O/T: Michael Moore gets it right sometimes.

Page 6 of 10

Having been in an execution chamber, standing within 5 ft of the electric chair used by the State of Ohio, listening to a description of the process being given by a penitentiary employee, had a profound effect on me as a 13 year old.
To this day, I could not vote for the death penalty.
Having said that, I am convinced that life in prison without the possibility of parole, is not only less expensive, but extracts a greater penalty than execution.
Given the choice of living the rest of your life in solitary confinement or perhaps sharing a jail cell having less that 70 sq ft with another human being or being executed, which would you choose?
Think about it.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thank God for lawyers... not

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

If you are ever asked to stand at the bar of justice, naked except for the cover provided to you by your defense attorney, you may have different thoughts.
It is a unique protection.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

This may surprise you ... me either, but for different reasons. Giving the state the power to kill its own citizens does not have a pleasant history.

That, while being forced to listen to Rosie O'Donnell, watch Michael Moore videos, and have nothing but pinups of Hillary Clinton in their cell.

Kind of like being in the Democratic party.

Leon wrote:

Except for the exceptions, of course. Of the more notable instances have been Kent State, Ruby Ridge, and Waco.
I guess you /could/ call those executions if you really wanted to...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Kent State had a bigger impact on me than any other event in my life. At the time when it happened, nobody really knew where/when it would stop.
"Robatoy" wrote:

stop.
It was IMHO. the biggest f**kup of Jim Rhodes career.
Lew
Robatoy wrote:

Where I was, the unanimous decision was: It ends *NOW* - and I suspect that a perusal of Winchester and Peters sales records might be a real eye-opener.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Kent State was a screwup. The thing I can't understand is why they continued to allow the BATF to have weapons after Ruby Ridge and Waco.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

So we could all learn an important lesson from seeing a guy in a black helmet and body armor pointing a sawed-off shotgun at a 7 year old child's head in Florida?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

As seen on a T-Shirt:
"Alcohol, Tobacco, And Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Federal agency."

So you want to continue to support and deal with a fellon that does not deserve to be around other humans?

Totally agree, the penalty is shared by the tax payers. A bullet in the head is cheap, quick, humane, and rids us of the problem.

I would choose to live.

Maybe, but what does it currently cost to get to that point? With all the automatic appeals made when someone is sentenced to death, it's no wonder that the death penalty costs the tax payers so much more. Shoot all the lawyers first then then do your quick, humane criminal executions.

As would most. You can get used to almost every situation if it goes on long enough. If not used to it, then at least able to put up with it.
Of course, I'm not sure that applies to being married to a nagging, harassing wife. You're probably right Doug, I'm sure I have myself to blame for not being married. But, I like it that way. :)
wrote in message

The that added expense would be short lived. If you know you are going to die, you would be more likely to not break the law. Right now the system is absolutely going in the wrong dirrection.
"Leon" wrote:

I don't understand. What is short lived about spending large amounts of money.

The old execution question.
Does it or does it not prevent crime?
Some known facts.
Murder is by and large a crime of passion between people who know each other so a legal deterrent doesn't apply in those situations.
People who are sentenced to death are usually poor and not able to afford adequate representation to avoid the death penalty.
Blacks and others of color are by and large, most likely to receive the death penalty.
There is nothing "bleeding heart" about the above, they are just facts.
Ohio and Michigan are very similar in many respects.
Both Midwestern, similar size, similar size population, similar ethnic mix of people, similar industrial and/or agricultural mix of business.
They do have a basic difference.
Ohio has the death penalty, Michigan does not.
These states have been studied for years.
What sticks out is that the capital murder rate, as a percentage of population, in Michigan is about equal to that in Ohio, year after year.
The death penalty in Ohio does not reduce the capital murder rate below that of Michigan.
Texas, Georgia, and Florida have the highest execution rates in the country, but it doesn't seem to affect their capital murder rates.
There is conclusive evidence that execution doesn't serve as a deterrent.
OTOH, there is the "feel good" factor, "By god, that's one SOB we don't have to worry about anymore."
In this day and age, there has to be a better way of dealing with man's inhumanity to man other than state sanctioned murder.
Lew

Compre the adjustment period of people learning that they "WILL" be exicuted if found guilty of murder to the on going period of every convict convivted of murder living free on our dollar fir the rest of his life. More liberal laws in recent decades seem to not deter crime.

Absolutely, whether it be on our streets or behind prison walls.

Well that is one reason to murder and probably the most often used defense. Still, if you know growing up that you will be exicuted for murdering a person regardless of the reason the rate of murders would go down.

Being poor is no excuse to get out of punishment for murder.

That is ture today. Exicution of "all" murderers would do away with descrimination.

The trend did not begin overnight, it will not stop overnight.

If every one was on board I strongly believe that the trend would go toward less murders.

I can assure you that many convivted of murder in Texas are not from Texas.

Same goes for housing murdererss for the rest of their lives on our dime.

Precicely!
There is, quit giving the murderers a way out of paying equally for their crime.

exicuted
convivted
liberal
There is a downside though. Anybody who has committed murder and knows that they will be executed for it, will have absolutely no reason not to commit murder again, taking as many as they can with them. They know they can only be executed once. In some warped sense, it might cause more deaths than might normally be the case.
wrote in message

That could happen, the same could be said if he knew that he would not be executed regardless of how many people he murdered.

Possibly, but then one might argue that's an opening for executions under some, but not all circumstances, which is essentially what is happening right now. ~ At least, with those states that have the death penalty.