O/T: Jessica

Page 1 of 3
Quite an accomplishment.
It's summer at the horn with 40 kt winds when she went around.
Lew
http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/jessica-conquers-cape-horn

That's dirty pool, Lew. I read the subject line, and "Hot damn!" says I, "Gotta be Jessica Alba in a string bikini, or maybe Jessica Simpson getting out of a car! Let's have a look..." ;)
It is amazing on a number of levels. I was a bit surprised that she chose a 34' boat to single-hand. That's a bit big for a little girl...what's that old saw about the relation of the biggest boat to single-hand and the sail size you can handle?
It's great that she can stay in such good contact with the satellites and intertubes.
"RicodJour" wrote:
--------------------------------------------- It is amazing on a number of levels. I was a bit surprised that she chose a 34' boat to single-hand. That's a bit big for a little girl...what's that old saw about the relation of the biggest boat to single-hand and the sail size you can handle? ----------------------------------------
It's an S&S 34 with a proven track record.
Also, fairly narrow beam, so the sail plan probably isn't much of an issue.
Lew

She's my hero. Tom

Very impressive. With determination like that, she will be successful at anything she ends up doing.

Not to take anything away from that brave kid, but I would like to see a chart of her support system(s). She's far from 'alone'.
"Robatoy" wrote:
---------------------------------------------- Not to take anything away from that brave kid, but I would like to see a chart of her support system(s). She's far from 'alone'. --------------------------------------------
???
Lew
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:32:55 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

2-way marine radio, internet (with live video?), email, at minimum. Maybe shortwave, too?
I think Toy's pointing out is that she has daily contact. The others were totally isolated except for the harbors they pulled into to restock or whatever. It's the total isolation which freaks out or kills most people.
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Toys designed to fail in the open ocean.
Probably has radio contact with her base for scheduled check in purposes, but little else.
Sat phones are still expensive and power hungry, so usage is limited.
Lew

Those toys are probably the only reason her parents are letting her do this.
Some of her sponsors are a satellite communications company Satsomethingorother, Iridium the satellite phone maker and Rutland which markets wind power generators. I would also hazard a guess that she has some solar power setup as well.
"RicodJour" wrote:
Those toys are probably the only reason her parents are letting her do this.
Some of her sponsors are a satellite communications company Satsomethingorother, Iridium the satellite phone maker and Rutland which markets wind power generators. I would also hazard a guess that she has some solar power setup as well. --------------------------------------------- Didn't see either solar or wind power electrical regeneration on board, but an alternator on an 18 HP Yanmar would not be my choice as the primary recharging device.
Either way, communitation with home base would still be on scheduled times.
Point is there is no "Triple A" or 911 service at sea.
She obviously has spent a lot of time not only developing a well thought out game plan, but also the equipment needed and her reqired personal preparation.
Lets face it, she has been sailing since she was a rug rat, this is not just any 16 year old kid being thrown to the devil, but an experienced sailor.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Geez, you auld fartes. She's a teenager and it's the 21st century. She's posting to her blog and putting videos on youtube. And if she's a typical singlehander she has a wind generator and solar panels--people have been circumnavigating singlehanded since 1898--this isn't something new or novel--the technology to do it is very well established.
Regardless, she's crossed the Pacific and passed through the Straights of Magellan. What have any of the folks posting here done that make them bigger experts than she is?
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:15:56 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

If so, how is her blog being filled and how are her videos getting out? Hmmm...
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Messenger pigeons.
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:56:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous RicodJour

Of course. The ever-ready Antarctic Carrier Pigeon Service.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:10:15 -0800, the infamous "CW"

Pray that the pirates don't get her.
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:13:59 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

My gawd! Did you hear all the crap rattling around in that cabin? How could she sleep, hove to in that? Wishin'er luck!
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

these days?
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:58:17 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

I surely try not to. Rap makes me miss Disco, and I truly hated Disco.
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez
On 1/13/2010 10:25 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Heh - I remember sleeping on top of a pile of ammo boxes and junk piled into the back of a bouncing jeep. You can get used to it.
In one of the videos, I heard the distinct whine of a servo, so I'd guess she's on autopilot and may be more passenger than crew on this trip...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar