O/T: It won't go away by itself. (Verrry scary political)

Page 3 of 8
Robatoy wrote:

I'll grant you the Bush administration was arrogant - they all are (see "Jane's Law"). But corrupt? Hardly. In the entire eight years of the Bush administration, ONE person was convicted of impropriety, and that for testimony about a crime that never happened.
As a matter of contrast: Forty-seven individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine were convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes with 33 of these occurring during the Clinton administration itself. There were in addition 61 indictments or misdemeanor charges. 14 persons were imprisoned.
In a way, I feel sorry for the BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome)* folks; to paraphrase Nixon, they don't have Bush to kick around any more.
[...]

Ah, you were quoting an opinion piece from CNN. I was about to fuss about you being a Canadian while using words like "this country" et al.
Here's the original article: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/19/cafferty.bush.administration /
------- * Bush Derangement Syndrome as "the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency - nay - the very existence of George W. Bush" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_Derangement_Syndrome
HeyBub wrote:

==============Jury Convicts Fund-Raiser Hsu
"[May 19 - NEW YORK] Norman Hsu, a former top fund-raiser for the Democratic Party and convicted Ponzi scheme operator, was found guilty Tuesday of illegally funneling tens of thousands of dollars to candidates for federal office by pressuring investors to donate to his favored candidates."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124274534722334937.html
HeyBub wrote:

Thank you for bringing some sense into this discussion. Now we need to list the people that are being investigated today and those that Bama brought into his staff that should be investigated. Chuck

Sense? What the fuck does some fundraiser have to do with anything? He's not an elected politician. He broke the law and will pay for it and good riddance.
The folks who need investigating are those who destroyed the reputation of the United States in the rest of the world and squandered fifty years of global good-will (and even envy) towards the United States of America, which once was the greatest country on the planet. In this category, Bush, Cheney, Gonzales, Rove and others.
The folks who need investigating are those who destroyed the financial system of the United States. The repeal of Glass-Steigel. Insufficient oversight of wall street investment products (CDO's and other leveraged transactions). Insufficient anti-trust oversight. Allowing too much consolidation (this has been a problem since the Reagan Administration). Greenspan, Bernenke, and the Bush Treasury and SEC appointees and a handful of democrats.
The Bush Doctrine must be repudiated now, and for all time.
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

But in so doing helped elect a vile and revolting administration.

Wow, based on the first couple sentences, Pelosi, Reid, Schumer, Durbin, and Kennedy lept to mind.

Barney Frank was central certainly.

Anti-trust? Really. The only monopolies that have lasted any length of time I am aware of are the ones *government* granted: The Public Futilities.

It already has been. It's been replaced with a limp wristed form of Marxism. I'm sure you're very happy.

On Tue, 19 May 2009 17:19:39 -0500, Tim Daneliuk

stinkbait works.
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

Evidently
On May 19, 6:05pm, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

THIS!

You do know that "our"destroyed reputation is a simple declaration without much if any foundation.....While the Bush administration was being pillared for bringing the right to vote to 50 million people our two most vocal international critics (France and Germany) voted out their Bush critics and voted in pro Bush conservative administrations. It bears noting as well that well prior to the imagined Bush scourge we had repeated attacks on military installations/assets, embassies and the WTC. For those historically challenged the Ugly American made a pretty big splash in the 60's(1958 book)... American criticism is nothing new.
Now if you truly want to be concerned about our international reputation.... our current giant deficits and massive foreign borrowing will seriously worry the financial world.......Rod
Scott Lurndal wrote:

That's a fair point. Hsu was NOT part of the Clinton administration, although he had close ties to it. Hillary had to refund $800,000 that Hsu collected for her.

Some say that, sure. Many of us don't give a shit about "global good will." We view it as a fiction. Countries (and people) do what is in their best interest. Oh, all other things being equal, we'll support our "friends." But all other things are seldom equal and it is foolish to think other countries will do the right thing just because they like us. If they DO like us or our actions (as the 30 million in Iraq and Afghanistan), that's a plus. But it's certainly not a REASON to do something.

Maybe. Maybe not.
Just what IS the "Bush Doctrine?" But I see your overall point.
Looking at the Bush years realistically, aside from no terrorist attacks against the U.S. or U.S. interests abroad in seven years, 23 consecutive quarters of economic growth (a record), low unemployment, low inflation, and liberating 20-odd million people from tyranny, exactly what has the "Bush Doctrine" done for anybody?
Eh? EH?

HeyBub, you'd best be careful with comments like that. You're not properly playing to the Bush Derangement Syndrome that seems to be fairly prevalent around here and just might get slapped down.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
"Tom Veatch" wrote:

NBD when you consider the source.
Lew
Chuck wrote:

Would really like to see a very detailed investigation of the credit card donations to the campaigns. Seems that the President's campaign had verification turned off deliberately. This allowed people to make unlimited numbers of donations below the reportable limits.

So far. The Spanish are considering war crimes charges against six senior Bush administration officials:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/29/guantanamo-bay-torture-inquiry
This is being done under the 1984 UN Convention against Torture, signed and ratified by the US. This has the same legal basis as the arrest of Chili's General Pinochet in Britain in 1998. He died before going to trial.
I believe the US has tried and convicted nationals of other countries under this treaty, so the precedent is solid. -- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

First, there's a difference as to whether the acts undertaken by the U.S. constitute "torture" as defined by the treaty.
Secondly, there's a jurisdictional problem:
"The Convention requires states to take effective measures to prevent torture within their borders, and forbids states to return people to their home country if there is reason to believe they will be tortured."
Any acts taken by the U.S. did not take place within the U.S. border, so this part of the treaty doesn't apply.
Thirdly, Spain hasn't done anything yet. If they do, they'll regret it. The U.S. doesn't take kindly to foreign states meddling in our internal affairs. Nothing happened on Spanish soil, to Spanish citizens, or involving anybody that could even SPEAK Spanish.
HeyBub wrote:

Fourthly, a US official doing things to Spaniards that the Spanish government doesn't like is hardly evidence of _corruption_.

...by doing what? Try to keep in mind that Spain is a member of the European Union.... a whole different ball game than it was 70 years ago.
Robatoy wrote:

Good question.
1. The U.S. could close its naval base at Rota, eliminating some 8,000 jobs that finance the local community. That's about $200 million a year in salaries alone. Other U.S. military bases in Spain include:
Moron Air Base, Seville, and Torrejon Air Base
2. We could dig up all the roads connecting Spain and the U.S.
3. Spain exports about $10 billion to the U.S. annually. Some of that could be at risk.
4. Spain lost one war against the U.S. I don't think they'd risk another.

And you'd do all that to protect your war criminals?
Robatoy wrote:

Absolutely.
In fact, I would not wait for the threat to become imminent. Think of it as preemptive defense.