O/T: NBA FInals

Page 2 of 4

Jeez, there's three minutes wasted. Just tape it and watch the good bits, bypassing ref time outs and so on.

On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand. Two dufi, incapable of figuring out that the brim of the cap goes over the eyes, high fiving each other while emitting grunting sounds because some other trained dufus is jerk dancing after carrying a ball over a chalk line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane, disgusting, a waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.
Come to think of it ... Max is right. I'd rather be forced to watch Jerry Springer.
Give me a good honest "sport", like boxing. Yeah, that's the ticket!
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Boxing can be a great sport to watch if there are two closely matched fighters, both with good KO ratios, etc. To see two big heavyweights going toe-to-toe can be spectacular. Or the insane flurries of lighter weight classes. Back in the 70's, I laid out quite a few bucks to go see great fights on closed circuit pay per views. Hell, I even paid to see Foreman fight the 'Toronto Five' live. What a farce that was. (If you don't know what that fight was all about, don't waste your time Googling it, what an embarrassment to the sport.)
Watching hobby league baseball in Kew Beach Toronto with a cold beer on a Sunday afternoon, with random dogs stopping by for a scratch behind their ears, kids with squirt guns, french fry truck, live music in the background... that is 'spectating' at its finest.
Then, as a certified 'Petrol Head', I go check out the Top Fuelers at Grand Bend MotorPlex once a year or so. Something about the smell of burnt fuel and rubber and that unreal noise.......
On 6/9/2011 8:38 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Boxing is the only "sport" I enjoy watching. Dad was a LA GG champ, and I boxed as a kid and into college before it was outlawed as an intercollegiate sport in my freshman year, and being so trained, later for fun and profit in the wilds of Oz. :)

I used to love to watch minor league ball. When stationed in Fort Bliss, TX I went most evenings during the summer to watch the El Paso Sun Kings play.
I detest MLB since it got populated by a buncha asshats who walk to first base instead of trying to beat the throw.

I was briefly infatuated with Grand Prix racing as a kid, but I'd rather be a participant that a spectator in any endeavor.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You were stationed at Fort Bliss?? Jeez, I'm sorry. So was I. Guided Missile school, 1951. ;-)
I watch Formula One and IRL and I would much rather be a participant than a spectator but...............
Max
On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 06:38:56 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Alcohol fuel + nitro methane + burnt rubber tires + noise you can FEEL provide some mighty big grins. The sound of 1,500 horsepower crackling, just trying to idle, is a wonderful sound you won't forget.
-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon

Tell it brother!!!!
Larry Jaques wrote:

----------------------------- Bet me.
Lew

Boxing can be a great sport to watch if there are two closely matched fighters, both with good KO ratios, etc. To see two big heavyweights going toe-to-toe can be spectacular. Or the insane flurries of lighter weight classes. Back in the 70's, I laid out quite a few bucks to go see great fights on closed circuit pay per views. Hell, I even paid to see Foreman fight the 'Toronto Five' live. What a farce that was. (If you don't know what that fight was all about, don't waste your time Googling it, what an embarrassment to the sport.) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sport?? Boxing??? Take a look at Ali.

Boxing causes Parkinsons?

Boxing causes Parkinsons?
Quite possibly.
See also Dementia pugilistica.

Swingman wrote:

I totally agree with you in spirit. In the case of collegiate sports, they help form an "important" connection between the institutions and their alumni (and other potential supporters). They are a thought-out part of the equation. In the case of professional sports, the benefactors seem to go on forever (restaurants, hotels, companies that make and sell beer,...). In Oklahoma, where I lived for few years, people seem to live for Friday-night high school football..lol. I'll leave it to someone who can surely do better than me to justify the economics behind high school sports.
Someone wrote (somewhere) that the athletes on the field are surrogates for us. We don't need to play tennis, we can play through <put name of modern tennis pro here>. We're encouraged to be consumers rather than producers by our culture: the food is ready to eat, the music is ready to listen to, the sports (surrogates) are ready to watch, the furniture is ready to use, the disposable fiction is ready to read. I think this goes a long way towards explaining, in an indirect way, the appeal to me of some of the (mostly forgotten) crafts. Having the ability to make stuff is important to me no matter to what level (of production) that I actually make stuff. It makes me feel more whole somehow. Taking another side, I do enjoy hot water and electricity that are ready to use!
Wrapping things up, spectator sports may just be a simple by-product of capitalism. Too much of anything is usually not good for you... Someone must have written a book by now on some of the negative consequences of sports in society? Thinking of sports as an institution, even the Catholic church must stand impressed...and I think that's really quite a statement to be able to make! Go Saints! Do you know which city the Saints hail from? Can you write down the Quadratic Formula? ;)
Bill
Two

Let's go back to Roman times. Gladiators! Defend yourself with a toothpick against the tiger!
--
Best regards
Han

I like football, but the modern fixation on sports is a sickness. When the NFL went on strike the first time, I almost gave up watching. The second time did the trick. Now they're off again? How many fans do they have left? $2M for a 30-second spot on the Stupor Bowel? Gimme a break. It's all out of control as badly as Congress. Won't someone please hit the RESET button?

What a wonderful ending for a 3rd Strike felon! The tigers wouldn't need to be fed, nor would the criminals. Recidivism rate from that setup would be zero, too.
-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon
On 6/9/2011 7:18 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

I'll agree in part w/ Bill...while they've grown and TV revenues dominate excessively, collegiate athletics in the US are a tremendous generator of alumni support in real ways besides the obvious of fans in the stadium on Saturday afternoon.
My alma mater was a complete doormat in a major conference for years until quite some time after I had matriculated a new President made the commitment to finally turn the program around and managed to do so.
The support to the university in all academic areas that followed was not to be believed--success instills an awareness and commitment to ensure success in other areas as well that for some reason is seemingly nearly if not impossible to generate by simply appealing to the straightforward campaign approach.
I don't agree that it's necessarily a capitalistic phenomenon alone, however; one only has to look at the prominence in definitely non-capitalistic countries for confirmation of that.
Back to the OPs comment, while as noted before I think the NBA form of basketball is a terrible sport, I do pay at least a modicum of attention (in large part because of limited over-the-air viewing, if there's going to be anything at all on, it'll be it w/ the sound down while either listen to a local baseball semi-pro broadcast and/or reading...

Does MIT have any teams?? Yet they seem to rake in big bucks from alumni ,,,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Different environment.
Didn't say the _only_ model; just that for the bulk of large public uni's success in intercollegiate athletics generally reflects back into more support and success in the academic programs as well...

According to their current athletics web site, they have varsity teams in 17 men's sports and 15 women's sports. These include all the "biggies", although definitely not at the top level of competition.

I want K-1 kickboxing and Muay Thai bouts. Those were truly hootilicious. It makes prize fighting pale in comparison. Well, 'cept for Mike Tyson's popcorn bouts. Cook up a batch of popcorn and watch all of Tyson's fights before you're done with the corn. (Well, the pre-biting bouts, anyway.) K-1 is one of the very few things I truly miss from my TV years. They had a dozen or so contestants and the winners of each pair fought until they had an ultimate winner. Some guys went through four fights in a row. THAT is Fight Night, guys.
I just found this. We'll see how it is now. http://www.kickboxing-core.com/videos/Videos.aspx
I miss the old guys. Michael McDonald in his gladiator skirt, Remy Bonjaski with the lightning-fast kicks to the head, Earnest Hoost, Stefan Leko, Jerome LeBanner. Artists, all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDR2AWiD38o
(kill the rap)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zxVzFjj-w8
close one, well matched.
some old highlights: Kicks at 5 mins are vicious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jq6kv3BPQ8&feature=related

somebody's top 10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6M0xp6KEQ
turn that farkin' rap OFF before it gets started.
-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood" in a thread about cherry furniture.
I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for that very reason.
--

-MIKE-