O/T: Jessica Update

Page 1 of 2
From her February 21, 2010 blog. ------------------------------------- Quick Update on some Fast Sailing
Lots of nice, fast sailing over the last few days. Now only 250nm until we pass under the Cape of Good Hope!
Ella's Pink Lady has been surfing off down the waves, keeping up a great pace in 25 knots of wind. Despite the wet drizzly conditions (see pics below), I've been spending a lot of time on deck watching us fly along. I decided to give Parker (Here Fleming Wind Steering Vane) a bit of time off yesterday and spent quite a bit of time hand steering which I really enjoyed. I still get a kick out of feeling us take off down a wave and I don't think watching the waves and birds will ever get boring! Jesse --------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Wow, she's really moving!
Robatoy wrote:

25 knot wind does not equal 25 knots of boat speed :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

No, smartypants, but her difference of location on Jan 31 and now does show she's really moving. Besides, a sail is a reaction foil in an airflow and not an impulse foil. It is possible to have a reaction foil move faster than the airflow that moves it from one place to another. (Is that pressure being converted to velocity nugget I'm talking about.) Seeing that she is dragging a boat around with said airfoil, it is highly unlikely. :-)

Have you been following this, Lew?
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/768879---it-was-like-the-titanic?bn=1
"Robatoy" wrote:
Have you been following this, Lew?
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/768879---it-was-like-the-titanic?bn=1 ---------------------------- Just heard about it tonight.
The replicas don't have the best history fro being seaworthy.
Makes you wonder sometimes how England kept enough boats afloat to rule the world during the 17th & 18th centuries.
Lew
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:36:45 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
Very much a misleading statement. This replica as you've chosen to label it was full of all sorts of electronics, communications and navigation equipment.
And this sinking of a 57 meter boat shows quite aptly how fast and easily a much smaller boat like Jessica's craft can flounder and sink under a variety of circumstances.
Now Lew, why don't you tell us how Jessica is infinitely more experienced than the sailing crew of the Concordia?

The trip's founder found her flounder while the boat foundered.
Your point is still well-taken :-)

For openers, Jessica isn't running any square sail (barquentine rigging) and she's small enough to take a much bigger impulse before her 'windows' pop out and sink her. With that much flat sail hitting the water the chance of a big tub like the Concordia righting herself quickly before water pours in are slim to none. I venture to guess that jessica's boat would be Self-righting. Maybe even has a inflatable ball on top of her mast. I had a bullet-shaped block of foam on top of the mast of my Hoby, 'cuz righting a cat is nigh impossible.
What I'm saying is, that I'd rather take a microburst in Jessica's boat that in a big steel tub like the SV Concordia.
In the old days, the masts would have just snapped and all would likely have been fine.
Did you read about the heroic effort of one of the kids when he dove over-board to rescue the emergency locator? HE is the one that saved the day. Deserves a medal.
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:46:39 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Guess that's ok then, since under the same circumstances you'd be prepared to risk your life on a 'venture to guess' and a 'maybe'.
Might have a beer with you sometime buddy, but I doubt I'll ever go sailing with you. :)
On 2/21/2010 11:46 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Yuppers, but let's be generous with our praise - the Brasilians were on the ball, on the seas and in the air over the lifeboats to guide rescuers. A Philippine freighter responded as promptly as she was able to take on the 48 people she could find, and the rest were scooped up by Brasilian Naval frigates.
The kids had been drilled in emergency procedures. It would seem that whoever did that, did a good enough job that when it counted, the kids knew what to do and did it right.
Give the kid a medal - he did good, but let's raise a glass to the Brasilian Navy, the crew of the Hokuetsu Delight, and whoever prepared the kids to survive the loss of the Concordia. They did good, too.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Indeed I tend to take those people's jobs for granted. Job well done by all.
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:53:09 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Agreed. As well, I imagine with all those kids whose lives were potentionally on the line considering where they were, the captain and crew would be broadcasting their whereabouts on a fairly continual basis.
On 2/21/2010 1:38 PM, Upscale wrote:

I have a suspicion that it's an automated system. For example, I just checked on the current status of the Hokuetsu Delight on APRS:
http://aprs.fi/info/548356000
Some time ago I resolved to not take competence for granted - not even where I have every reason to expect it.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Probably a natural precaution with today's electronics. Guess something like that could also be configured to broadcast some type of emergency signal in the event of a problem.
Makes one wonder how Columbus made it to this continent in the first place. ~ Without all that technology to protect him that is. :)

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=352646&CategoryId=14090

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId52646&CategoryId 090 ====================== I was doing some reading on this and the tuition for this school is $42,000 a year. I know I am being a smartass, but do they get a discount for being shipwrecked?

42 grand isn't what it used to be. But yes, it is a private, rich-kids game usually in anticipation of the use of one their family's yachts? Discount? Naaa, they'll just charter something else.
"Upscale" wrote:

------------------------------------ Engage brain before keyboard.
When you have invested enough time and effort to UNDERSTAND what I said, get back to me.
Lew
"Robatoy" wrote
Have you been following this, Lew?
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/768879---it-was-like-the-titanic?bn=1 =================== That would be quite an experience for anyone, let alone high school kids. It will look good on their resume! I can see it now. I survived a shipwreck half way through the semester!