is a nasty business to be disposing of the spent batteries? Typically the battery cars life cycle from beginning to end today use more energy and pollute more during the manufacturing, consumer operation, and disposal process than the Hummer.
The electrics look good if you only consider the consumer benefit. They are not any better for the environment during manufacture and disposal.
Add pictures here
βœ–
http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/tepco-says-it-has-lost-contact-with-143-nuclear-plant-workers
Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said Thursday that it has not been able to locate 143 individuals working to restore the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant since May. The utility said it has no idea if the 143 have been exposed to radiation and to what level.
According to a report from TEPCO given to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, TEPCO hired many of the workers through subcontractors from all over Japan for limited periods and kept no records of their addresses. On any given day, TEPCO said it has had up to 1,000 workers on rotating schedules at the stricken power plant.
Asahi Geino reported in May that subcontractors were hiring day laborers to work at the plant. The daily remuneration was three times that of regular day jobs if within the grounds of the reactor complex, and 1.5 times higher if within the wider area now restricted due to high radioactivity.
While safety measures are in place to keep workers’ daily exposure to radiation within safe levels, claims for compensation due to sickness from overexposure are unlikely to be paid out, the magazine reported.
and....
Japan ignored own radiation forecasts from very beginning....... http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/japan-ignored-own-radiation-forecasts-from-very-beginning
And.....
Gov't to lift some evacuation advisories around nuclear plant..... http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/japan-to-lift-some-nuclear-evacuation-advisories-around-nuclear-plant
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's why I said the below. Reduce, reuse and recycling ... etc.

--
Best regards
Han
On 8/11/2011 6:52 AM, Leon wrote:

Q. What happens when you battery runs down? A. You have to recharge it. Q. Where does the electricity come from to recharge it? A. Mostly from power plants using coal, oil, and gas.
For most practical purposes, electrical energy is fossil fuel energy, just one step removed.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Isn't this an assumption? An ever increasing amount of baseline large scale electricity generation comes from renewables or nuclear. So, maybe it is "only" 20% now, that doesn't mean it can't be 50% or more relatively soon.

True, for now <smile>.
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/15/2011 6:11 AM, Han wrote:

Did you hear about all the rolling blackout warnings this summer?
Add pictures here
βœ–

In any case, all energy is fossil fuel energy. Even solar. The fossil is the primordial hydrogen that the sun is burning at a horrendous rate and in a very wasteful manner.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm sure the treaparty will fix that too ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/15/2011 8:32 AM, Han wrote:

LOL ... you liberal rascal you! :)
One unarguable fact you guys conveniently lose sight of with regard to the the Tea Party:
The "Tea Party" are NOT the ones that got us into this mess.
That is not to say that, given the doubtful opportunity, they won't follow suit.
Remember, and NEVER lose sight that, Dickens' "Little Dorritt", Chapter 10, is the ONLY unalterable rule of government!
Op. cit.
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Noted with delight!!
Just to remind you, I'm fiscally conservative. As just restated in the NY Times, Texas didn't suffer as much as CA & FL from the housing collapse (in part) because of its rather stringent mortgage regulations. Other than that they (of course) had little good to say about Parry ...
--
Best regards
Han

You expect the NYT to say *anything* good about Perry?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I said: "Other than that they (of course) had little good to say about Parry" Why did you think I added "of course"?
But I do agree with the NY Times this time <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

It's still a weak statement (of the obvious).

*SHOCKING*!
Add pictures here
βœ–

If the GOP thinks that they can win with idiots like Perry, they're only making it easy for Obama.
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/17/2011 6:51 AM, Han wrote:

Heh, you just go on thinking that. You might want to Google around on the basic topic of "don't underestimate Rick Perry". One article in particular offers a little food for thought and has gotten a lot of attention:
http://www.texasmonthly.com/2011-08-01/btl.php
Perry didn't jump into this race to lose it. I'm not going to stand here and predict that he'll win, but if you think it will be "easy for Obama" you're fooling yourself. :-)
βœ–

There are many who seriously think they could be president. Why not? You've got to have ego. But, seriously, any good advisor who doesn't have his head where the sun doesn't shine should (hehe) know that positions as Perry has taken will not get you elected. Sure there is a hard-core tea party bunch, but that is loud, not numerous.
As for Obama, if the GOP followers keep chasing their candidates rightward, they won't have a chance.
--
Best regards
Han

The TeaParty is likely to 'Naderize' the outcome; split the right.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm hoping they indeed will <BIG GRIN>
--
Best regards
Han
"Han" wrote:

If you want an argument, change the subject.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
After a tour of the damaged reactor site, it's been announced by the Japanese it may take at least 30 years to clean up the mess.
I'd call that a "Reactor problem".
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–