O/T: It's Still April

Page 1 of 2
Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.
Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the horizon.
Enjoy it while you can.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

That's nothing: on Mar 29, 1879, a few weeks earlier in the year, it hit 99 in LA; On Apr 23, 1910 it was 100 in LA; On April 13, 1898, it was 99 in LA; Twenty years ago (1989) there were a couple of days in April that were 105+. On Dec 8, 1938 it hit 92, and on that same day in 1978 it was 30.
Apparently it occasionally does get hot, and cold, in April, in LA, go figure...
.. .e-woodshop.net Last update: 10/22/08 KarlC@ (the obvious)
"Swingman" wrote:

100F set the record for today.
Lew

And in Houston we had yet another front blow in yesterday and this morning and cool us down to the low 50's. I distinctly recall one of our local weather persons indicate that we would be getting out last cold front in .....um mid February. We are working on our 8th straight month of nonhot mild temperatures.
"Leon" wrote:

Same in SoCal, it has been a colder than normal 2009.
Understand you folks in Houston had a few rain drops over the week end.
Got your dinghy tied up in the back yard or is it floating free?<G>
Lew

Actually at my house we got about 4.875" My sister lives in a very small town about 70 miles west, north west from here and got 16" over the weekend. They live on 3 acres and have a pond in the front yard, the house was completely surronded by water up to the foundation and about 4" deep. Had Houston gotten that kind of rain in that period of time we would have been on the nation news and Swingman would have been the only one in his neighborhood with out water in his house.

No dingy, LOL... I have seen water come up half way into my yard but fortunately our house is higher than all in the neighborhood. When it rains the water runs left and right from our house.

Correction, 3.875"

I'd never considered before this very moment [thinking that jotting a whole number and a fraction on the wall calendar being sufficient] but where can I get a rain gage that measures to three decimals, Leon?
- Dave in [NW] Houston

LOL, There is about a 50/50 chance that I will type 3.875" or 3 7/8" inches. If I am in a hurry I wall usually use decimals. I run lots of numbers through my head on a daily basis for kicks, I put numbers to everything. Oh! back to your question. I have no idea where to find an analog rain gauge marked with decimals other than the one that has just one number left of the decimal point. ;~)
Be the first in your neighborhood:
http://www.weatherinstruments.com/rain-gauges/digital-rain-gauges/2876+2880+4294767885.cfm
Dave in Houston wrote:

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:17:23 GMT, Pat Barber

Wow, those things have gotten pretty reasonable in price. Several years ago I considered putting together a complete weather station that would then log hourly temp, wind speed & direction, humidity, precip, and barometric pressure onto a computer, giving an hour-by-hour graph of conditions. The computer side of it was simple, at that time (S-100) I knew how to do all the hardware and software to accomplish it. The problem was that the instruments would have cost tens of thousands of dollars. I dropped the plan.
I still think it would be fun to do.
-- Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
I started out with nothing and after years of hard work have finally managed to double it!

It is pretty cool, I bought my father a weather station for Christmas a few years ago, It measures wind speed, direction, rain amount, in door and out door temp and humidity, and barometric pressure. The wind speed and direction indicator hard wired into the temp/rain gauge/baro/humidity sensor and from there sent info wirelessly to the main console. The main console has 8 side buttons that perform 403,922,287 different functions. Getting to see all of what you could do required the manual be present at all times. Just a warning, this one was cheap, $200, a little more invested may have gotten a more user friendly model. Something to watch out for.

Yea.. I'll bite: 403,922,287 different functions Wow...with 8 buttons! You'd kinda run out of combinations at 40,320 or so wouldn't you? I suggest we ask nailshooteRobert. He knows about those sort of things. <G>

--
multi-button infinite length sequences could probably get you more. think
tree structured multiresponse presses. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-4-2-5-3 is different

Well, duhh, PRESS '2' 18,000,000 times for instance?

Well, duhh, PRESS '2' 18,000,000 times for instance?
Now you are catching on. But really, it is pretty ridiculous. A computer with 2 gig of memory would have to store some of the info for all the combinations in virtual memory.
Yea.. I'll bite: 403,922,287 different functions Wow...with 8 buttons! You'd kinda run out of combinations at 40,320 or so wouldn't you? I suggest we ask nailshooteRobert. He knows about those sort of things. <G>
OH NO! 403,922,287 for sure. Some times you have to hold down a bunch of buttons, tap your head, and count to three. ;~)
"Leon" wrote:

Interesting, as a sailor, the weather is very important; however, being a prudent stewart of the available resources, could never justify the expenditure of about $1,000 for decent sailboat wind insturments, so took alternate methods.
The US flag will stand out stiff in 20 knots of wind, time to strike the 150 genoa and take a reef in the main.
A strand of cassette tape tied to the shrouds won't play music, but will indicate wind direction.
The clouds tell you about impending weather patterns.
If I'm on watch, I know when it rains.
I'll keep the $1,000 for cold suds.
Ahh, matey.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Yesterday it reached 100F, but as indicated, things they are a chang'in.
Today it only reached 95F, but this stuff is headed East.
My bet if folks in the U/P of Michigan will be happy to see it along about next Monday after the 2 ft of snow they got today.
Lew

You can try http://www.ambientweather.com/strgloteprra.html While it only measures in 100ths, it large enough that you could estimate the last digit. I've got 2 rain gauges in my back yard, one of them being the CoCoRaHS. It's accurate, large and very durable.
Larry