O/T: It won't go away by itself. (Verrry scary political)

Page 1 of 8
It doesn't go away by itself. Watergate "went away" when Richard Nixon resigned the presidency in disgrace and left town never to be heard from in an official capacity again. The Bush presidency is thankfully over...but the damage he and Dick Cheney did continues to press on the nerve of the American people like an impacted wisdom tooth. And until the questions surrounding arguably the most arrogant and perhaps most corrupt administration in our history are addressed, the pain won't go away. From Nancy ("Impeachment is off the table") Pelosi to President Barack ("I want to look forward, not backward") Obama, the country is being poorly served by their Democratic government. And on this subject President Obama is dead wrong. George W. Bush and his accomplices damaged this country like it's never been damaged before. And it's not just the phony war in Iraq or the torture memos that justified waterboarding. It's millions of missing emails and the constant use of executive privilege and signing statements. It's the secretive meetings with Enron and other energy executives and the wholesale firing of federal prosecutors. It's trying to get the president's personal attorney seated on the Supreme Court and that despicable Alberto Gonzales sitting in front of congressional investigators whining, "I don't remember, I don't know, I...etc." It's the domestic eavesdropping in violation of the FISA Court, the rendition prisons, and the lying. It's looking the other way while the City of New Orleans drowned and its people were left to fend for themselves. It's the violations of the Geneva Conventions, the soiling of our international reputation and the shredding of the U.S. Constitution. It's the handing over of $700 billion to the Wall Street fat cats last fall, no questions asked. Where is that money? What was it used for? It's the no-bid contracts to firms like Halliburton and Blackwater and the shoddy construction and lack of oversight of reconstruction in Iraq that cost American taxpayers untold billions. If the Republicans were serious about restoring their reputation, they would join the call for a special prosecutor to be appointed so that at long last justice can be done. It's too late for George W. Bush to resign the presidency. But it's not too late to put the people responsible for this national disgrace in prison.
=======I happen to agree with Jack Cafferty on this. A cleansing would be nice. Get that much admired integrity back, and as it seems too scary for Obama to do it, it will be left up to the people. Then kick his ass out if he keeps criminally sheltering the evil-doers from the previous administration.
Aren't you lucky that it's not your problem?
Some might consider it breach of etiquette to critique one's neighbors.
-S

That's why I always wince a little bit when someone bashes the Canadian health care system. Especially when there aren't any Canadian politicians running on the "We gotta fix our health care system" platform. :-)

Some might consider it breach of etiquette to invade other nations.
StephenM wrote:

Do you even imagine that the consequences of US political decisions, military actions, and commercial irresponsibility extend no further than our borders?

And some seem to believe that freedom of expression applies only to themselves.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I would rather see that expression take the form of constructive dialogue.
IMO, Rob's statement was not constructive.
-S

What WILL be constructive is to send the message that when something is illegal, it IS illegal regardless of whether you're the President or not. Thousands died based on lies. Torture. On and on.. and NOBODY is accountable????
A cleansing is in order.
StephenM wrote:

Rob is a shit stirrer, no question about it - but it's worth noticing that he seems to expect us to live up to our own highest standards, and he's inclined to wax impatient when he perceives that we've forgotten what those are, or when he thinks we've become too lazy or too "busy" to do more than pay lip service to our principles.
I've found that even when I don't agree with what he says, it's worth at least asking: "What would lead him to say /that/?"
I suspect that "constructive" is a fairly subjective catagorization, and that a gentle general discussion is an iffy proposition in a large forum with a multitude of (sometimes very strong) opinions and very different life experiences. If I had to choose one over the other, I think I'd go with constructive.
FWIW, I think robatoy /was/ trying to be constructive, but if you see it differently why not ask him (directly) where he's coming from? You might also find it interesting to ask to what extent he considers himself a stakeholder in the conduct of US politics...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Sometimes, it's not just the message that matters, but the messenger too. I am proud to be a citizen of the US of A. We are not a perfect people, but we do have a system which provides for self-correction.
Analogy: You have a 10-year old son who got into some trouble with some of his friends; and some vandalism was perpatrated and the guity were delivered home by the local constable. Would you appreciate an otherwise uninvolved neighbor who interjected himself into the situation to dictate exactly what punishment should be meated out for your boy?
A neighbor is entitled to his opinion but he would be well served to tread lightly on internal family issues if he hopes to be invited to the next BBQ,.
-Steve
StephenM wrote:

What you missed by not asking the questions is that this neighbor was directly affected by the "vandalism".
I agree that it's a good think to love your kid, but I also believe that it's wise to do that with your eyes wide open and your discretion fully informed.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I think it's fair to assume that Rob was not directly affected by:
"Alberto Gonzales sitting in front of congressional investigators whining, "I don't remember, I don't know"
and
"domestic eavesdropping in violation of the FISA Court"
and
"[Bush Admin]looking the other way while the City of New Orleans drowned and its people were left to fend for themselves"
and
"no-bid contracts to firms like Halliburton and Blackwater "
and
"Iraq that cost American taxpayers untold billions"
These are legitimate issues for the US to work though (via courts, legislation and periodic elections). We voted in a new administration and they are working to solve many of those issues... like reworking the pentagon procurement process, extracting our troops from Iraq ... Oh and Alberto did not make it onto the supreme court. The system actually works most of the time albeit slowly.
Most, but admittedly not all of what was cited in the OP were internal issues.
When Jack cafferty (the author) writes those words, he is using a bit of hyperbole for effect. When non-citizens use that inflammatory tone its offensive.
The messenger matters.
-Steve
StephenM wrote:

I think it's foolish to make unnecessary, uninformed assumptions.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Robatoy wrote:

Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

Why do people keep putting legs on a dead issue? Basically what you're saying is that no vetting was done. Right, I forgot, there's only one party and there's no one to do any dirt digging. Sheesh.
RicodJour wrote:

A quick drive by here on my part as I am off to the hospital once more to be the advocate for my aged father against Medicare/Medicaid and the hospital system. My mom can't do it because she is starting to have signs of Alzheimer's.
I am sure this topic and the usual self righteous politicos here will beat this thread to death while swinging the sword of their version of the truth.
Probably a little name calling along the way.
Accusations of fealty will be made.
Questions of intelligence concerning other posters that don't agree with ones that KNOW they are "the light..." they are "the way" will arise.
Credentials of posters will be questioned.
Sources of information will be questioned and then approved by some, then dismissed out of hand by others.
All the normal guys that post little concerning woodworking will be here in force, since it is likely this may be the only venue they can express their political views with such gusto without someone telling them to shut up.
In the end, if the goal is achieved, There will be a large foamy pile of pointless blather describing how screwed up the USA is, and who the fault lies with.... at least in this thread.
Can't you guys just copy and paste your old responses? Wouldn't it save time? Isn't this horse (and its variants) dead enough for a woodworking venue?
Exercising my right to free speech as a tax paying American citizen, this just makes me tired.
I don't know what the point is to it.
Robert

Thanks for spoiling the surprise ending, Robert! ;)
Hope everything goes (relatively) smoothly with your folks.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
<snip>

Just to stir some shit, per usual.
Sorry to hear about your folks. Spent Mother's Day with Mom half remembering that she had kids, then struggling with which ones of those present were hers.
The lucid moments were worth it, but they are getting farther and farther apart. All the best to both your mother and father, and you two, to boot.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

He's just trying to beat LRod's record but he don't have a shot.
Being Canuckistani, he don't know how to fish for bottom feeders.
His stinkbait recipe ain't nearly stinky enough.
He'll snag some suckers but the real stuck-way-down-in-the-mud shovelmouths will just wait for a real meal.
Regards,

HA! You just wait and see..... there is NO way Daneliuk can resist this shit...oh wait... SNAGGGGGG..bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz(drag being tightened...)