O/T: Never Thought I'd See It

Page 1 of 3
Never thought I'd see it, bans on smoking.
When I came to California 20 years ago, trying to find a restaurant with a no smoking section was a real challenge.
Today, smoking inside buildings is not permitted, cities like Camarillo have totally banned smoking, smoking on the beaches is banned and now there is discussion to ban smoking on golf courses.
Understand NYC has also banned smoking so both coasts are progressing toward the heartland.
The recent addition of another $0.60+/pack federal tax doesn't hurt either.
Yes, I'm a nicotine addict.
I quit smoking in 1978, but once an addict, always an addict.
Lew
In dropped this bit of wisdom:

I quit a lot of time, my most recent was 1 year ago.
Every time I quit I restarted with stronger nicotine. Matinee to Players to Export A to Dumaurier and finally to Cigars. I even tried Players Navy Cut but they seemed to pass with the 50's.
I still miss my after dinner Cigar.
P D Q

once
Sure, you've got plenty of rights. Smoke all you want, burn your lungs out, it's none of my business. Just don't do it where it bothers me when I'm going about my business.
I admit it, I used to smoke. I quit some thirty years ago. Now, the odour of cigarettes and the smell of nicotine comes close to making me physically sick. I'm not being hypocritical, it's none of my business what you smoke, what you eat or what you do in your life as long as it doesn't have an effect on my life. But when it does, how do you think it should be handled? My going out and eating in a restaurant doesn't affect you at all. You going out and eating in the same restaurant and smoking does affect me. What's your solution?
wrote in message

Common courtesy
Try not to annoy anyone and try not be too easy to annoy.
I was smoking in a field one day talking to some friends. Couple comes over to the group and stands upwind of me to avoid the smoke. They decide to move down wind and I move to keep the smoke out of their area.They move down wind of me again and complain about me smoking upwind of them. Non smokers very often go out of their way to be annoyed.

Whatever it is, you can be sure it will benefit some profitable enterprise and, likewise, the pol that created the legislation.
nb

<
http://assets.comics.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/200000/80000/4000/500/284583/284583.full.gif
I hadda 1 bicycle kills symbol painted on my van, but I only winged him.
nb
[blather]

Don't feed the troll. Ed.
Jack Stein wrote:

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Lew
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:14:54 -0500, Upscale wrote:

It may cost the restaurant some money, but it is possible to have a vent system that would draw the smoke out and keep it from the non-smokers. But even then there are non-smokers that would complain no matter what the situation. When smoking was allowed in restaurant's, there was many times that I seen the non-smoking area filled, so a non-smoker couple would take a place in the smoking area and sit there and complain about the smoke the whole time. When a group of people want something, they will do anything to get what they want, so matter how many lies it takes.
Paul T.
--
The only dumb question, is the one not asked

They had those separated and filtered smoking rooms in Ontario, but they were eventually outlawed and it's now illegal.
Let's face it. Smoking is and has been one of the most costly (lives *and* money) blights in human history. Whether one is a smoker or anti-smoking Nazi, the cost to civilization at large is absolutely enormous. On a guess, I'd wager that smoking has killed more people than all the wars combined and cost more health care money than all the bankruptcies (current and past) combined.
If smoking *only* affected the individuals doing so, then what they smoke would be their business only. But, it's not true and never will be. Society always shoulders the lion's share of the inevitable health care costs that smoker's bring onto themselves.
Upscale wrote:

The same here in Erie County. A number of years ago the county passed a law that all restaurants, bars, etc. must provide a separate area for smokers and non-smokers. The areas had to be completely separated (walled off) from each other. The business owner's scrambled to hire contractors to get their building in compliance with the new law.
About a year later the county changed the law making it illegal to smoke in any of these businesses.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
wrote in message

I'd be willing to wager that obesity is killing/costing as much or more. Do you want the government telling you what you can eat? Closing fast food restaurants?
The government is involved in too many things they don't belong involved in. No matter how hard you try you will NEVER legislate a perfect world...
Larry

Another outlandish rebuttal. People eat to survive. They don't have to smoke. As to amount that people eat, well, that's a discussion for another day.
wrote in message

How it that so outlandish? The discussion was about doing as one pleases unless it affects others. If you're obese society shoulders the burden of your healthcare and therefore affects everyone that pays taxes. They should then be able to tell you to push away from the dinner table and get your fat ass on the treadmill using your logic. Since there are far more obese people than smokers, seems like low hanging fruit to me.
Personally I would prefer the government stay out of my private life entirely contrary to what you believe.
Larry

If the government and order of society was as out of your life entirely as you prefer, you'd most likely be dead a long time ago from someone killing you for the food you were eating.
"Larry" wrote:

Then you best find a deserted island to live on.
As long as you CHOOSE to live in society, government WILL be iinvolved in your life.
Lew

I'm not advocating abolishing government. What part of PRIVATE can you not understand? Maybe you should review the Bill of Rights...
Larry
Larry wrote:

So how do you propose to get from here to a sitaution in which government stays out of your private life completely?

As well, where do you draw the line between private and public? The two are so intertwined that it's all but impossible to separate one completely from the other.

Like most "facts", this one too is subject to some caveats:
1) Incidental exposure (such as passing by a smoker on the street corner, or outside an office building) has absolutely zero adverse health effects on the passerby.
2) Long-term exposure (Stewards/Stewardesses on smoking flights, Waiters/Waitresses, Bartenders, Spouses and Children) does have an deletorious effect (the magnitude of which is subject to some debate).
3) Incidental exposure such as during a meal in a restaurant, likewise has no adverse health effect on the exposee (the wait staff is a different matter).
4) I don't like the smell either, particularly at meals and on airplanes.
5) I've never smoked.
6) That said, I support strongly the smoker's right to choose to start or quit smoking so long has it is in their own home, auto or outdoors.
It's less clear that banning smoking outdoors has any health benefits other than discouraging smoking.
scott