O/T: Jessica

Quite an accomplishment.

It's summer at the horn with 40 kt winds when she went around.

Lew

Lew Hodgett

I, "Gotta be Jessica Alba in a string bikini, or maybe Jessica Simpson getting out of a car! Let's have a look..." ;)

It is amazing on a number of levels. I was a bit surprised that she chose a 34' boat to single-hand. That's a bit big for a little girl...what's that old saw about the relation of the biggest boat to single-hand and the sail size you can handle?

It's great that she can stay in such good contact with the satellites and intertubes.

RicodJour

--------------------------------------------- It is amazing on a number of levels. I was a bit surprised that she chose a 34' boat to single-hand. That's a bit big for a little girl...what's that old saw about the relation of the biggest boat to single-hand and the sail size you can handle?

It's an S&S 34 with a proven track record.

Also, fairly narrow beam, so the sail plan probably isn't much of an issue.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

anything she ends up doing.

Reply to
CW

Not to take anything away from that brave kid, but I would like to see a chart of her support system(s). She's far from 'alone'.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:13:59 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

My gawd! Did you hear all the crap rattling around in that cabin? How could she sleep, hove to in that? Wishin'er luck!

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Have you listened to any of the 'music' 16-year olds are listening to these days?

Reply to
Robatoy

---------------------------------------------- Not to take anything away from that brave kid, but I would like to see a chart of her support system(s). She's far from 'alone'.

???

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:58:17 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

I surely try not to. Rap makes me miss Disco, and I truly hated Disco.

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:10:15 -0800, the infamous "CW" scrawled the following:

Pray that the pirates don't get her.

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:32:55 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

2-way marine radio, internet (with live video?), email, at minimum. Maybe shortwave, too?

I think Toy's pointing out is that she has daily contact. The others were totally isolated except for the harbors they pulled into to restock or whatever. It's the total isolation which freaks out or kills most people.

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Heh - I remember sleeping on top of a pile of ammo boxes and junk piled into the back of a bouncing jeep. You can get used to it.

In one of the videos, I heard the distinct whine of a servo, so I'd guess she's on autopilot and may be more passenger than crew on this trip...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

If you were a sailor, you would know that was a silly thing to say.

Reply to
salty

you wake up fast when it goes quiet, once you get used to the noise.

Reply to
charlie

Still a lot of work required, but it does alleviate the drudgery.

What I don't understand is why single-handed sailors never mention that they're violating maritime law. Isn't it required that a person is on watch at all times? Obviously impossible on any sort of extended single-handed voyage.

RicodJour

telemetry right into their engineering office.

Reply to
Robatoy

In the couple of years I spent "at sea" as a young man working on offshore seismograph boats, where we crossed the oceans of the world to get to our working areas, I can't recall every seeing another vessel in mid ocean that we weren't on a dead collision course with ... maybe not maritime law, but murphy's for sure. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I'm hardly a sailor, since I've never crewed on anything larger than a Beneteau 34 - and have only talked with relatively small numbers of people about marine radar, GPS systems, autopilots and nav systems, sensor equipment, and sail automation...

...and I'd welcome the wisdom of an experienced sailor like yourself in an explanation of why it's such a silly thing to say.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

It's a long standing argument and both sides have some legitimate points to consider. The colregs (Maritime law) are written deliberately to be open for interpretation. They are not analogous to traffic laws on land. The only time "keeping a proper watch" becomes an issue is if there is an incident of some sort. Then, it may or may not be deemed a contributing factor once you get to court. So, not being personally on deck at all times looking in a 360 degree arc isn't automatically a "violation" of anything. Even big commercial ships don't always have someone constantly scanning a 360 degree arc visually. "Keeping a proper watch" is open to interpretation.

I could contend that it is impossible for any vessel of any size with any number of crew to maintain a proper watch unless they monitor RADAR 24/7 in addition to any other measures they may take. Can someone in a 12 foot rowboat or a 600 foot tanker keep a proper watch in the rain, dark, or fog without RADAR? Looking all around with binoculars when visibility is 100 feet? I'm frequently in situations where I can't even see the bow of my own boat.

There are other things that may be part of keeping a watch. Listening to VHF radio is just one.

It's absolutely not just about eyeballs. There are certainly special challenges for single handing, but the big one, really, is getting enough rest. Once you become exhausted, you won't be keeping a proper watch of any description, and you will be far more likely to make mistakes large and small.

Reply to
salty