O.T Message from The Queen

Page 2 of 3

I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.
On 11/16/2009 5:58 PM Robatoy spake thus:

Sig! I claim sig material!
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

What!? Canada moved? No one told me. Where did it go?

Well, a bunch of them think they are in France

Need to find a way to move them there awhile. After France guts and hangs them out to dry, then let them come back whining they'll be good.
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:02:56 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

The rest of the world recognizes north and south Americas, and that central area thing (with the great tamales.) Why don't you?
Oh. Bear Whiz Beer. That's why it's yellow! OK, carry on.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Continents? Sure, I'm still good there. Hopefully for another few decades.
But as an identifier for a people, I think not. We're canajuns, eh? and you are still murricans, huh?
Go south, old man, and tell anyone between Juarez and Tierro Del Fuego that they're American.
In my experience it's only the Yanks that insist on arguing this bullpucky. Makes me wonder why you feel the need to dilute your national with the rest of us.
You used to be a proud people. Now your president bows before defrocked emperors.
A pity.
On Nov 16, 11:40 pm, Dave Balderstone

Well, I know that being Canadian seems to give you super powers that enable you to understand the rest of the world.
Tain't so.
I live and work a couple of hours north of the border with Mexico. In construction, a large part of our work force is from Mexico, and much further south. While they like to come here to work, enjoy social benefits, free education, certain welfare items, etc., they will be more than quick to tell you they are from a certain country down south, and that's home.
They burn with national pride for their fatherlands, the countries that cannot feed, clothe, or take care of them in any way. They will tell you immediately (at least the ones you can communicate with) that they are "Sur Americanos", not Americanos. They come here for opportunities and welfare.

I would say for the most part, we don't. Our politicians want a world a big homogeneous sphere, but I think most Americans are tired of the rest of the world. I don't think most USAnians (nope... gonna have to go with American) know what our global role is to planet earth, but more importantly no one I know cares. It is long past the time where the USA needs to fix itself, and repair all manner of problems from top to bottom.
So rather than waste time, money and effort trying to be everyone's best friend on this big blue marble, we should take all of the time, money and effort we give away and apply them to the citizens of this country. I for one don't claim or want anything at all from Canada, and would be fine closing the borders if that served a greater purpose. I'm kind of a "don't let the door hit you in the ass" guy. If you don't want anything to do with us, I understand. But don't be annoying, just go away.
I am not sure what you mean about our gene pool being diluted by Canadians, but if you are thinking that there are undocumented Canadian aliens living here illegally, then I can assure you most folks don't want them here. As the economy collapsed, that hot issue got even hotter.
However, at least 50% or so would make an exception of these fine folks wanted to stay here under just about any conditions:
http://socyberty.com/people/canadas-top-10-beautiful-movie-stars /
And this may be tough... believe it or not... the conversations aren't always friendly or respectful in the US when discussing Canada.
And besides, not everyone, not even Canadian (if only by name), want to dilute their own good gene pool with that of actual Canadians. Must be something in your blood we don't know about. Do these guys know?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_re_Secession_of_Quebec
Just a couple of thoughts....
Robert
wrote: [snipped for brevity]

You mean stop trading with your biggest trading partner? Like take your ball and go home? Fine by me, but don't come bitching when a lot of you get cold this winter and a lot of cars won't start...oh, and when you're thirsty. Oh, wait. Ya'll just come and 'take' it then, will you? You know, that stuff you say you don't want/need?
Like it or not, we ARE your biggest trading partner. Not in 'goods' like the frivolous bullshit junk you buy from your next biggest trading partner (China), but we sell you stuff you guys actually need.

You have got to be kidding. You can have those plasticized 'stars'. That list of 'women' just reflects what it takes to be 'attractive to the US market'. You know, they appeal to the lowest common denominator. All lipstick and Barbie-like.

You think it is any different up here (or anywhere else on the planet) when discussing the US? Those discussions aren't 'always' friendly or respectful either. <G>

Yeah.. the US would really like it that the St Lawrence Seaway, a huge shipping artery, would run through 'France'.
Isn't there a state down there which talks of secession as well?
I quite like the border where it is and know a lot of your people who wouldn't mind living up here.
But, Robert, you have an open invitation to come up here and stay at my house (igloo) and we can chew some pelts and have a few blubber sandwiches and maybe even have a beer-or-twenty. I think you'll like us up here.
Snip
But, Robert, you have an open invitation to come up here and stay at my house (igloo) and we can chew some pelts and have a few blubber sandwiches and maybe even have a beer-or-twenty. I think you'll like us up here.
I am Texan, my wife is originally from Township of Tona Wanda NY, near Buffalo IIRC but has lived in Texas since she was 5.
She has family in Burlington, Ontario which she had not seen since she was about 5. Some of her cousins she had never met. In 1998 we took a drive up there from Houston and spent some time with them.
I recall her older aunts and uncles being ummmm, like family. The younger siblings however came over to meet the "Texans" and see their new pickup truck. ;~)
I recall the youngest first cousin, that had been out of college for about a year and had a pretty good job, being the most skeptical at first. She was somewhat shy and timid, by Texas standards. She may have been a hell cat by Canadian standards. ;~) No really she was a delightful person, intelligent, respectful, but she was shy.
Her mother came up to us the next morning and told us, Grace stayed up late with me last night, could not stop talking about you after the visit. She said, "they" are cool. Most of kids were shocked that we were aware that Canada has a place called Saskatchewan.
Well, you ruined everything. Got all serious and stuff. I was wondering if you might be looking the other way when I wrote that one. In the last couple of political threads, you have been either absent or barely paying attention.
I was thinking that maybe DB would fire off some kind on blather and the group vigilantes would get him. And since you wrote such a vigorous and spirited response, (shame on you for using facts!) the lynch mobs moved on.
I am a bit tired of the US being criticized all the time, though. Everything from "real" football, our beers, our government, our people, etc. It's old. We have a lot of problems, We know it. We can't help knowing it as the rest of the world uses us for target practice and we roll over and suck it up. But we never seem to fix ANY of our own problems, so maybe we deserve some of it...
Tiring it is, though. It is like being nagged by a group of bitchy women. Sure, you can gut it up, but their shrill screatching gets old fast. Actually, I only mentioned Canada because of DB.
There is a major dickwad on another group I frequent that cannot get enough of beating the shit out of the USA for anything he can find. It is an outdoors/wilderness forum, and although it is moderated, he can say just about anything he wants as long as he doesn't swear. He is an extreme Canadian nationalist (nothing wrong with that), but for me I find it hard to believe that Canada is completely PERFECT. After all, I pointed out to him the spawned him and let him live there...
He has now enlisted dickwad junior as his protege, and the two take turns jacking each other off while starting troll threads about how superior Canada is to everywhere else in the world. I listen in wonderment to their descriptions of near zero crime, perfect weather, almost no unemployment with all jobs being well paid, excellent health care and education for all, superior sports and teams, best beers in the world, and on an on. Nowhere in the rest of the civilized world is as wonderful.
Maybe... but it seems like Canadians are people too, and people mean that the grind of humanity and its society exists. No one can escape that.

Me too. I have never been to Canada, but without exception the folks I know only have a few problems with anything they experienced.
- cigarettes are about $10 - $12 a pack - anything French-Canadian was quickly annoying - too cold - bad Mexican food, no Tex-Mex (ouch!) - Canadian whiskey was too smooth
Kinda of a small list, no?

No way. If I get up there I want to dress up like Bob and Doug and eat Canadian bacon and drink Molson. We could try poutine!
I would liken that to someone from Vermont coming to Texas, buying a ten gallon cowboy hat, Wranglers, and drinking Lone Star.
Could be fun though... :^)
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said:

Wasn't that Connecticut, buying a hat AND a ranch. :)
Greg G.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:54:36 -0800 (PST), the infamous
following:

Kinda like trolls, spammers, AND the idiots who reply to them, huh? <deep sigh>

So plonk the two dickwads, Naily. It will reduce your exposure a whole lot (if not remove it.) Don't let one pair of hosers spoil your enjoyment of the rest of the group. If several people constantly quote them, plonk them, too. Life's too short to suffer fools.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Couldn't agree with that sentiment more, and as I have professed here so many times, it is the best thing for the folks involved as well as the group. But the problem here is that people like to complain about the political sewage spewed here while writing their rebuttals. I don't actually believe any one of frustrated political pundits of this group plonk anyone. I try to stay away from the political stuff as it is too frustrating for me to see that people don't see there isn't much difference in the parties they write about.
As far as bladeforums.com goes, I can't plonk, block, render invisible, or otherwise poison the posters there. It isn't a newsgroup, but a paid forum. No plonking or killfiling. I can usually skip the offensive guys but they have a tendency to wind up in the middle of a thread while you are reading away with great interest on camping, hiking, hunting, etc.
I don't respond to them as it seems to get the sexually excited when someone does, but until they do it enough to get kicked off the site, they can really ruin a good thread.
Robert
*snip*

There's another newsgroup I read where 3 people have basically ruined it. They post enough good to keep out of most people's kill files, but no one besides them really cares to read their discussion or post more. At least here we keep the political nonsense to separate threads.
Puckdropper
--
plonk, plonk, plonk -> That's either hail or the sound of idiots getting
killfiled.

Actually I am a Texan, better than...... pick your location. LOL.

problems of the US. The next battle for control of the US won't give you the opportunity to take your gun in defense of your country, it is already under way with a far more powerful arsenal, - world trade. Year by year, the US is being weakened financially, while China (and an emerging India) slowly but inexorably increase in strength. That gain is accelerating, - with it goes the balance of world power.
diggerop

Unfortunately, the US long ago eliminated any requirement that you be intelligent (or educated [exposed to history and some serious thought] or a property owner [with a real stake in both national and international events]) in order to vote, which gave the vote to people who are more interested in the candidate's clothing style than international acumen. I did NOT vote for Alfred E Newman.
One of the mantras associated with loss of industrial power was outsourcing. The argument ran something like this: "They can make it in China for much less and still have our logo on it. If we do just the simple final module assembly here in the States, it can have a Made in the USA label on it." Every time production was moved offshore, US industrial power declined.
There are also far too many people who are so short-sighted and concerned with protecting their immediate jobs that they forget the customer's needs and that the customer affects their long-term job future. I saw this in a contracting job I had several years ago. The customer was the US military (big organization, deep pockets, likely to be there for a long time). One manager was more concerned about keeping her friend (a marginally competent and minimally productive employee) employed full time than in getting the software development done. Said manager canned the remote contractor who was too expensive at $50/hour (me) and squandered the project money on hours for her friend. The customer didn't get what they had contracted for, the company lost the project, the manager and her friend are both looking for work.
John

Winston Churchilll's wry observation: "The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
diggerop

How true...