O/T: King of the Wild Frontier

Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier.
The king is gone.
Lew

What a shame. I was sure a fan when I was a kiddo.
He was one of the few that Hwood turned out that seemed to be a real honest "guy", a hard worker and a gentleman. It's always a sad day when you lose someone like that on this Earth.
I hope they buried him in a coonskin cap. Unlike many actors, he embraced the role that defined him, and had a lot of fun (and made a lot of money!) with the characters.
He was a HUGE hit here in San Antonio when he came to Texas 5 -6 years ago and presented the Alamo (The Daughters of the Republic of Texas) with an authentic, flintlock rifle in memory of the Alamo defenders.
Don't make 'em like that anymore.
Robert

Fes Parker died?
Dave in Houston
"Dave In Texas" wrote:

On his wife's 84th birthday.
Lew
On 3/18/2010 10:42 PM, Dave In Texas wrote:

Yep. He had a good run though.

Damn. Not more than a month ago I sent one of the Disney/Fes Parker/Davey Crockett DVDs to a childhood friend of mine. It was a joke gift but 50 years ago that friend and I were all about Davey Crockett and the Alamo and such. Damn.
Dave in Houston

Back when there were only 3 channels on the TV, Disney and Davey ruled Sunday nights. Every kid was singin' the Davey Crockett song. The naivety of growing up with Davey Crockett and "Leave it to Beaver" morals was something, life was simpler then.
Back when I had to be experimented on by the Feds - first version of polio shots - the famous "Monkey Blood" shots - San Diego The whole school was bussed downtown to a warehouse.
After the scare of my life, we left looking for the bus line to take us back. - Mom had to be with older sister and I for legal purposes.
I got my 'coon' skin hat and still have that baby. It was rabbit but heck - it looked good. Davy Crockett.
Those days were simple compared to todays.
Martin
d.williams wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

With Merlin Olson, who will be #3?

Rob Leatham

Robert White. X-15 pilot. First man through Mach 4, 5, and 6. First man in space on wings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Michael_White
-- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Distinguished career doesn't seem to quite do it justice, does it?

Rob Leatham
What a shame. I was sure a fan when I was a kiddo. <snip> I hope they buried him in a coonskin cap. Unlike many actors, he embraced the role that defined him, and had a lot of fun (and made a lot of money!) with the characters. ------------------------------------ He did alright money wise after Hollywood.
Developed a resort on ocean front property in Santa Barbara and a 1500 acre vineyard in the Central Valley north of S/B.
Both are deep pocket ventures.
Lew