O/T: It's So Cold

The cold air continues to blanket the West coast.
How Cold is it you ask?
It's so cold they are building igloos in the high desert.
<Groan>
Lew

Sorry to hear that. We are currently enjoying our "chamber of commerce" weather here, blue skies and in the 80s during the day.
Upper 50s to low 60s at night. Perfect for our annual Fiesta and the start of baseball season. Hard to think that in just 60 days it will be around 100 or more, and nights in the upper 80s with 1 million percent humidity.
I am enjoying every minute of this I can.
Robert

Robeeeeeert????!!?

Whoops! Sorry for the typo!
It should read 10 million percent relative humidity.
(It could be more..... ;^) )
Robert

You do know the definition of "relative humidity" don't you? . . . . . . . When you ask your Brother-in-law for a loan and he says "pi** on you".
Norm
On 4/21/2010 11:31 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Perfectly reasonable Global Warming Math.
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:54:14 -0500, Tim Daneliuk

Ever been to San Anton? Robert is right, of course my time was between July to late September.
Mark
On 4/22/2010 9:01 AM, Markem wrote:

I don't question the great discomfort. I'm merely confirming that the "1 million percent" figure is as credible as most of the GW math...

That's when I was there, but through November. Lackland AFB. I had visions of hot and dry. Sigh ...

No kidding ... remembering last summer when it was so hot inside a house under construction in central Texas that the fans wouldn't even work.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

It was so cold here one winter that I crawled into the freezer to warm up. And windy! So windy it blew the light of my high-beams right off the car.
On 04/22/2010 09:31 AM, Robatoy wrote:

And no doubt you couldn't get drunk cause the whisky was frozen in the bottle. :)
Back in my high school days I delivered newspapers. There was one morning where it was -47C, with a windchill equivalent of -63C. That was chilly.
If you haven't already I suggest you read "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service.
Chris
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just getting my home weather station up - sans wind speed/direction & rainfall sensors (gotta built a Stevenson shield and mount) as well as calibrating the working sensors, but here in the Sonoran desert my readings show a definite global cooling (during the last few hours):
http://winterburn.net/weather /
BTW, these cheap and inaccurate weather stations are a Canuckistani product of Thermor (Bios Weather). The wview (open source) software allows one to use (almost) any kind of hardware and calibrate for large offsets, but you have to be willing to do some hacking.

Ahh-hah!!! Thank you for that info. I've been wondering what the term for the classic shelter for an outdoor weather station is, my no-term googling being woefully unfruitful. I have a cheapo wireless temp gauge that is all over the map, no doubt due to solar radiation and am in the market for a full network grade weather station.

I also use linux and have looked at various options, from high end Davis stuff to one-wire homebrew. I would love to hear any opinions you might have on the subject. If you're interested in chatting, my email is notbob at Q (the letter) dot com.
For you other weather nuts, I think a Stevenson sheild would be a cool woodworking project. Anyone have any plans? Thank you.
nb

Funny thing about the stevenson screens - in the first part of the 20th century, they had whitewashed exteriors. Later, they started using Latex paint, and found that subsequent temperatures were biased higher by a detectable amount (couple of tenths, IIRC). That's just one of the corrections that GISS tries (and often fails) to accomodate in their 'global temperature anomoly' constructed from surface station records.
I think if you check www.surfacestations.org, you'll find references to the siting guides for locating weather stations, including standards for the stevenson screen (which is obsolete now).
scott (I use a la cross home weather station, myself, with the linux opensource lacrosse software (storing readings in a mysql database)).

I'd be interested in more details, you claiming to correct for inaccurate readings by software. Walmart sells a full LaCross weather station fer < $100, so such info may be of great value.
If Stevenson shield obsolete, what's replaced it?
I was thinking of cutting a cheapo foam bait bucket in half (vert) and using it as a solar sheild (orienting for sun movement), mounting the temp sensor away from both shield and 4X4 post with 10 deck screws.
nb
notbob wrote:

Not much woodworking in this one, but I's what I plan to do - with a few modifications:
http://www.loganvillageweather.com/station/stevenson.html
I plan on a plywood disc under the top and bottom saucer. Also, rather than nuts and washers as spacers, I'll lop off 2" spacers made of 1/2" PVC pipe and use threaded inserts in the top plywood disc so the threaded rod won't go through. Nuts and washers under the next to bottom disc will hold all but the bottom together. The bottom will be mounted on a post/pipe and the top will be held on with wing nuts and washers. The rain gauge and anemometer will be mounted on top with the temp/transmitter module mounted inside. A BW835 solar panel/battery will be mounted under the screen on the post or pipe - whatever ends up as the winner.

You wanna know "groan"?
Howzabout when yer sewers freeze up for 3 mos and your alzy mom doesn't wanna "go out" fer a shower/bath and gets hamburger raw ass-cheeks and ends up in the hospital for a week and six inches of sewage backs up in yer bath tub and people have to 'go out" to bring in water for basic everything and one has to block off the bathroom as a toxic waste dump and.....
Sorry, Lew. You haven't a clue. ;)
nb --still not regretting leaving CA