O/T: NBA FInals

Page 1 of 4
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.
Lew

Hard to be entertained when you don't care.
On 6/8/2011 4:03 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

What he said ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Tough crowd! ;)
I have no concern about the outcome, but I can appreciate excellence when I see it. Just another version of "form and function"! The same holds for bowling and curling. Although it gets harder and harder to call any "sport" in which you can drink beer and smoke while you're playing it a sport...

Never one who takes exceptions to things said here, I must proffer that in Anthony Weiner's case, I can't think of anything I care less about, yet find mildly entertaining.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

As close to zero as can be measured with current technology.

I don't think that makes sense. If you just don't enjoy watching a particular sport then no matter how good it is at the moment you're unlikely to consider it great entertainment. I don't know why basketball leaves me cold as I enjoy watching quite a few other sports, but if you gave me tickets to an NBA game I'd pass them onto someone who would appreciate the experience.

Yes, great games so far, though I've seen only the 3rd.
My wife and I were sort of rooting for Dallas even though I think the owner is a d-head. The fact that the Heat loaded up with talent over the summer primarily to win this championship allowed me to take the underdog team to heart.
The Heat will win a championship, if not this year, certainly next year or beyond. They just won't, to me, be the teams that dominated the 70's and 80's. Chicago, LA (with Magic and Kareem), Boston, NY. These teams seem to represent their hometowns. The Heat seems to represent the money that the owner has. I'd suspect that the good people of Miami might disagree.
The fact that the Heat is not running through the Mavs is good. Certainly it's great for the TV revenues as well as the entertainment value.
Go Mavs!
MJ
On 6/7/2011 11:51 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Any relationship of the NBA to basketball as a sport is purely coincidental...

While I respect your choice of entertainment I would rather watch a test pattern.
Max (or even worse, a Jerry Springer episode)

My sentiments exactly ... Well, maybe not JS!
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Max wrote the following:

Although very rare in th US, but sometimes shown, are Professional Dart tournaments. I am a dart player and was once a VP of a County dart league (the steel darts, not the electronic plastic darts). I'm mostly Irish, in case it matters. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Don't know how you'd watch that on TV. No smoke, nobody spilling beer on you, no pee smelly bathrooms .... No Risk.
Lobby Dosser wrote the following:

let me have a smelly bathroom, so I pee in a corner of the basement., just for the ambiance. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Used to shoot darts in a couple places where you had to walk between the shooter and the board to het to the john. Made the game a tad more interesting. 601 doubles.
Lobby Dosser wrote the following:

skills. I suppose it has happened, but I have never heard of a fight in a bar where people were throwing darts at each other, unlike billiards where the cue stick becomes a weapon.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

And don't forget the balls. Particularly when employed in a purpose brought sock. Though, most of the pool table fights I've seen occurred in places such as a tavern where the pool table was secondary to the business. Never saw a fight in a Pool Room/Billiards Parlor. Perhaps darts being a League sport makes the difference in the taverns. In the US we don't seem to have casual players or Fast Eddies shooting darts.
Lobby Dosser wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.
SBH wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are keeping a low profile...
Bill
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 06:16:00 -0400, Bill wrote:

Could be, In my case, any activity that I am doing(however trivial) trumps spectating. I do make an exception, I stop what I am doing and spend 3 mins a year watching the Kentucky Derby.
basilisk